A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

In other news 'The Good Dinosaur' is on track to flop

Really not terribly surprised. Folks will analyze it for all kinds of causes, but in truth - I think it's the same reason that last Jobs picture failed - there are actually subject matters that people don't give a turd about seeing (either anymore, or in the first place). The fact that dinosaurs living with humans is a ridiculous notion that no matter how presented, a lot of folks aren't going to want to confuse their kids with, and those that actually are deluded into thinking that was the actual reality aren't going to like it's representation here as fantasy.

Goofyernmost

Really not terribly surprised. Folks will analyze it for all kinds of causes, but in truth - I think it's the same reason that last Jobs picture failed - there are actually subject matters that people don't give a turd about seeing (either anymore, or in the first place). The fact that dinosaurs living with humans is a ridiculous notion that no matter how presented, a lot of folks aren't going to want to confuse their kids with, and those that actually are deluded into thinking that was the actual reality aren't going to like it's representation here as fantasy.
Man, talk about over thinking ones entertainment options. Barney is going to be pretty upset by that news. Well, he and Fred Flintstone. Way to deep for me to think about unless I assume that children are idiots.

gmajew

Premium Member
Because there was enough room in early winter and Zootopia drops in March.

And frankly, because Good Dinosaur is no Inside Out.

And it opened over a holiday weekend when most families are busy and going to the movie is not the top priority!

It looked like a good movie but it was not run out the door and see it. I know my wife is planning on taking my kids over xmas break.

Bairstow

And it opened over a holiday weekend when most families are busy and going to the movie is not the top priority!

It looked like a good movie but it was not run out the door and see it. I know my wife is planning on taking my kids over xmas break.

Opening over Thanksgiving weekend is actually a coveted Disney animated feature slot.
Going to the movies as a family is a something a lot of families never have time for until holidays like this one.
Take a look at this: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/thanksgiving.htm?page=5dayopen&p=.htm

The fact that dinosaurs living with humans is a ridiculous notion that no matter how presented, a lot of folks aren't going to want to confuse their kids with...
Tell that to Jurassic World.

Last edited:

doctornick

The fact that dinosaurs living with humans is a ridiculous notion that no matter how presented, a lot of folks aren't going to want to confuse their kids with, and those that actually are deluded into thinking that was the actual reality aren't going to like it's representation here as fantasy.

Yeah, there's many potential reasons why TGD is underperforming but "parents who don't want to confuse their kids" has got to be extremely low on the list. Virtually every animated feature has a whole bunch of crap that aren't real and manage to do just fine.

TalkingHead

Just imagine that logic extended to WDW.

"We can't take Junior to the Haunted Mansion, because the ghosts will confuse him."

"We can't take Sally to Pirates of the Caribbean, because pirates like that don't exist anymore. It'll confuse her."

"We can't take the kids to Space Mountain, because it might trick them into thinking that manned rocket flights are commonplace."

"Let's just sit in the parking lot. It's so real and understandable. The kids'll love it."

truecoat

Really not terribly surprised. Folks will analyze it for all kinds of causes, but in truth - I think it's the same reason that last Jobs picture failed - there are actually subject matters that people don't give a turd about seeing (either anymore, or in the first place).

And Jobs was a little dull.

FigmentJedi

The fact that dinosaurs living with humans is a ridiculous notion that no matter how presented, a lot of folks aren't going to want to confuse their kids with, and those that actually are deluded into thinking that was the actual reality aren't going to like it's representation here as fantasy.
I'm pretty sure most children are smarter then Ken Ham and Answers in Genesis and pals.

UpAllNight

I just thought the name of the film didn't help...they should have made it more personal and intriguing even just using the main characters name...it's like calling Nemo 'Lost Fish'... doesn't really excite.

Last edited:

Mike S

I just thought the name of the film didn't help...they should have made it more personal and intriguing even just using the main characters name...it's like calling Nemo 'Lost Fish'... doesn't really excite.
To be fair, the name "Toy Story" by itself doesn't really excite either but that's a great movie. The Good Dinosaur just wasn't good.

JoeCamel

And Jobs was a little dull.

I don't know how you can call this guy "dull" Maybe he was portrayed as dull but really??

cnaxD7N.jpg

Next Big Thing

Tangled, Wrck-it Ralph, Enchanted and the biggest - FROZEN - all opened on the same weekend in their runs. People will go see over holidays if it looks good/has good word of mouth. Why did Into the Woods or Les Miserable (I know, not Disney), release on Christmas if people have better things to do?

I know you'd hardly know it judging by this Donald Trump-led propaganda these days, but not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving or Christmas. They just don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom