A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Demographics and guest behavior would both be plausible explanations.
If every man, woman, and child that came into the Magic Kingdom was determined to spend 90% of the their day either on a ride or in a queue, and was old enough to persist in doing this for most of the operating day, wait times would be significantly different.

People who visit the MK and TDL both do so largely for one reason: to experience the attractions and the entertainment. The demos aren't all that different when it comes to why people visit. So, therefore, I don't see it significantly effecting numbers.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Please tell me you aren't trying to insinuate that Kevin Feige got his start via an inappropriate relationship with Singer. That is ridiculous.

The number one reason that Kevin got a shot is because Avi lost the trust of Ike and the other Marvel leaders.

Where did you get that idea? I wasn't aware we were discussing Bryan Singer and his sexual tastes (even a younger Kevin Feige wouldn't have been someone Bryan lusted after).

What I was stating was what you should realize with no help from me. That is there's the public/PR tale that successful people use to recreate their pasts and there's the real story. Often, they aren't even close. That's all I was saying ... please don't write Bryan Singer three times or my pal Jake will appear and accuse me of all sorts of non-crimes! Thanks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Apologies that I'm just now seeing and responding to this.

No apologies needed.

That's frustrating. I really hope Weis doesn't get any flak if Shanghai doesn't go over well (like Tony after Disneyland Paris), but you know how people like to point fingers. I could write volumes about the problems going on in Shanghai, but most of them stem from the first time somebody said "Hey let's build a $4 billion theme park in Shanghai and hire Chinese workers to build it."

Well, it's supposed to be a $5.5 billion theme park resort (I think that includes the $800 million in play money, though). It just appears there's a concerted effort to smear Bob and place him in a fall-guy role inside the company. Of course, that seems rather dumb considering he has just been given control of HKDL where a second gate is being fast-tracked.

In this case, I'm actually glad to hear this happening. (Not the Club 33 part, but that it won't be at MK). MK isn't huge, and needs every square foot it can get as places average guests can occupy. I would hate to see, for instance, space carved out of the upcoming Adventureland restaurant or elsewhere in MK when those spaces could be used to hold average guests, and especially when the park is practically bursting at the seams.

Compare that to Epcot or even DHS, which both have plenty of dead space everywhere. Epcot has plenty of underutilized space, including lounges which haven't accommodated ride sponsors in years (Land and Imagination lounges both just holding a few managers' desks, for instance). Even DHS has some odd spots, like the upstairs of Brown Derby, which are hardly used to their full potential anymore.

I don't know what is happening beyond the Club is coming. I just don't see where they would put it at MK right now. I can see lots of options elsewhere in theme parks. It's a large galaxy after all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ok...I'll take the tag of fanboy of the MCU.
I'm a fan of its long-form storytelling. It really has nothing to do with it being Marvel as I've never bought a comic book in my life and have no interest in these stories or characters outside the film series.

It relates to my love of TV series that tell large, complex stories over a number of years. (Lost, Game of Thrones, X-Files, Sopranos, etc. I'd pay good money right now if the season finale of True Detective had McConaughey showing up in LA, on the trail of...)

I am shocked that you have never bought a comic book. I'm going to question DD at length on that subject!

As to your reasoning, I love long form storytelling. I have an attention span that can carry over week to week so I don't need a CSI or an NCIS or Law and Order. That said, what you are talking about is television. And TV and film are quite different mediums. I am willing to make a commitment to watching TV that can last months, years or, even decades (as I am reminded this week while watching Tony Geary's final week as a regular on General Hospital, something I started watching when Jimmy Carter was in the White House).

When I visit the cinema, I'm looking for 2-3 hours of entertainment. I'm not looking for films that are merely set-ups for future films. Sorry, but that kind of manipulative BS doesn't fly well with me. When I went to see Ant-Man that was what interested me. His story. Not how he'd fit in with Cap America in two films and with the Avengers six films down the road, after he co-stars in a GotG 4.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
If Disney doesn't release attendance figures for WDW then how are they "manipulating" anything. If TEA has the numbers wrong that's on them. I doubt there is any conspiracy to inflate numbers. The vast majority of people who visit WDW probably don't even know Disney had a park in Japan. It wouldn't hurt business much if TDL had higher attendance than MK. It only matters in the fanboy community.

No, it matters beyond that. Believe me ... or don't.

Just like SDL will be the most visited theme park in the world next year ... even if it isn't.

BTW, y'all know that we have a glut of oil. Never have we had more. Barely have places to store or sell it. That doesn't even count Iran being welcomed back. And yet gas is about $2.69-2.89 for regular here when it should be below $1.50. That's today's Spirited 'No, Nothing is Fixed' public service announcement.

WDW1974

Original Poster

I like the last three graphs of Soup & Salad Sandra's piece because a lot of those words could be said about DIS as well:

"The heavily lifting in that division is now being done by the theme parks and the (movie) studios," he said.

The stock price could also reflect concerns about the trends toward cord-cutting – transitioning away from cable in favor of options such as streaming.

Also, Amobi said, "I think it's maybe a question of the valuation at this point. A lot of the good news has been priced into the stock."

Steel City Magic

Sorry, catching up...
It sounds like the Marvel fanboi doth protests too much. You must by definition be a fanboi of the MCU if you only care about a film as it fits into the entire world of Marvel. I like taking my movies one at a time and viewing them based on their own merits. I'm not committing to 123 films no matter how much Kevin, Bob and Co want me to. After the last Captain American, I won't see the next if I have to actually pay for it.
This is what I worry about for the Star Wars movies. The original trilogy were great stand alone films but worked well with the overall picture, the second trilogy wasn't as good in that aspect. they ran into each other more but still worked for the most part as stand alone movies (better than the marvel phases at least). I hope that this new trilogy work well as stand alone movies that build off of each other and add to the overall story, but are great movies by themselves. I'm really worried, given the formula with marvel, that episode VIII will end in the dreaded 'to be continued in Star Wars Episode IV: Give us Your Money'

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry, catching up...

This is what I worry about for the Star Wars movies. The original trilogy were great stand alone films but worked well with the overall picture, the second trilogy wasn't as good in that aspect. they ran into each other more but still worked for the most part as stand alone movies (better than the marvel phases at least). I hope that this new trilogy work well as stand alone movies that build off of each other and add to the overall story, but are great movies by themselves. I'm really worried, given the formula with marvel, that episode VIII will end in the dreaded 'to be continued in Star Wars Episode IV: Give us Your Money'

I dunno.

I will say they played the new 'Chewie, we're home' trailer as the last one before my nearly sold out Ant Man experience Tuesday and ... there was no buzz, no applause, no nothing. ... Now, I'm sure people are going to point out that it's been out a while, but that certainly doesn't mean most people have seen it or seen it on the big screen.

Steel City Magic

I dunno.

I will say they played the new 'Chewie, we're home' trailer as the last one before my nearly sold out Ant Man experience Tuesday and ... there was no buzz, no applause, no nothing. ... Now, I'm sure people are going to point out that it's been out a while, but that certainly doesn't mean most people have seen it or seen it on the big screen.
I saw ant-man last night for my birthday after a bowling excursion and saw some historical/oddball sights in my new home of Miami, and though I was slightly inebriated, I too noticed not a single gasp or applause, except for myself who stood and cheered... ok I was more than a little inebriated, but hey I came back to my senses in time to witness the post credit scenes so I caught the important parts right?
EDIT: PS, the splitsville here in Miami may be my new home. Gives me a warm, fuzzy, tingly feeling all over... ok I may be celebrating my birthday all week...:hungover:

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

I dunno.

I still do not understand why Disney didn't hold the trailer until "Age of Ultron". So much for these master synergizers.

Animaniac93-98

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom