A Spirited Perfect Ten

MerlinTheGoat

Don't say you don't care about the game if you watched it, the halftime or commercials. Or if you even know who won. If you spent the night making love or giving your three spaniels baths or cleaning out your closet in your den etc then you have the right. Otherwise, you were part of the 100 million plus who proved yet again that live/event TV will never go out of style.
I didn't watch it or the halftime and commercials, nor have I ever seen a full football game in my 26 years of life (as an American male). I was asleep during the entire thing (long day prior). Nor would I have watched even if I was awake. Heck I don't even know what teams were playing. Sure I could google it and see who played and who won, but then again I don't give a crap (though it's inevitable i'll see it eventually when I read anything news related).

I'll readily admit i'm the exception here, with regards to live televised sports anyways. The only real "sport" I have a moderate interest in are a select few events in the Olympics (very acrobatic events in particular such as gymnastics and ice skating). Least of my interest in sports being "football" though (the ridiculously misnamed sport that has almost nothing to do with feet and balls, stealing the title of the sport that actually warrants being named football).

Last edited:

justadreamaway_

Would love to hear your opinion on the the Tomorrowland trailer and upcoming movie. I think the trailers are nailing it. They are well done and are really pulling me in. I also enjoyed the Optimist hunt and app release that led up to these trailers. Of course, I wish there was more. Maybe an optimist round II leading up to release.

I am wondering how this movie will affect the park. What do you think? Maybe a related new or updated attraction? I hope the movie does well, it really plays to what I enjoy most about WDW. Futureism, Epcot.

I'll be in town a week prior to the release of the movie and hope that Disney has some related events planned.

Ahem. . . first post.

Spirited Super Bowl MUsings:

Don't say you don't care about the game if you watched it, the halftime or commercials. Or if you even know who won. If you spent the night making love or giving your three spaniels baths or cleaning out your closet in your den etc then you have the right. Otherwise, you were part of the 100 million plus who proved yet again that live/event TV will never go out of style.

Frank Bruni had an interesting op-ed in the Sunday NYT. The subject, which I don't want to debate, is those crazy folks who don't vaccinate their brats and put all of us at risk. But the point I took from it is something I tend to dwell on here, and in real world circles, and that is how despite having more information at their hands than at any time in human history, people are dumber than ever. Technology and the internet has allowed everyone's voice to be heard when guess what? All opinions shouldn't be heard, all opinions aren't equal, and while it seems fair and noble to push this agenda all one has to do is look at the Disney/UNI Twitverse to see what a quaint and dumb notion that one is.

Anyone go to the parks today? They are never empty on Super Sunday despite a myth that everyone is watching the game.

Hey, McDonalds, I always pay with love yet you always demand cash or credit too. Have I been overcharged all these years?

Oh, hey, it's my pal Will Ferrell. If I say that will it be on the Twitter tomorrow? Yes, I do know him (not VERY well).

Super Bowl live in Hong Kong at 7:30 a.m., but with none of those commercials according to an associate there.

Jay Rasulo may well bully his way into the No. 2 position at TWDC. But don't read a thing into that about Bob's successor.

I believe there was a big misunderstanding here over the weekend involving my personal and MAGICal CFO, @ParentsOf4, but seriously, I don't know how people can question conclusions reached when using his pointed, accurate and analytical numbers.

By the numbers, Iger has been a lousy CEO for WDW, in particular, and P&R in general. If you remove his acquisitions, he's been a very poor CEO all around.

Of course, I have been saying this as long as I've been part of this community ...

Gotta say that the new Dino World film really has me much more excited then I ever thought possible.

Sorry, was planning a more serious post, but my heart and mind just ain't into it. Hey, it's Super Sunday ... Maybe tomorrow.

OSUgirl77

I can tweet about my experience with a tree...

Though, to be frank, "nature" has been boring to kids for a very long time. I was bored by camping when I was a kid when my Dad took me, and I thought the lake was nasty water...and I'm in my 30s.

It was only when I got older that I appreciated those memories.
I can see being bored by camping in random woods somewhere, but visiting places like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are a different story. There is definitely nothing boring about watching a grizzly bear stroll along 50 yards from your car, or turning a corner to see big horn sheep laying on the side of the road. Not to mention getting to see things like geysers, canyons and waterfalls.

hpyhnt 1000

In the past, Safety > Courtesy > Show > Efficiency, in that order, was the order of the day. At some point in the last fifteen years that priority got rearranged to Safety > Efficiency > Courtesy > Show, and that has had an enormously detrimental effect on things.

[...]

Those who visited in the 70s, 80s and 90s raved about Disney because the experience was unlike any other theme park, or any other vacation destination. The standards, the attitude of the CMs, the quality of imagineering... nothing could compete. The places where it still exist (DCL, Tokyo) show that it's not an outdated concept and can be just as impressive today as it was in 1971.

Agree on the new defacto order of the keys. Unfortunately, MM+ just doubles down on making efficiency a priority. The whole program was/is designed to move people around more effectively and to tap into the potential of "underperforming" rides and shows. It basically a program that says to heck with building new attractions - let's just cram more people into the ones we already have.

Also worth noting that, from the 70s - 90s, an on-site Disney vacation was pricy but not exorbitant like it is today (insert helpful @ParentsOf4 chart here). It made the experience all the more MAGICAL (to borrow a phrase) because it was like getting 5 star treatment at a 3 star price. Today, it often seems like the reverse.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I didn't watch it or the halftime and commercials, nor have I ever seen a full football game in my 26 years of life (as an American male). I was asleep during the entire thing (long day prior). Nor would I have watched even if I was awake. Heck I don't even know what teams were playing. Sure I could google it and see who played and who won, but then again I don't give a **** (though it's inevitable i'll see it eventually when I read anything news related).

I'll readily admit i'm the exception here, with regards to live televised sports anyways. The only real "sport" I have a moderate interest in are a select few events in the Olympics (very acrobatic events in particular such as gymnastics and ice skating). Least of my interest in sports being "football" though (the ridiculously misnamed sport that has almost nothing to do with feet and balls, stealing the title of the sport that actually warrants being named football).
You are not alone. I never watch football. I cannot get past the fact that it is called Football when feet come no where near it almost the entire time. But that aside, I did watch this Superbowl. Why, you ask since you seem to think it is foolish? Well, because my Grandson asked me to come over and watch it with his Father and Mom. Being the grumpy SOB that I am, I agreed to do it. (Just one of the sacrifices that one makes in connection with parenthood.) I do have to admit the the first half was a snooze-fest. They kept talking about... now we got a Superbowl game because the score was tied at the end of the first half. 14 to 14! I kept asking what exactly is the difference from when it started at zero to zero. They were in exactly the same place using different numbers. Anyway the second half wasn't that much more interesting until the last 4 minutes of the game. Then it became exciting. When I originally entered the room I was asked what team I was backing. Since I am from New England (and so are they by the way) I just said "the Patriots". Inside not caring one way of the other. All I knew for sure was that I didn't want it to go into overtime.

In that last 4 minutes it went from NE being the obvious winners, back slapping and everything else to, wait a minute now... Seahawks are falling over forward distance from the goal line with plenty of time to get it over for the win. Then the unthinkable happened and they put the ball in the air and it was intercepted. Everyone in the room went insane as did the Seahawks who seemed determined to turn it into a boxing match instead of football. Seemed like a real strong display of sportsmanship to me. Every word uttered since that play has been "why didn't they keep it on the ground, hand it off to one of their human bulldozers and carry it over the line? Good question.

As a neophyte in the game, the reaction I heard was that everyone expected them to do that, including the Patriots. I thought that the bold move to do the unexpected was actually a good one had it not been for that interception. Had it worked the coach would have been hailed as a hero. But, alas it didn't so now he is lower then whale poop. Silly game, but, man was I ever impressed with the Half Time Show. That made everything that Disney has done in the last 10 years seem like stick figure drawings.

BrerJon

It made the experience all the more MAGICAL (to borrow a phrase) because it was like getting 5 star treatment at a 3 star price. Today, it often seems like the reverse.

This hits the nail on the head. Half the problem with entitled guests comes from people expecting 5 star service, as that's what they've paid for, instead of being floored by how amazing the experience is for what they were paying, as it was in the past. Disney was always priced at a premium, but you got what you paid for. Now, less so.

RSoxNo1

For you, @BrianLo & @the.dreamfinder (I think that's everyone who asked about the Ratatouille ride): Uh...eh...it's fine. If I had never done a trackless dark ride or had never done a 3D attraction, I'd probably be impressed. But I have, and I wasn't. The concept was sound and there are some really well done parts, but in some places, it's really, really sloppy.

I'll do a full review later, but suffice to say, I was not a fan. It's not awful, and it's not bad. It's just fine, which is not what a "flagship" attraction should be.
From the looks of it, it's Spiderman without the scoop vehicles.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What if Iger uses all the cash of both ESPN, MARVEL and STAR WARS for a "last" stockbuyback repurchase so Iger gets his last gigantic "bonus"?
He could spend all of the cash on a big going away party with hookers and cocaine too. Maybe throw in some midget tossing:)

Look, we really have no idea what will happen in the next 3 years. The scenario that @ford91exploder painted is that the new CEO will take over a company in such bad shape and strapped for cash that they will have no choice but to sell off components of the company to stay afloat. I would say that's highly, highly unlikely.

As much as I don't like Iger's attitude and commitment to WDW he isn't dumb. He rarely takes a risk. I just can't see him doing the things you guys are suggesting in the next 3 years that would ruin the company. He just doesn't have the stones to do anything that bold. His lack of vision may very well damage the long term value of the company. The lack of attention at WDW is going to cost some future CEO a lot of pain and a lot of money.

Mike S

I can see being bored by camping in random woods somewhere, but visiting places like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are a different story. There is definitely nothing boring about watching a grizzly bear stroll along 50 yards from your car, or turning a corner to see big horn sheep laying on the side of the road. Not to mention getting to see things like geysers, canyons and waterfalls.
Or taking an airboat ride with your family, stopping next to an Alligator, and then the Gator bites an area of the boat right next to your uncle :hilarious:

Expo_Seeker40

With all the hype about Disneyland's 60th and the upcoming WoC tribute to Walt Disney, I took particular interest that the owners of Micage have bought the the house in Chicago where Walt Disney was born in and they are seeking donations. I'm divided on them asking fans for help. The house is nothing like it was in 1901 and the Walt Disney Family Museum has never had interest in it.

If the property was so important, why has the Disney Family never tried to buy it or get it landmarked every time the house has been up for sale? It seems weird to me as the place has little connection to Walt and has changed so much over the years. Even if they can refurbish it or make it look like 1901, no one knows what was actually IN the house or how it looked in every room when Walt was born there. @marni1971 @WDW1974 @Lee @ParentsOf4 any thoughts on this?

Many famous people are born in a house and never grow up there. Wouldn't more of Walt's history be tied to Marceline and California?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
He could spend all of the cash on a big going away party with hookers and cocaine too. Maybe throw in some midget tossing:)

Look, we really have no idea what will happen in the next 3 years. The scenario that @ford91exploder painted is that the new CEO will take over a company in such bad shape and strapped for cash that they will have no choice but to sell off components of the company to stay afloat. I would say that's highly, highly unlikely.

As much as I don't like Iger's attitude and commitment to WDW he isn't dumb. He rarely takes a risk. I just can't see him doing the things you guys are suggesting in the next 3 years that would ruin the company. He just doesn't have the stones to do anything that bold. His lack of vision may very well damage the long term value of the company. The lack of attention at WDW is going to cost some future CEO a lot of pain and a lot of money.

@GoofGoof

Perhaps I'm not making my point clear, No Iger will not do anything stupid, But his buyback program is what is maintaining the current high stock price, A new CEO and Board would need to dial that program back IF they reinvest in the company which would immediately create pressure as EPS numbers would no longer have the advantage of a constantly diminishing number of shares.

With a relatively small cash reserve, A new board is going to have to raise cash for investment somehow and I don't see any scenarios where the stock price does not take a dive due to reduced 'profitability' now the company will be JUST as productive as it was before, Its that the profitability will not have the artificial boost of having around 110,000 millon shares repurchased each year.

I don't see a scenario where the 'Street does not punish TWDC for reinvesting in the business is all.

GrammieBee

I can tweet about my experience with a tree...

Though, to be frank, "nature" has been boring to kids for a very long time. I was bored by camping when I was a kid when my Dad took me, and I thought the lake was nasty water...and I'm in my 30s.

It was only when I got older that I appreciated those memories.

Our children loved caamping, hiking and the National Parks. They also loved WDW. Museums; not so much.

Last edited:

Nubs70

@GoofGoof

Perhaps I'm not making my point clear, No Iger will not do anything stupid, But his buyback program is what is maintaining the current high stock price, A new CEO and Board would need to dial that program back IF they reinvest in the company which would immediately create pressure as EPS numbers would no longer have the advantage of a constantly diminishing number of shares.

With a relatively small cash reserve, A new board is going to have to raise cash for investment somehow and I don't see any scenarios where the stock price does not take a dive due to reduced 'profitability' now the company will be JUST as productive as it was before, Its that the profitability will not have the artificial boost of having around 110,000 millon shares repurchased each year.

I don't see a scenario where the 'Street does not punish TWDC for reinvesting in the business is all.
With the small reserve of cash, WDW may resort to a bond offering to fund expansion and upkeep. This way they could raise substantial capital and only have to service the debt.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With the small reserve of cash, WDW may resort to a bond offering to fund expansion and upkeep. This way they could raise substantial capital and only have to service the debt.

Point taken, We still have the problem of TWDC has not done anything with the top line revenues, Most of the increases have been fueled by price increases and cuts in product quality across all lines of business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom