A Spirited Perfect Ten

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Earnings per share will being to flatline given earnings stay steady as buybacks stop shrinking the denominator.
Right, that's the point. Like I said, it wouldn't drop. If earnings remained constant and the number of shares remained constant then EPS wouldn't change.
Yes exactly the problem I forsee.
Analysts aren't dumb. They know that EPS increased partially due to stock buybacks. Earnings were also up 22% so it wasn't the stock buybacks leading to that increase in EPS. EPS was up 26% last year. If you add back the shares repurchased in 2014 (as if it never happened) EPS would have still been up over 24% year over year. The point is the lion share of EPS growth last year was due to earnings growth not a reduction in outstanding shares.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Super Bowl MUsings:

Don't say you don't care about the game if you watched it, the halftime or commercials. Or if you even know who won. If you spent the night making love or giving your three spaniels baths or cleaning out your closet in your den etc then you have the right. Otherwise, you were part of the 100 million plus who proved yet again that live/event TV will never go out of style.

Frank Bruni had an interesting op-ed in the Sunday NYT. The subject, which I don't want to debate, is those crazy folks who don't vaccinate their brats and put all of us at risk. But the point I took from it is something I tend to dwell on here, and in real world circles, and that is how despite having more information at their hands than at any time in human history, people are dumber than ever. Technology and the internet has allowed everyone's voice to be heard when guess what? All opinions shouldn't be heard, all opinions aren't equal, and while it seems fair and noble to push this agenda all one has to do is look at the Disney/UNI Twitverse to see what a quaint and dumb notion that one is.

Anyone go to the parks today? They are never empty on Super Sunday despite a myth that everyone is watching the game.

Hey, McDonalds, I always pay with love yet you always demand cash or credit too. Have I been overcharged all these years?

Oh, hey, it's my pal Will Ferrell. If I say that will it be on the Twitter tomorrow? Yes, I do know him (not VERY well).

Super Bowl live in Hong Kong at 7:30 a.m., but with none of those commercials according to an associate there.

Jay Rasulo may well bully his way into the No. 2 position at TWDC. But don't read a thing into that about Bob's successor.

I believe there was a big misunderstanding here over the weekend involving my personal and MAGICal CFO, @ParentsOf4, but seriously, I don't know how people can question conclusions reached when using his pointed, accurate and analytical numbers.

By the numbers, Iger has been a lousy CEO for WDW, in particular, and P&R in general. If you remove his acquisitions, he's been a very poor CEO all around.

Of course, I have been saying this as long as I've been part of this community ...

Gotta say that the new Dino World film really has me much more excited then I ever thought possible.

Sorry, was planning a more serious post, but my heart and mind just ain't into it. Hey, it's Super Sunday ... Maybe tomorrow.

Cesar R M

I can't predict what the next 3 years will bring. Based on the lineup of Marvel/Star Wars movies, a pretty stable short term earnings picture from ESPN and the parks which are seeing record attendance and generally good results I don't think the situation will get so bad by 2018 when Iger steps down that they will be looking to sell off parts of the company. We can agree to disagree on this point.
What if Iger uses all the cash of both ESPN, MARVEL and STAR WARS for a "last" stockbuyback repurchase so Iger gets his last gigantic "bonus"?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Today's Disney most assuredly is focused on the bottom line.

It's the antithesis of the once fabled 'Disney Difference'. :arghh:

Ah, but the problem is much like the Us vs. Them debate. TWDC has brilliantly conditioned an entire generation (or two now) that quality of 2015 is true Disney Quality and what we experienced in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Oh, future topic ideas: is TWDC actively distancing itself from the man who created the company all while whoring his image and will every Florida blogger, podcaster, Lifestyler be at DLR Memorial Day weekend to kick off the 60th to show Dr. Blondie and west coast equivalent Erin Glover how valuable they thunk they are?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Please don't take this the wrong way but in the business world, 9 years is a long time. Whether it's 9 or 21 years, is irrelevant in determining an annual growth rate. Certainly more than enough time to judge a CEO's performance.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't judge Iger's performance because he's been CEO for 'only' 9 years?

Well, any WDW fan comparing either Michael's 21 years to Bob's nine would show the latter has been a total disaster in everything but raising the practice of squeezing existing guests to a true art form. BUT, since waiting until Bob leaves truly is a ridiculous way of measuring his tenure thus far, how about simply comparing what Michael did in his first nine years to what Bob has done? Oh yeah, that would make the latter look truly awful. OK, how about Michael's last nine years to Bob's first? Even with a recession and an unprecedented terrorist attack that brought tourism to a near stop for a good 12-24 months, Michael would still come out far ahead .. Because at the end of the day, which it is now, Bob has done almost nothing for WDW since becoming head of the company.

But we all know that. Folks just aren't all equally gifted in brain matter.

Oh, what's that? Bob is personally opening a Starbucks at the park soon to be renamed yet again that is finally losing its giant eyesore? Oh, OK, you win.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't think song selection is Davidson's fault. Seems rather likely managment wants their parades to be greatest hits over making interesting choices with other songs. I know he won't talk about it, but I would love for @WDW1974 to describe Davidson's original vision for World of Color because it sounds like the original approach for that show is something different as opposed to Disney's greatest hits.

Ah, the Little Squirt version.

The one that had a loose storyline that tied it all together.

The one that Iger demanded changed to the show that debuted in 2010 (wow, that seems so long ago now!)

Steel City Magic

Ok so I think it's all agreed that after iger, that his replacement should be an outsider of TWDC, but besides park expansion and quality entertainment and hiring on more maintenance crews, what does the successor have to do to right the ship and get back on track? How do you correct course now that TWDC is a multimedia conglomerate that has lost its way?

WDWFigment

Did I spy a Chez Remy history review on your site @WDWFigment? Did you hit every Disney park in the world in 2014? That places you in the top .0001% of Lifestylers, congrats! Spirited disclosure: I have never done more than four in a year.

For you, @BrianLo & @the.dreamfinder (I think that's everyone who asked about the Ratatouille ride): Uh...eh...it's fine. If I had never done a trackless dark ride or had never done a 3D attraction, I'd probably be impressed. But I have, and I wasn't. The concept was sound and there are some really well done parts, but in some places, it's really, really sloppy.

I'll do a full review later, but suffice to say, I was not a fan. It's not awful, and it's not bad. It's just fine, which is not what a "flagship" attraction should be.

WDWFigment

Oh, and while I'm here and since this thread has a good audience, I want to plug something: America's National Parks.

For all of you disillusioned with Disney or wanting to try something new, just pick a park. Not only will an inter-agency (read: every park/area with 'National' in the name) annual pass run you $80, but you'll have an amazing time and be exercising your birthright as an American.

(Sorry for the thread hijack--hope @WDW1974 doesn't mind given the 'cause'.)

Absimilliard

For you, @BrianLo & @the.dreamfinder (I think that's everyone who asked about the Ratatouille ride): Uh...eh...it's fine. If I had never done a trackless dark ride or had never done a 3D attraction, I'd probably be impressed. But I have, and I wasn't. The concept was sound and there are some really well done parts, but in some places, it's really, really sloppy.

I'll do a full review later, but suffice to say, I was not a fan. It's not awful, and it's not bad. It's just fine, which is not what a "flagship" attraction should be.

We both share the same opinion on Ratatouille. I view it as a nice family dark ride the park had been sorely missing. It miss the mark as the park headliner attraction.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh, and while I'm here and since this thread has a good audience, I want to plug something: America's National Parks.

For all of you disillusioned with Disney or wanting to try something new, just pick a park. Not only will an inter-agency (read: every park/area with 'National' in the name) annual pass run you $80, but you'll have an amazing time and be exercising your birthright as an American.

"birthright" I'm not so sure about.

But, cheap and interesting, that they are.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well, any WDW fan comparing either Michael's 21 years to Bob's nine would show the latter has been a total disaster in everything but raising the practice of squeezing existing guests to a true art form. BUT, since waiting until Bob leaves truly is a ridiculous way of measuring his tenure thus far, how about simply comparing what Michael did in his first nine years to what Bob has done? Oh yeah, that would make the latter look truly awful. OK, how about Michael's last nine years to Bob's first? Even with a recession and an unprecedented terrorist attack that brought tourism to a near stop for a good 12-24 months, Michael would still come out far ahead .. Because at the end of the day, which it is now, Bob has done almost nothing for WDW since becoming head of the company.

But we all know that. Folks just aren't all equally gifted in brain matter.

Oh, what's that? Bob is personally opening a Starbucks at the park soon to be renamed yet again that is finally losing its giant eyesore? Oh, OK, you win.
I disagree.

Bob has done one thing. He's consolidated brands. The fact he snagged Star Wars, I give him credit for.

And, while that seems trivial, it's not. Disney is in a period where it needs to redefine itself. Especially when it comes to the parks.

The parks are blase by the general public, and the people who truly have money to visit them do not wish to do so...but that has long since been the case by the general public. Otherwise, comedy bits about how terrible it is to visit a Disney park wouldn't be seen as funny.

So...Iger is smart, right? Because he puts the bottom line over the final result? Right? That's smart...right?

(can you confirm that's right, because I can't)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Sure, but all it contains is nature. How boring is that? There are no plastic animated bears or rabbits, etc. Just nature. Who needs that in today's electronic age.
I can tweet about my experience with a tree...

Though, to be frank, "nature" has been boring to kids for a very long time. I was bored by camping when I was a kid when my Dad took me, and I thought the lake was nasty water...and I'm in my 30s.

It was only when I got older that I appreciated those memories.

Goofyernmost

I can tweet about my experience with a tree...

Though, to be frank, "nature" has been boring to kids for a very long time. I was bored by camping when I was a kid when my Dad took me, and I thought the lake was nasty water...and I'm in my 30s.

It was only when I got older that I appreciated those memories.
I guess I have a problem then. I will be 67 in a few more months and although I appreciate nature and understand why it needs to be preserved, with the exception of a couple of incredible vistas... I find it a crashing bore. I'm glad it's there and do appreciate it, but, have zero interest in spending any amount of money to gaze upon it. Maybe it is because I was raised in a fairly rural area where I was surrounded by nature, and that is probably why I don't get goosebumps at the thought of wondering around in it.

P.S. I do understand and appreciate that many do, but, just felt compelled to express my basically curmudgeon opinion about it. Thanks for the opportunity.:grumpy:

Last edited:

BrerJon

Ok so I think it's all agreed that after iger, that his replacement should be an outsider of TWDC, but besides park expansion and quality entertainment and hiring on more maintenance crews, what does the successor have to do to right the ship and get back on track? How do you correct course now that TWDC is a multimedia conglomerate that has lost its way?

The sad thing is to correct the course at WDW would take very little, but no-one seems willing to do this. They just need to rearrange the keys.

In the past, Safety > Courtesy > Show > Efficiency, in that order, was the order of the day. At some point in the last fifteen years that priority got rearranged to Safety > Efficiency > Courtesy > Show, and that has had an enormously detrimental effect on things.

Putting efficiency below show in the pecking order basically means just putting the guest experience first, and making sure that WDW is great value for money. It doesn't have to mean reducing prices, it could mean increasing them, but they have to make sure the experience matches the cost.

So open all the closed restaurants when people are wandering around MK trying to find something decent to eat, fix up all the attractions, knock a couple of hundred bucks off the price of a monorail Deluxe room and get 100% occupancy, keep parks open longer, and yes of course the expansions (not just replacements) to keep people wanting to come back year after year.

All that would cost the company money, but it would be chump change compared to many things they've spent money on (cough MyMagic) and would bring huge long term financial benefits.

Those who visited in the 70s, 80s and 90s raved about Disney because the experience was unlike any other theme park, or any other vacation destination. The standards, the attitude of the CMs, the quality of imagineering... nothing could compete. The places where it still exists (DCL, Tokyo) show that it's not an outdated concept and can be just as impressive today as it was in 1971.

In WDW it would take very little to right the ship - the infrastructure's there, the CMs want to give great service, and Mystic Manor shows that they even still have imagineers capable of coming up with better ideas than giant hats and meet-and-greets... all that's needed is a CEO and a head of P&R who understand theme parks, and what the real Disney Difference was and why it was important.

Last edited:

Progress.City

Are there any people in the entertainment industry who have earned reputations for being innovation and creative? Like Eisner's earned reputation before coming to Disney? That's what the company needs again.

I can't think of anyone... James Cameron... Idk...

Progress.City

I'm home sick with a horrible cold. Took some meds that are making me drowsy. Before I pass out, let me share this vision I just had....

It's a Small Pandora After All

get it... Instead of Its a Small World... But about Pandora... At Avatarland in AK... Bioluminescent dolls singing... This will be the boat ride!

Zzzzzzzzz

Nemo14

I will second that and add that senior citizens (62 and older) can get a lifetime pass for $10. Can't beat that!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom