A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Your comment seemed to be related to how the general public has benefited from Iger being in charged. The parks have stagnated and raised prices significantly, so I wouldn't disagree with his time not benefitting -- actually hurting -- the public
This is my point.

But I don't see how one could ignore a ton of popular things that have been produced -- movies, TV shows, consumer products, etc.
From where?
Disney itself (the core company) hasnt done much other than the rare hit of Frozen and the revival of a few 3d movies thanks to Lesseter (a Pixar product).
Almost all that came out of Disney lately is being produced by the IP or companies that Disney bought. Its like they ditched inhouse for "bought".
Marvel? bought, Star Wars? bought, Pixar? bought, Disney Animation Studios? went all cylinders again thanks to Lesseter (pixar again).

But more importantly, it's just arbitrary. Ok, so Kevin Feige is fantastic and talented and how does a great job with the MCU. And he's Disney. Did he start out with Disney? No, he came with Marvel, but so what?

But more importantly, it's just arbitrary. Ok, so Kevin Feige is fantastic and talented and how does a great job with the MCU. And he's Disney. Did he start out with Disney?

you missed the point again.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Zero. The result of a buyback is a decrease in the number of shares outstanding, not an increase in an amount of shares held by the company itself.

Not always... They can bank them and use them in lieu of issuing new stock for options, compensation, etc. the management is always working with approvals to issue or buyback amounts. The idea of retiring some is a different point than simply buying back

The Empress Lilly

If you first think of yourself as a fan of Disney theme parks, then you should prefer Eisner. If you first think of yourself as a shareholder, then you should prefer Iger.
No, why should that be? I first think of myself as a fan of the MK and EPCOT. Eisner infantilised the MK and destroyed Future World. His DHS was great, but he managed to greatly diminish it before the end of his tenure. DAK was crap and is only now being turned into a proper park.

Meanwhile he destroyed the Empress, butchered the Village into a run-of-the-mill food&booze fest, and destroyed forever WDW as a unified holiday resort with his endless suburban sprawl.

No, my WDW was already build before Eisner, and despite his tenure being a mixed bag with some fine goodies thrown in there too, he still ranks as the weakest CEO for WDW.

Meanwhile Disneyland was build already too, Eisner's contribution to that resort was DCA, the worst theme park ever build on American soil.

Iger for his turn has or is restoring three parks. As much as I'd love for him to restore two more, I can scarcely hold that against him.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Is Phil12 PhilKippel on Twitter?

For sure his handle is kipplephilip223 and you can find it just by searching his name.

I don't look at Twitter much (i.e. hardly at all) and fall folk in about 10 different topics (sports, science, comedy, etc.) of which Disney is one. Despite all this, I have had the luck to see him get very angry a couple of times because someone may post something way out there like, "New Fantasyland is just OK" which will cause an explosion of vitriol in tweet after tweet saying that the person with the incredibly defaming "NFL is just OK" claim is essentially a liar who deserves to rot in the deepest pits of hell. Though to be fair it has been maybe a year since I've seen this, I don't follow him, and I'm on Twitter so little that this all could've changed. In case your wondering how I remember this at all, all I can say is that I'm an expert at remembering extremely useless things and no matter how hard I try to forget them, they seem to just hang around. It can be handy when fighting with the wife if I want to win. I should note though, that by winning the argument, you really lose.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The $47.2B I mentioned in an early post is the amount of treasury stock on the books, not the amount of stock repurchased under Bob Iger.

During Iger's tenure as CEO, the company has repurchased approximately $45.8B in company stock, equivalent to 87.6% of company-wide net income. During that period, the company spent $19.6B on P&R capital expenditures, equivalent to 37.6% of company-wide net income.

During Michael Eisner's tenure as CEO, the company repurchased $6.5B in company stock, equivalent to 29.7% of company-wide net income. During that period, the company spent $21.0B on P&R capital expenditures, equivalent to 96.2% of company-wide net income.

Eisner invested in growth initiatives, which is why company revenue grew by a compound annual rate of 15.1% under Eisner. Iger's much smaller 5.1% growth rate has been realized primarily through higher prices to the consumer. Without Iger's acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm, I suspect nearly all of the company's growth has been through higher consumer prices.

Eisner created the modern The Walt Disney Company. Iger stabilized the company. Both improved profitability.

If you first think of yourself as a fan of Disney theme parks, then you should prefer Eisner. If you first think of yourself as a shareholder, then you should prefer Iger.

If you say "owning Disney stock is more important to me than visiting Disney theme parks", then Iger is your man.

If you say "visiting Disney theme parks is more important to me than owning Disney stock", then Eisner is your man.

Yes my Master I bow to your superior knowledge.

One issue that has not been talked about much is that Iger is investing for the next Quarter, while putting nothing in the tank for the next decade and with so much of TWDC's balance sheet being volatile treasury shares and relatively illiquid assets and very little cash compared to comparables TWDC is not well equipped to deal with macroeconomic headwinds.

TWDC's cable properties are also at risk because they are very light on general interest properties the best known of course is A&E but the remainder are hardcore sports and programming for young children but they don't grok the internet which is why I laugh when someone says 'Disney is well equipped to do direct distribution' meanwhile their ecommerce sites have downtimes and service degradations lasting DAYS when in the world of e-commerce a 5 minute outage or degradation is a BIG DEAL. For a real laugh check out http;//www.go.com - Yes it's STILL around yet Disney has not been able to integrate a dot com era portal.

The question is 'how much' is a cord cutter willing to pay and I say probably less than $50/month all said and done. Even Dish can't keep subs with a 40/Mo package.

The bottom line here is Iger is leaving the next management team the equivalent of Hercules cleaning the Augean Stables and to do so will require radical restructuring with few resources to do so with.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For sure his handle is kipplephilip223 and you can find it just by searching his name.

I don't look at Twitter much (i.e. hardly at all) and fall folk in about 10 different topics (sports, science, comedy, etc.) of which Disney is one. Despite all this, I have had the luck to see him get very angry a couple of times because someone may post something way out there like, "New Fantasyland is just OK" which will cause an explosion of vitriol in tweet after tweet saying that the person with the incredibly defaming "NFL is just OK" claim is essentially a liar who deserves to rot in the deepest pits of hell. Though to be fair it has been maybe a year since I've seen this, I don't follow him, and I'm on Twitter so little that this all could've changed. In case your wondering how I remember this at all, all I can say is that I'm an expert at remembering extremely useless things and no matter how hard I try to forget them, they seem to just hang around. It can be handy when fighting with the wife if I want to win. I should note though, that by winning the argument, you really lose.

There is only one rule in marriage 'Happy Wife Happy Life'.

AEfx

I'm SOOO excited this kind of underinvestment in PRODUCT is why I've dumped nearly all of my TWDC stock.

Finally, it makes sense. This is why you are so laser-focused, and so angry, about one thing and completely ignore/dismiss everything else.

By selling off, though, you certainly are profiting from these "inflated" stock prices that make you so upset, so really - one would think you would appreciate it, but traditionally gambling doesn't bring out the most rational thinking in folks so I know that may not be so obvious.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Finally, it makes sense. This is why you are so laser-focused, and so angry, about one thing and completely ignore/dismiss everything else.

By selling off, though, you certainly are profiting from these "inflated" stock prices that make you so upset, so really - one would think you would appreciate it, but traditionally gambling doesn't bring out the most rational thinking in folks so I know that may not be so obvious.

I bought at $40 when the fundamentals were a lot stronger, I sold the 'profits' from my initial investment when the stock was up on it's first climb this year I sold at 114. I kept an amount roughly equal to my initial investment in DIS still in DIS stock,

After the most recent earnings call where attendance and prices climbed by huge amounts yet earnings were flat. I bailed on DIS entirely.

I don't buy 'hot' stocks, I bought DIS years ago one because I was a Disney fan. Two because it was well priced relative to fundamentals and paid a reasonable dividend.

Jim Cramer may be crazy but his dictum "Bulls and Bears prosper, Pigs get slaughtered' Probably to no one's surprise I'm a permabear investor.

Phil12

Here, I'll assert that again.
Willow, at the behest of Bob and Zenia, had the article pulled from the Huffington Post.

Fact, like it or not.
Isaac Asimov had an explanation that applies to this situation, “I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”

I used the same quote in response to Spirit when he made the accusation and he never provided any evidence to support his claim. In the hope that he might supply even a small tad of evidence I then offered Hitchen's razor, "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

The point is that you haven't met the burden of proof required to make such allegations. That makes you a rumormonger.

She should have been forced out.
The was said perfectly. If only Spirit had said that. Instead, he reported her removal from USC as imminent fact rather than as you did with your wishful thinking.

I have lots of things I'd rather be doing today, so I'll keep this quick and simple.

I was told the entire sordid tale by someone close to the situation. Someone in a position to know who said/did what and what their motivations were/are.

I can't speak for the "billionaire heir" as to how he handled the situation. Nor can I explain why the blowback on Willow wasn't more substantial, despite the efforts of many (both inside and outside of USC) to hold her accountable.

My only intent is to establish what I know to be the facts if that whole mess.
Once again you're conflating hearsay with evidence.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Any word on when the Spirit is coming back, he has been gone for awhile now?

He's been here quietly leaving likes, Frankly I think he's just bored and disgusted with Disney's strategy at the parks of service cuts and price hikes, With that it's simply rinse lather and repeat. It's not a great time to be a Disney parks fan. We have lots of promises but little action on them.

I post when I'm waiting for a run to complete and don't have other committments to keep me busy.

ParentsOf4

What causes growth capex to go upside down? I'd think zero would be the floor. Thanks
Please read my original post for an explanation of the graph:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-spirited-perfect-ten.894588/page-402#post-6620382

Generally, capital expenditures fall into one of two categories: growth capex or maintenance capex. An expense generally is treated as capex (vs. opex) when its benefit lasts longer than a year. Changing your car's oil can be thought of as opex but replacing your car's tires can be thought of as capex. Both are forms of maintenance.

Conversely, installing a sunroof in a car is an improvement and can be thought of as growth capex.

Even though you don't buy new tires every year, a new car from a reliable auto manufacture will last a long time and is likely to require several sets of tires over its lifetime. If you did not replace the tires of your car as needed, your car would first become unsafe to drive and, eventually, undrivable once those treads wore thin enough.

The same is true with Disney's theme parks. Most of Disney's massive facilities are decades old and in need of regular long-term maintenance. Even WDW's "newest" theme park is approaching 20 years old. Older theme parks such as WDW require a tremendous amount of maintenance capex compared to original cost.

Furthermore, over these lifespans, inflation becomes a significant factor. For example, it's possible that replacing the roof of an attraction such as Peter Pan's Flight costs more in 2015 dollars than the entire attraction cost in 1971 dollars.

The point is, Disney needs to spend a lot just to keep its facilities from decaying.

On the plus side, inflation also helps tremendously with revenue. For example, in WDW's first year of operation (FY1972), P&R reported a whopping (;)) $97M in admission and attraction sales. With all the parks added plus inflation, P&R reported $5.1B in 2014! In 1972, Disney's theme park depreciation was 8.5% of Parks & Resorts revenue. In 2014, that amount was 9.1%, remarkably similar.

Since Disney does not publically report growth vs. maintenance capex, one method to estimate maintenance capex is to assume that maintenance capex equals depreciation. Theoretically, if Disney does not spend at least the amount reported as depreciation on maintenance capex, the parks will decay.

Using depreciation as a measure, growth capex is the amount spent above depreciation. Thus, growth capex can be negative when depreciation exceeds capital expenditure.

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
Isaac Asimov had an explanation that applies to this situation, “I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”

I used the same quote in response to Spirit when he made the accusation and he never provided any evidence to support his claim. In the hope that he might supply even a small tad of evidence I then offered Hitchen's razor, "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

The point is that you haven't met the burden of proof required to make such allegations. That makes you a rumormonger.
Clearly you have decided what you want to believe and nothing short of one of the principals involved speaking out publicly (which is highly unlikely) will sway you from you belief.

It's easier to believe I'm lying, I suppose...

Whatever. That's fine. It isn't my job to change your mind.

But bonus points for quoting Hitchens.

Once again you're conflating hearsay with evidence.
Are we in court? No? I didn't think so...

I know what I know. Call it what you want. I'll let my track record here speak for itself. My knowledge of this situation is as solid as any Disney park information I share.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom