A Spirited Perfect Ten

RSoxNo1

It sounds like the Marvel fanboi doth protests too much. You must by definition be a fanboi of the MCU if you only care about a film as it fits into the entire world of Marvel. I like taking my movies one at a time and viewing them based on their own merits. I'm not committing to 123 films no matter how much Kevin, Bob and Co want me to. After the last Captain American, I won't see the next if I have to actually pay for it.

I'm not looking to wrap myself up with a decade-long (or longer) commitment to film viewing. I suspect most people feel the same way.

That's just the thing, Pixar has achieved cinematic greatness often largely because it doesn't tie its films together or to a formula beyond great storytelling. Sure, you have a franchise with Toy Story and a few sequels. But Up is no Toy Story is no Ratatouille is no Wall*E is no Inside Out etc.
There's a place for a series of interconnected stories and Marvel does a solid job rolling them all together. For me, Marvel and Pixar properties are the best bet for entertaining movies each year. Sure other studios may put out a better product at any given time, but those two studios have done it consistently.

The thing with Pixar though is that after Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur we're seeing A LOT of sequels. It's a shame because the brand is so strong that it doesn't need to follow the sequel trend that exists everywhere else in Hollywood.

RSoxNo1

That guy clearly thinks 2 much. IT'S JUST A THEME PARK PEEPLE! He needs to learn to have fun and not try to be a h8r on vacation!
Can't tell if sarcasm or not, but I'm going to go with no. If I'm wrong, oh well...

It is absolutely Joe Rohde's job to "think too much" about this sort of thing. When you concern yourself with stuff like this it deliberately goes unnoticed by guests. More importantly though it is unnoticed because things "seem right". People appreciate things and they don't even know why.

I look at the Yeti as a very easy to explain example of this. Expedition Everest with a broken yeti is still a very good attraction. People go on it for the first time, they enjoy it and may feel they are 95% satisfied. Take that same person who rides the ride for the first time with a functional yeti. They get off the ride and are 100% satisfied. The 95% person isn't upset the yeti doesn't work because they don't know that's an option. They just know that they're 95% satisfied.

This is why putting attractions in areas where they don't belong is a problem. It's a thematic break, it disrupts the natural order of the parks. The rock that Rohde posted is an example of that. If you needed air conditioning vents they needed to find a way to place them where they didn't disrupt the look of the rock. They failed at the goal.

GiveMeTheMusic

Can't tell if sarcasm or not, but I'm going to go with no. If I'm wrong, oh well...

It is absolutely Joe Rohde's job to "think too much" about this sort of thing. When you concern yourself with stuff like this it deliberately goes unnoticed by guests. More importantly though it is unnoticed because things "seem right". People appreciate things and they don't even know why.

I look at the Yeti as a very easy to explain example of this. Expedition Everest with a broken yeti is still a very good attraction. People go on it for the first time, they enjoy it and may feel they are 95% satisfied. Take that same person who rides the ride for the first time with a functional yeti. They get off the ride and are 100% satisfied. The 95% person isn't upset the yeti doesn't work because they don't know that's an option. They just know that they're 95% satisfied.

This is why putting attractions in areas where they don't belong is a problem. It's a thematic break, it disrupts the natural order of the parks. The rock that Rohde posted is an example of that. If you needed air conditioning vents they needed to find a way to place them where they didn't disrupt the look of the rock. They failed at the goal.

It was sarcasm.

PhotoDave219

The Phantom Menace is also standalone - if you don't know any others exist, and watch it as the only film in the series, it's a self-contained story about a couple of Jedi who help defeat an army and bring peace to the galaxy.

If you have seen the other films, however, it's the story of a couple of Jedi who help create an army and bring war to the galaxy.

Well it's a standalone film in the sense that it stands alone over there on the shelf collecting a lot of dust…

Cody5294

Smiddimizer

Joe Rohde's Instagram observations put recycled EPCOT Center construction photos, gushing over the orange bird, and social media cupcake parties in their place.
https://instagram.com/p/5fmJMjwRAs/
https://instagram.com/p/5ftgTLQRPf/

But+it%27s+a+rock+A+Bug%27s+Life.gif

the.dreamfinder

Very happy to see this. I hope it also gets a best picture nomination. I wouldn't even be upset if it even won. It's about time that an animated movie won best picture
I'm also hoping "Mad Max:Fury Road" gets some big nominations as well. The Academy Awards shouldn't be about how many films Harvey Weinstein can make for 65+ YO white guys.

Last edited:

Nubs70

47. 2 Night of Joy, the rest MNSSHP & MVMCP.
Did not Iger or Staggs state that FP+ allowed for roughly 3000 New guests per day due to increased efficiencies?

If there are 47 hard ticket events.
Average event attendance is 23,000
Total = 1,081,000
Divide Total by 365 to distribute hard ticket attendance over the year
This adds 2961 to normal attendance every day of the year.

Is it possible MM+ has done nothing for attendance?
Are hard ticket events being used to justify MM+?

PhotoDave219

Did not Iger or Staggs state that FP+ allowed for roughly 3000 New guests per day due to increased efficiencies?

If there are 47 hard ticket events.
Average event attendance is 23,000
Total = 1,081,000
Divide Total by 365 to distribute hard ticket attendance over the year
This adds 2961 to normal attendance every day of the year.

Is it possible MM+ has done nothing for attendance?
Are hard ticket events being used to justify MM+?

Unlikely since we've had HTEs for quite some time.

But its the easiest explainer for why MK outdraws Tokyo.

PhotoDave219

Very happy to see this. I hope it also gets a best picture nomination. I wouldn't even be upset if it even won. It's about time that an animated movie won best picture

My friend, the hollywood establishment would NEVER let that happen. Beauty and the Beast came too close to Hollywood Armageddon, thus the creation of "Best Animated Film"

If "The Hurt Locker" can beat "Up" than a Best Picture Nod is all that can be hoped for.

Cesar R M

Comcast's quarterly results came out today.
Domestic parks and resorts cash flow was up 44.9% in the second quarter and theme park revenue increased 25.7%.

Comcast's CFO noted they will be significantly investing in the parks and see them as a growth business for AT LEAST the next twenty years.
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=650
Full results here:
http://www.cmcsa.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=923465
holy carp.. they're going to fire all cylinders.

Thanks god Disney did learn and is investing as well.

BrerJon

Unlikely since we've had HTEs for quite some time.

But its the easiest explainer for why MK outdraws Tokyo.

I've been to Tokyo enough times to agree with '74, there's no way Magic Kingdom can be anywhere close to the same level without some serious cooking of the books. TEA gives MK a 12% higher attendance, whereas reality is probably TDL has 25% higher than MK.

Hard ticket events are probably a key factor, but on a non hard ticket day my theory is the different touring styles skew the figures. Compare the two parks with a hypothetical sample of 1000 guests:

In Tokyo almost everyone diligently gets there for park opening, stays for about 12-14 hours then leaves. That's 1000 attendance clicks for the day, with 1000 always in the park from opening onwards. Few park hop (you can't do so for the first two days), there's no off-duty CMs as you don't get a maingate, so once you're in, you're in.

In MK, however, some arrive early (250 clicks, 250 in the park), the rest arriving gradually over the course of the day (500 clicks, 750 in the park). Then in the afternoon maybe 250 leave to go back to the hotel for a nap, then come back in the evening (500 in the park until the evening, then 750 again), then you have people coming from other parks (200 clicks, taking crowds to 950) and with off-duty CMs probably contributing a few more for good measure.

That would give MK 1200 gate clicks as opposed to Tokyo's 1000, yet over the course of the day those hypothetical figures show MK only ever being 50-75% as crowded, despite more clicks. Yeah, that seems the most likely explanation to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom