A Spirited Perfect Ten

Brer Panther

SVEN2.png
Maximus_Tangled_h2.jpg
I firmly believe that the reason why Sven was created was because Disney wanted to cash in on the success of Maximus.
Isn't there supposed to be a pig, too?

FigmentJedi

I firmly believe that the reason why Sven was created was because Disney wanted to cash in on the success of Maximus.

Sven's also inspired by the reindeer of the original story.

And yeah, there's a pig. Just bringing up the bird because you know, Tiki Room.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'll try to dig it up later - Motley fool also had an article on DIS short positions back in march/april or so this year
Since last year the DIS short % has hovered between 2.2 and 2.6% of float and was in the ballpark of 40 to 50M shares. The last data I could find was from the end of July before the earnings release and DIS was #45 on the list for total shares short and not in the top 50 for %. I haven't seen any info on the number of shares short after the earnings release. If you have that I would be interested in seeing what has changed (if anything).

Most of the top 50 in total shares short were Fortune 100 companies. I suspect that is driven more by people betting on a total market collapse or at least a correction as opposed to people betting on individual stock performance. The whole market has had a strong run, but a correction is due. Short a bunch of the top stocks and then when the market correction hits cash in.

Mouse Trap

Since last year the DIS short % has hovered between 2.2 and 2.6% of float and was in the ballpark of 40 to 50M shares. The last data I could find was from the end of July before the earnings release and DIS was #45 on the list for total shares short and not in the top 50 for %. I haven't seen any info on the number of shares short after the earnings release. If you have that I would be interested in seeing what has changed (if anything).

Most of the top 50 in total shares short were Fortune 100 companies. I suspect that is driven more by people betting on a total market collapse or at least a correction as opposed to people betting on individual stock performance. The whole market has had a strong run, but a correction is due. Short a bunch of the top stocks and then when the market correction hits cash in.

That's probably one of the most dangerous pieces of advice I have ever read on a forum full of retail investors. Please don't give people that idea. If you are going to short something, short a S&P 500 ETF not a random selection of blue chips.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Disney has been using the blatant model of two sidekick goofball critters in their animated films for years and years. I think the biggest offense was the raccoon and humming bird in Pocahontas, who served very little purpose.

Disney will never truly drop that Schtick - it just works too well. The same way Pixar will always come back to buddy movies.

Now is that a bad thing? Not usually, but once in a while it can be phoning it in. The gecco from Tangled is more pointless than Sven, imo.

Bairstow

Disney has been using the blatant model of two sidekick goofball critters in their animated films for years and years. I think the biggest offense was the raccoon and humming bird in Pocahontas, who served very little purpose.

Don't forget that it was a raccoon and a hummingbird and a pug.
I think originally it was going to be a raccoon and a hummingbird and a pug and a turkey voiced by John Candy.

Mulan is even more excessive, with a cricket and a horse and a dog and a dragon.

Brer Panther

Personally, I miss characters like Louis, Ray, and Mushu. The "non-talking animal" thing just doesn't appeal to me. It was fine in Tangled, but that's it.

Don't forget that it was a raccoon and a hummingbird and a pug.
I think originally it was going to be a raccoon and a hummingbird and a pug and a turkey voiced by John Candy.

How much better of a movie would Pocahontas be if they left that turkey in? Seriously.

lazyboy97o

in other news.. some Toys 'r Us are ruining the "surprise" for those Star Wars THE FORCE AWAKENs fans.. by releasing and selling the toys earlier.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08...e-awakens-toys-accidentally-revealed-and-sold
No surprise was ruined. These toys were scheduled for release two months ahead of the film. It's also stuff that has been seen already in other promotional materials, and no matter how much some people here whine promotional materials are not spoilers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's probably one of the most dangerous pieces of advice I have ever read on a forum full of retail investors. Please don't give people that idea. If you are going to short something, short a S&P 500 ETF not a random selection of blue chips.
Last I checked this was WDWmagic in the news and rumors section not a forum for investment advice. If you are taking investment advice from a Disney fan forum at least avoid a guy with a picture of goofy:cool:. Seriously, I'm not sure how you got from my post that I was advising anyone to do anything. I'll add the appropriate disclaimer here:
  • Please do not consider anything I posted in the past or will post in the future to be investment advice. Consult your investment advisor before making any decisions based on anything you read here (or anywhere else online for that matter). This goes double for tax advice. Pretty much everything I say related to theme parks is 100% accurate and should always be taken on its face without question:geek::);)
I stick by my comments. There are many people who feel the stock market is overpriced and due for a correction. It's had a really great run. Just because someone is shorting a specific stock or a selection of specific stocks doesn't mean they definitely feel that the companies are in trouble or are heading for an Enron style collapse. They may just feel the price is higher than it should be and are trying to time the drop. The drop may also be nothing more than a broader market correction and could have little to do with company fundamentals.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not that ESPN.com was ever the greatest website ever, but it truly sucks now. I went looking for some news on my favorite team everything is tweets and videos. I don't want to read tweets or watch videos, I want some actual sports reporting. I guess that's why my visits to ESPN.com have gone from daily to once a week. They even suck for looking up scores now, it is easier to just google the two teams involved or event.
The worst part is when you find something you actually are interested in reading like NFL draft projections and its insider only. I refuse to pay to read stuff that is free everywhere else.

Cesar R M

No surprise was ruined. These toys were scheduled for release two months ahead of the film. It's also stuff that has been seen already in other promotional materials, and no matter how much some people here whine promotional materials are not spoilers.
still.. SEPTEMBER BUDDY..
thats one month ahead of schedule.

Wikkler

Let's compare how fast it takes me to get information from Google and from ESPN
New Tab on my Browser - Type "Cubs vs. Giants" in omnibar - Google results - 3 to 7 - 6.43 seconds
ESPN.go.com - Click on MLB under the pulldown menu at the top left - Click on August 7th under another pull down menu - 3 to 7 - 13.15 seconds

Mouse Trap

Last I checked this was WDWmagic in the news and rumors section not a forum for investment advice. If you are taking investment advice from a Disney fan forum at least avoid a guy with a picture of goofy:cool:. Seriously, I'm not sure how you got from my post that I was advising anyone to do anything. I'll add the appropriate disclaimer here:
  • Please do not consider anything I posted in the past or will post in the future to be investment advice. Consult your investment advisor before making any decisions based on anything you read here (or anywhere else online for that matter). This goes double for tax advice. Pretty much everything I say related to theme parks is 100% accurate and should always be taken on its face without question:geek::);)
I stick by my comments. There are many people who feel the stock market is overpriced and due for a correction. It's had a really great run. Just because someone is shorting a specific stock or a selection of specific stocks doesn't mean they definitely feel that the companies are in trouble or are heading for an Enron style collapse. They may just feel the price is higher than it should be and are trying to time the drop. The drop may also be nothing more than a broader market correction and could have little to do with company fundamentals.

Due to my faith in humanity, I wouldn't be surprised if someone took investment advice from Goofy himself. But hey, you put your opinion out there Disney forum or not... so I gave you mine. Reckless and a nice way to lose some money. Individual stock picking is gambling, shorting individual blue chips is Russian roulette.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I didnt hear of any.

Someone correct me if I'm off base but doesnt the SEC require filings if company officers sell their stock?

I look at this as a hickup. Consumer Products & licensing is gonna have a great Q1FY16. Studios should as well. Its the prime season for ESPN.

The past month of "up, up, up, up" was bound to burst.
Both Iger and Rasulo have sold millions of company stock in the last two years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom