A Spirited Perfect Ten

SirLink

Not saying popcorn movies in general--of course those are evergreen. But it won't be guys in leather versions of comic book spandex doing the beating up forever. The good guys always still win in the showdown at the end, but they're rarely cowboys or starship pilots anymore.

Superheroes have been beating up guys on the silver screen for decades since the 60s maybe earlier. Maybe a bit to soon to call time, when the stories are diverse. So what do you think is the next great undiscovered sub-genre of action films then?

gmajew

Premium Member
Superheroes have been beating up guys on the silver screen for decades since the 60s maybe earlier. Maybe a bit to soon to call time, when the stories are diverse. So what do you think is the next great undiscovered sub-genre of action films then?

These movies are not going to go anywhere for a long time. They may not always do the numbers they are currently doing. And the next week release of Fantastic 4 will a big wait and see moment as the last set of movies were not good and not long ago. But as Ant-Man has shown with a proper budget they can be highly profitable and a success.

PhotoDave219

WKMG is reporting that the suspect arrested yesterday, 26-year-old Hector M. Herrera, of Kissimmee, is a cook at the grand Floridian resort and spa.

Quinnmac000

Hopefully you're not comparing Sharknado to Star Wars. I'm very much a Star Wars fanbois, but I know plenty of more casual SW fans that are very hyped for this movie based on the trailers. Star Wars has been a part of Americana for almost 40 years and has continued to be culturally relevant through the vast majority of that time with even younger fans coming onboard due to the prequel trilogy and now Clone Wars & Rebels (not to mention the hundred plus books and comic series). Is the general public "geeked" for SW? Probably much more than they are for the average movie release solely based on Star Wars' historical significance.

I'm not. I'm just stating hype, tweets, positive responses on the internet (especially reddit who have perputually wrong in how well certain films will do) and youtube views doesn't equate ticket sales later on or how large a fanbase is. WDW1974 stated people didn't clap or even react to the trailer in theatres, you stated it was well received based on what you read online. I'm providing a counter Star Wars is popular no doubt but people have continually put unrealistic expectations towards Disney products lately just for them to not perform as well as hoped. Almost every single Disney product has underperformed estimates with the exception of Inside Out.

I think that will cross over to Star Wars and thoughts and expectations should be tempered. Literally have seen people say it will break $1 billion opening weekend and these people are serious. I think its also forgotten how bad a taste Millennials got with Phantom Menace being the first Star Wars film they saw in theatres.

Even the Wizard of OZ had to have its Return to OZ flop moment.

Tigger1988

I'm not. I'm just stating hype, tweets, positive responses on the internet (especially reddit who have perputually wrong in how well certain films will do) and youtube views doesn't equate ticket sales later on or how large a fanbase is. WDW1974 stated people didn't clap or even react to the trailer in theatres, you stated it was well received based on what you read online. I'm providing a counter Star Wars is popular no doubt but people have continually put unrealistic expectations towards Disney products lately just for them to not perform as well as hoped. Almost every single Disney product has underperformed estimates with the exception of Inside Out.

I think that will cross over to Star Wars and thoughts and expectations should be tempered. Literally have seen people say it will break $1 billion opening weekend and these people are serious. I think its also forgotten how bad a taste Millennials got with Phantom Menace being the first Star Wars film they saw in theatres.

Even the Wizard of OZ had to have its Return to OZ flop moment.
No one clapping over two months after the trailer was released isn't really a big "gotcha!!" moment here. Anyone who thinks Star Wars isn't going to have a massive opening is kidding themselves.

And Return to Oz isn't really a proper comparison, it was made without the involvement of MGM. It's not a true "sequel" in that sense.

BernardandBianca

This bush was not "every bush on property." We are not talking about a retention pond in the woods off of Bear Creek Rd.

Put your mother, daughter or sister in the scenario...would you be satisfied with your logic?

I am not trying to pick a fight or a debate but would you be satisfied with what you said if it were your family member?

According to the OS, the woman was found in the shrubbery behind the House of Blues. Not exactly in the middle of nowhere.

Bairstow

This bush was not "every bush on property." We are not talking about a retention pond in the woods off of Bear Creek Rd.

Put your mother, daughter or sister in the scenario...would you be satisfied with your logic?

I am not trying to pick a fight or a debate but would you be satisfied with what you said if it were your family member?

People who are emotionally connected to a situation don't have a better say in making policy than those are who are not.
If anything, people with close relations to victims are the last people that should be making policy.

Funmeister

People who are emotionally connected to a situation don't have a better say in making policy than those are who are not.
If anything, people with close relations to victims are the last people that should be making policy.

Ok, how would you feel about the policy makers if your mother, daughter or sister were the victim in this scenario?

I also seem to remember something about Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency or was it the other way around?

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Every bush, then?
On property, or within a certain distance of a sidewalk, or what?

Every place a guest has access to and cast has acess to should be seached/have servaliance. With house of Blues they have no excuse it has sidewalks around it on all 4 sides!!! Guest access everywhere! The fact is if you can access it, it should be checked. If they failed to see a woman laying there then they can miss a bomb placed their, then could miss a firearm placed their, they could miss 20 lbs of coke placed their! Heck it could be a child hiding in the bushes for funzies it dosent matter what the point is that these areas are supposed to be secure and check for suspicious activity and they were not. The system failed, even if it was just one lazy patrol person they failed, and the policy need to be reviewed and ajusted.

Bairstow

Every place a guest has access to and cast has acess to should be seached/have servaliance. With house of Blues they have no excuse it has sidewalks around it on all 4 sides!!! Guest access everywhere! The fact is if you can access it, it should be checked. If they failed to see a woman laying there then they can miss a bomb placed their, then could miss a firearm placed their, they could miss 20 lbs of coke placed their! Heck it could be a child hiding in the bushes for funzies it dosent matter what the point is that these areas are supposed to be secure and check for suspicious activity and they were not. The system failed, even if it was just one lazy patrol person they failed, and the policy need to be reviewed and ajusted.

There was no report of a missing person, stashed drugs, loose firearm, or any other reason for security to be responsible for shining a flashlight under every bush, pipe, and palm frond.

It's ridiculous to have expected otherwise.
This is an outdoor shopping and entertainment district we're talking about here, not a maximum security prison or nuclear weapons facility.
If people went out of their way to find secluded places to do bad things it doesn't necessarily mean that security was being unreasonably lax.

Funmeister

There was no report of a missing person, stashed drugs, loose firearm, or any other reason for security to be responsible for shining a flashlight under every bush, pipe, and palm frond.

It's ridiculous to have expected otherwise.
This is an outdoor shopping and entertainment district we're talking about here, not a maximum security prison or nuclear weapons facility.
If people went out of their way to find secluded places to do bad things it doesn't necessarily mean that security was being unreasonably lax.

Name one instance of a missing person who was not missing before they were reported missing.

So because there was no report means she wasn't missing?

So if they are not supposed to be monitoring the area (which includes doing whatever it takes to make sure the area is safe) then what is it exactly are they supposed to be doing?

Stevek

I think that a lot of folks will go into SW: TFA with a bit of apprehension because many felt that at least 2 of the 3 prequels weren't that good. The hype & expectation that was attached to TPM was like no other movie ever and it was highly unlikely it would ever live up to that...yet is still did great at the box office, as did the next 2 regardless of how good or bad they were.

Had this movie been made by George, I would be a bit more apprehensive (even though I enjoyed the prequels for the most part). Now, I'm more curious to see what new blood will bring to the universe and my gut tells me there are a lot of folks out there like me. Am I bold enough to think that the movie will make $1B on the first weekend...no way. But, if the reviews and word of mouth are good, it's very possible it will break many records during it's run and bring those with a bad taste back into the fold.

Last edited:

Stevek

And there's plenty of Millennial Star Wars fans that are just fine with the Prequels and their associated era. The older angrier Star Wars generation is much louder though.
Many Millennial SW fans claim the prequels as "their" Star Wars and love it (along with the Clone Wars and Rebels) as much as I did with OT...and I also love CW and Rebels. I'm one of those older fans but I'm not nearly as hard on George as some of the more hardcore "live & breathe SW 24/7" fans out there. I actually enjoyed all 3 movies when I saw them in theaters and have watched them multiple times since. Are they flawless, no way, but I personally don't feel the hatred toward them that some folks do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom