A Spirited Perfect Ten

Lee

Adventurer
I wasn't addressing you, I was busting @Lee's balls, jokingly, if you don't recognize humor. I actually love WDWMagic. I wasn't paying much attention to what you were saying. I apologize for any offence, and love the smell of your many leather-bound books.
Hey, now...no need to get physical!
;)

Anyhow, I think I still owe you a favor from like a decade ago...

BlueSkyDriveBy

Crimes perpetrated by a specific individual who went on to be embraced, aided and promoted by that same company.
Jim Hill has never played in the same league as Teflon Tony when it comes dodging Disney bullets. That being said, it does give one pause how individuals like Jim and Tony can cause such attitude shifts from the Mouse when it comes to behavior that TWDC disapproves of from others.

Either the Rotunda Building is oblivious to Hill's past or they simply don't care. Your guess is as good as mine.

BrianLo

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, word around the investor campfire is Disney is banking huge on Shanghai DL, so much so they feel that in time revenue generated will help offset ESPN losses short term while they figure out a long term ESPN solution. The biggest ace in the deck and one they throw in investors faces is the fact Shanghai has the entire population of the United States within 2-3 hours away from the new nirvana. How to get them there beyond just being Disney will of course be the trick. One thing is for certain, if ESPN keeps bleeding without a solution, look for Disney to ramp up the parks. Its the only logical solution.

It will, by virtue of the fact Disney will no longer by dumping some 20 odd-percent of their global P&R capex into Shanghai every quarter. There will be meaningful gains even if SDL doesn't make a cent upon opening. I think it will do quite well though, maybe not as meteorically as some would expect, but this is no Paris or HKDL boondoggle.

In other SDL news it sounds like Adventure Isle will be quite woven into the S.E.A. (Society of Explorers and Adventurers) backstory. I love that, it's completely up my alley. I especially love that everything within the umbrella of this narrative continues to be unique to each locale and is very, very likely to stay that way.

Word on the street is a June opening... which means I'm unintentionally probably going to go for opening day now. It would be nice if they'd finally commit to an opening day though. :confused:

Cesar R M

If you find someone who says they have never done something incredibly stupid in their younger years, you have found either a saint or a self deluded liar. Who amoung us has the right to cast stones at someone else for something done years ago?
well, some of us have done stupid thing for sure.. but not many have done THINGS THAT BAD enough to get IN JAIL.

Translation... some anonymous person wants to get back at this man for unspecified slights and decides the best way to do that is to make sure that some embarrassing details about his past are spread widely.

Real classy.

Agree.

I think someone has a lingering beef with Jim and decided to throw his old case via forums. Who knows if this person has an agenda..
Can you imagine if they "anonymously" send a tip to Disney about all the bad stuff just to get Jim kicked out again?
It would be even more ridiculous if this is a feud between blog personalities that cover disney.

Cesar R M

does Disney vet the individuals in Social Media whom they give a great deal of access and generous perks to, from Lou, Ricky and Jim on down to the mommy bloggers, any meaningful amout of scrutiny?
Pretty sure that is daily answered every time that Disney invites mommy bloggers to events. Specially when the mayority of these "bloggers" are hardly "bloggers". They are persons with barely any video hits (and most of these hits are by us out of cheer curiosity)

SirNim

Either the Rotunda Building is oblivious to Hill's past or they simply don't care. Your guess is as good as mine.
While forgiveness, or indifference, is all well and good, it can't be argued that there isn't -- now -- at the very least -- the appearance of the possibility of impropriety. (Read: The sort of thing that could send investors fleeing from, say, a startup trying to bring a ride-share app to the App Store.)

Cesar R M

Free footlongs for 17 years
fresh..free..footlongs...subway dude... jail...

zufLMZS.gif

Why is that any of our business? Man people have a right to some form of privacy even in this day and age.
not for the NSA lol ;)

In the end, all that matters to $DIS is the stock price...

pretty sure they are like this now that Star Wars is opening..

2pmZdHr.jpg

lazyboy97o

I may be in over my head here, but I don't see the immorality of this discussion on Disney's lackadaisical, hamhanded attempt at social media. Moreover I think the more people interrogate or go out of their way to defend Hill the worse it gets. @Lee was probably hesitant to mention his name to begin with since it deviates from his point, but I can see why he did since otherwise people only would have been asking.

So we know whodunit, let's move past it and talk about why it really matters, for Jim's sake and ours...
This isn't the first time this "issue" has been drummed up. Despite always being "really important" and on the verge of being "a huge story" it has never gone anywhere. Nobody cares about this "bigger issue" because it has been beaten to death, thus the need to dig up two decade old news regarding someone who should have been an easy target.

RSoxNo1

Moving on to another subject saw good dinosaur tonight. And it was really a good movie the animation is breath taking!! Some of the best I have seen!

Advertising dropped the ball on the marketing for the movie. Not what I thought it was going to be about but was a good good movie. Pixar did not fail in this story.

Hope it picks up steam going forward.
The background scenery animation was amazing. You'd swear it wasn't animated if you didn't know any better. Having said that, the movie as a whole was aptly named the "Good" Dinosaur. It was not the "Great" Dinosaur, and will probably be Pixar's first film under $200 mil in a while.

Bolna

I'm more concerned with the ethics of these, uh, "media relationships" between the bloggers like Hill and TWDC.

I agree. One thing that kind of baffles me, if this issue here was a "skeleton in the closet", it makes me wonder what other skeletons are in other people's closets. Obviously the new shiny world of social media marketing (which does not only involve Disney bloggers, but also youtube "personalities" and such) was so attractive that no one ever started to think about with whom they went into bed with...

There are actually some people out there who instead of hiding those skeletons and then wondering when they will finally be found out, actually addressed the issue. For example Pete Werner from the DIS is very open about the fact that he is a recovering alcoholic. I am not saying that everyone should post about what bad things they have done in their lives, but if someone makes their name their brand as an commentator on a certain topic, their credibility kind of depends on their person. And skeletons really don't help credibility.

CinematicFusion

Lee, sorry man...that was a hit piece. If I polled the viewers, most would agree. Now when you say you could have done a more damaging job. I believe it, I believe you. I mean, if that isn't a hit piece in your mind...wow...what can you do if you are upset.

A mans job might be on the line. In my opinion it's the lowest someone can go. It's why they call it dirt.
20 years ago? That was one deep ditch you had to dig.

Luckily for guys like you and I on a message board, we can hide in the shadows. Say what we want and disappear.
No one but a few no who we really are.

In my opinion, It's the way you presented the information that was so disgusting. Everyone can go back and look at your first posts and make their own opinion.
Your right, it's all about perception.

This story will most likely play out and be a non issue.
20 years ago??
However, if this story does blow up...

Lee gets to be the guy who got Jim Hill fired.

Just feels dirty, the whole thing. The way you went about it.
Only my opinion. Like you said, we are all adults on this board.

Thank you for being big enough to accept my criticism of your actions just like Hill was big enough to respond to your personal attack on his credibility.

Doesn't mean I don't like you, I don't know you. Just criticizing your one recent action and how you went about it.

You can't get fired for what I'm posting about you. We live in the shadows. My post is just an opinion. Your post has the potential to get Hill fired.

[/QUOTE]
Nonsense.
If it were a hit piece, I could have gone about the whole thing a lot more harshly, with a lot more detail, and not even tried to keep the focus on the main issue which is Disney's questionable relationship with some "independent" shills/bloggers.

I've been here nearly fifteen years. Not once have I ever put out a "hit" on someone.

No, I don't think so.
The info I received was very specific. It detailed a pattern of behavior, over a period of years, which resulted in arrest, prosecution, and conviction (To pled-down charges. I don't know what, or how severe, the original charges were.) of crimes against Disney. Crimes perpetrated by a specific individual who went on to be embraced, aided and promoted by that same company.

Should I have made up a "Tim Gill" character who has been quoted by Disney on DVD boxes and such? Nah. We're all grown ups here.

That's fine. To each his own. I figured Jim was a big boy who could stand up for himself, which he sorta did. If you want to be a journalist, which by his site and HuffPo work, Jim surely does, you have to be prepared to take a punch and to be held to journalistic standards....if those even exist in this day and age.

I do not.

Last edited:

Eoghann

well, some of us have done stupid thing for sure.. but not many have done THINGS THAT BAD enough to get IN JAIL.

You might be surprised. In 2013 the US had 2.4 million prisoners (jail and state/federal prison). That's just one year. If we're going to go back over a 20 year period how many people do you think that would be who have served some jail time? Statistically speaking a bunch of people reading this thread have.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You might be surprised. In 2013 the US had 2.4 million prisoners (jail and state/federal prison). That's just one year. If we're going to go back over a 20 year period how many people do you think that would be who have served some jail time? Statistically speaking a bunch of people reading this thread have.

Maybe. But not likely. If you look at the crime committed that resulted in the 2.4 million people being incarcerated, it is likely crime that people who frequent this board would not likely commit. Now if people were incarcerated for drinking too many dole whips, eating too many Churros, erratic ECV driving, etc, there would likely be a correlation. However, your prison population data pool and your Wdwmagic data pool are two significantly different sets.

Eoghann

Maybe. But not likely. If you look at the crime committed that resulted in the 2.4 million people being incarcerated, it is likely crime that people who frequent this board would not likely commit. Now if people were incarcerated for drinking too many dole whips, eating too many Churros, erratic ECV driving, etc, there would likely be a correlation. However, your prison population data pool and your Wdwmagic data pool are two significantly different sets.

If you choose to believe there are no shop lifters, drunk drivers, people who have been involved in civil disobedience, or people who got arrested for possession of weed on these boards.... well you are free to do so.

But I guarantee there are... as well as people who have committed far more serious crimes.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you choose to believe there are no shop lifters, drunk drivers, people who have been involved in civil disobedience, or people who got arrested for possession of weed on these boards.... well you are free to do so.

But I guarantee there are... as well as people who have committed far more serious crimes.
I guess it boils down to how many people "a bunch" constitutes.

And please, don't assume you know what I believe.

gmajew

Premium Member
The background scenery animation was amazing. You'd swear it wasn't animated if you didn't know any better. Having said that, the movie as a whole was aptly named the "Good" Dinosaur. It was not the "Great" Dinosaur, and will probably be Pixar's first film under $200 mil in a while.
The name itself was a bad choice for the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom