A Spirited Perfect Ten

doctornick

I'd go further and say if you ask people to name a film that was ugly and an unpleasant experience on the senses to watch, Transformers movies would be quite high up on the list.

Pacific Rim is such a better giant robot movie, for so many reasons, and a Transformers movie in that style, by someone who grew up playing with the toys instead of someone like Bay who was just handed the licence by a studio, could be incredible.

Totally agree. I love Transformers and grew up playing with the toys and watching the cartoon. I would love to see a movie featuring the characters that actually captured the look and essence of them; it would have to be a lot more campy than the Bay films, though, and he doesn't seem interested in that style.

BrerJon

Totally agree. I love Transformers and grew up playing with the toys and watching the cartoon. I would love to see a movie featuring the characters that actually captured the look and essence of them; it would have to be a lot more campy than the Bay films, though, and he doesn't seem interested in that style.

A lot of the popularity of Transformers originally came from the comics and TV show, very much Marvel properties at the time, and I've always felt it needs to be interpreted through that lens of being a comic book property, instead of just sticking giant toys on screen, so I'd love to see some of the talents behind the Marvel Cinematic movies tackle Transformers. Maybe if Disney buys Hasbro...

I feel like Transformers is 15 years behind everyone else. Current Transformers movies seem paranoid people won't take them seriously, so it's all grim and hyper realistic with what passes for jokes being few and far between, and unfunny. There seems a belief amongst many executives that the public have trouble suspending disbelief when faced with ridiculous concepts.

Meanwhile at Marvel, movies like The Avengers have shown you can be very faithful to silly comic source material, with costumes that look like they do in the books, and far-fetched plots with lots of jokes and comedy, but instead of alienating audiences, they love it.

If the script is good, people will buy into it regardless of how crazy it is. People buy into far stranger things from Pixar than giant talking robots, and with the right team you could do Transformers that aren't that different from how they were in the 80s and it would still look great and generate huge numbers at the box office.

Comic book movies can always be interpreted in many ways - Batman has had the cinematic visions of Burton, Schumacher and Nolan - all very different, but so far the only Transformers movies have been Bay's, movies with barely anything in common with the source material. Once he's out of the picture and someone a decade or two younger is given the reins and a clean slate, we could see some very cool films come along.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
A lot of the popularity of Transformers originally came from the comics and TV show, very much Marvel properties at the time, and I've always felt it needs to be interpreted through that lens of being a comic book property, instead of just sticking giant toys on screen, so I'd love to see some of the talents behind the Marvel Cinematic movies tackle Transformers. Maybe if Disney buys Hasbro...

I can see that...everyone will be asking "when will Disney get the rights back from Universal to build their own Transformers rides? waah...waah..."

Cesar R M

I just love the pontificating on the art of The Summer Blockbuster. Who here has directed a better, more profitable Summer Blockbuster than JW?

They are not easy to make, there is an art that not even Spielberg has been successful at truly mastering (Crystal Skull comes to mind).
Crystal Skull was decent.. until Shia crapped all over it lol
he looked sooo out of the movie when he was added.
Sort like a Fish in the middle of the desert.

Not to mention the "bad guy" person felt very weak.

Contrary to spirited assertions, Willow Bay is still director of the USC Annenberg School of Journalism.
ZrBbVTn.gif

AEfx

I still want to see The Rock in the Live action Bambi :p

On a related note, I get so depressed when I keep reading him actually getting role after role....I don't understand it. He is an awful awful presence in any film (I can't even call him an actor). It's not even like he's attractive either, skating by on his looks. I just cannot figure it out and I feel like the whole world in somehow being punk'd by his continued presence.

AEfx

Contrary to spirited assertions, Willow Bay is still director of the USC Annenberg School of Journalism.

It's because of a vast conspiracy involving Donald Trump, Josh Duggar, and Jared from Subway. Quid pro quo - she sold all three of them out to save herself from the controversy of "someone she knows socially took down a slanderous opinion piece written about Disney by someone who's family owns another company which in direct competition with them".

The highest of the highest levels of the WDC are watching this specific thread moment to moment, though - so we best keep quiet.

Tigger1988

On a related note, I get so depressed when I keep reading him actually getting role after role....I don't understand it. He is an awful awful presence in any film (I can't even call him an actor). It's not even like he's attractive either, skating by on his looks. I just cannot figure it out and I feel like the whole world in somehow being punk'd by his continued presence.
Remember that short period where he told everyone that he didn't want to be called The Rock anymore? A few flops had him backtracking real fast on that one.

AEfx

Remember that short period where he told everyone that he didn't want to be called The Rock anymore? A few flops had him backtracking real fast on that one.

Haha, honestly - no, because I do try to avoid him when at all possible. But now that you say that it is funny that he was Dwayne for awhile and not again now (there is only one Dwayne for me, and that's Dwayne Wayne - pookie!!!).

Usually if I don't like someone I just don't pay attention, but he keeps crapping up, I mean...er, cropping up in everything (now he's in the DC films), and it's like "whaaaa?" He's the male Kristin Stewart. I don't know anyone that likes them, their behavior generally makes anyone who I know who does care want to slap them silly...it's like this great mystery of the universe.

Cosmic Commando

Kristen Stewart looks like she loves life like my cat loves the bathtub. The Rock oozes charisma; that's why he's so popular. I've loved him since I watched him as a teenager during the WWF Attitude era in the late 90s, and I'm not ashamed to say it. I don't want to see him doing Shakespeare, but he's fine as this generation's action star. He's even done his Kindergarten Cop already:
1toothfairy.jpg

Edit: Actually, I take that back-- the Rock doing Shakespeare would be awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom