A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDWLover#1

Most likely the budget is:
DHS redo (groundbreaking/construction)- $2.25 billion
DHS parking garages/reworked infrastructure/demolition for redo- $750 million
Epcot - $500 million
MK - $500 million

$4 billion for WDW over a 7-10 yr period. Not including Frozenstrom, Soarin' update/3rd theater, TSMM 3rd track, the flex theater, Disney Springs, Pandora, RoL, or the nighttime safari.

I could be way off, but multiple insiders hinting 'at least $3 B' makes me think $3.5-4 billion for the entire resort, $3 billion of $4 billion is still 75% of a gigantic budget. And Epcot/MK do need a little love once AK is done around 2017/2018.
I think over the last 3-5 years at least $4 billion has been put into the whole resort itself. Interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years.

PhotoDave219

Epcot - $500 million
MK - $500 million

$4 billion for WDW over a 7-10 yr period. Not including Frozenstrom, Soarin' update/3rd theater, TSMM 3rd track, the flex theater, Disney Springs, Pandora, RoL, or the nighttime safari.

I could be way off, but multiple insiders hinting 'at least $3 B' makes me think $3.5-4 billion for the entire resort, $3 billion of $4 billion is still 75% of a gigantic budget. And Epcot/MK do need a little love once AK is done around 2017/2018.

You're high on the MK/EP projections.

ParentsOf4

If you torture numbers enough, then they will say anything!
You must be confusing me with someone else. Only those with agendas or preconceived notions torture numbers. I can't recall having ever been accused of having an agenda, although I can think of a few on these threads who's been accused of exactly that. ;)

I never torture numbers. I study them and then draw my conclusions only after I've contemplated what they mean.

WDW is more crowded than ever. It will be worse 10 years from now. Adding two popular IPs to a theme park that already draws 10 million annually is not going to reduce crowds.

Seriously, you want to argue Disney's numbers with me? :p

:D

PhotoDave219

You must be confusing me with someone else. Only those with agendas or preconceived notions torture numbers. I can't recall having ever been accused of having an agenda, although I can think of a few on these threads who's been accused of exactly that. ;)

I never torture numbers. I study them and then draw my conclusions only after I've contemplated what they mean.

WDW is more crowded than ever. It will be worse 10 years from now. Adding two popular IPs to a theme park that already draws 10 million annually is not going to reduce crowds.

Exactly. While that may add 2-3M guests a year, all of those 2-3M guests will also visit the MK.

So far, 24% of the time the resort as a whole is pulling Peak Crowds. It's very busy right now.

kpilcher

Spirited July 4th Weekend Dumplings (because aren't we all really tired of burgers, dogs and tater salad?):
Seeing the capacity crowds that have descended upon UNI-Hollywood, which by most accounts opened a lousy addition to its iconic tram tour, one can only wonder what Potter will bring next year.

Speaking of Anaheim, am hearing chatter that the new WoC is being received so poorly that it might not even last the entire 60th.

I'm hearing F&F crowds took Uni Hollywood deeply by surprise. I hear there are some serious fears about preparing for the Potter peeps.
Also hearing the same about WOC. Though with enough egos involved it may last. Fortunately, that platform seems to be the easiest to change out that Disney has ever come up with.

kpilcher

I am sorta surprised Harambe Nights didn't return. It was well received. It seemed to the be the highest quality (I may have just answered my own question). Georgie K even liked it and was spotted there weekly, usually with good-looking CPers.

I thought it was a given to return. I guess cupcake parties are the foamheads of upcharge events. Cheap and the rubes love 'em.
It also brought nighttime life to that area, something the park really needs to get ready for. I missed my chance to attend due to work scheduling issues, and I regret it.

wdwfan4ver

Epcot - $500 million
MK - $500 million

I think your Epcot and Mk projections are off. I am assuming MK is going to get $300 million to 400 million dollar range and the same is true with Epcot.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Next question, will these 300-400 mil for MK.. include the new nighttime parade and spectacular for the 60th?

Will any of that money spill to hotels to fix issues (like burned popcorn on the grand floridian)..?

BrianLo

Next question, will these 300-400 mil for MK.. include the new nighttime parade and spectacular for the 60th?

I think you mean 50th, and I would be shocked if this had absolutely anything to do with 50th plans other than to have a new attraction (or a few major refurbs/overlays/entertainment projects) finished in the context that it is coming up in six years. The actual 50th budget and plans will only be hammered out a few years before (that's optimistic) and probably left to the 11th hour like Disneyland. The BOD likewise will have little to no involvement in the 50th approval.

Maybe somebody learned from how last minute Disneyland came together, but I kind of doubt it.

Omnispace

Certainly looking at historical attendance figures for places like Epcot is going to give a good indication of growth. What I would wonder about is what the theoretical designed capacity of the "underutilized" parks would be. Certainly Epcot is not operating at capacity, (nor DHS or DAK), since Epcot was never fully built-out -- (not to mention the attractions that have been closed, or are no longer a large draw). As I mentioned on these boards previously, it's been widely reported the expansion of California Adventure with Cars Land really helped to redistribute the crowds at DLR. It was adding something worthwhile to draw people away from Disneyland. One would think that using a similar strategy at WDW would help redistribute the crowds while adding the needed capacity and thus reduce crowding.

There's also the introduction of systems such as FastPass that artificially keep guests on the pathways instead of in queues as was originally intended, making the parks seem more crowded. I'll admit that queue design doesn't affect overall attendance numbers though it does greatly impact the perceived "crowdedness" of the parks -- especially with WDW that has added FP+ to more attractions to make their MM+ program more workable. It's definitely going to be a tradeoff standing in line instead of strolling freely about, though with the "crowding" one has to wonder if that tradeoff is really worthwhile.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A very Happy July 4th to all in this MAGICal realm.

I admit I'm surprised there are no breathless phased closing threads. Summer and July 4th falling on a weekend. Nothing yesterday. Nothing today. As near as I can tell, nothing at UNI as well.

I'm going to start wondering about it being crazy busy in O-Town all the time now (it really isn't .... just compared to say 1985 or 1995 it's busier) if we can't even get capacity parks on the July 4th weekend!

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, Inside Out won't open in Germany (home as you know to my beloved 'Angie' a high-level official) until October, but Minions has already opened. And since it was close to 100 there today (nope, no global warming at all!) she sought refuge in a theater. Said it was good, but not great. I guess I'll see it when it comes out since I have no real desire to see Terminator (Arnold and I have a bit of a history ... yes, really! ... Can't wait to see that in the Twitverse).

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can't help but think that numerous individuals in the fan community are taking my information, mixing in some from a few others here (like @marni1971 and @PhotoDave219 ) and putting forth all sorts of plans and speculation regarding what Disney will be spending on in its reBRANDing and redeveloping The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios. I suppose I/we should be flattered, but I just don't think it is ethical to take information from others and not credit where it came from.

BTW, speaking of unethical, can we do me one teensy-weensy favor? Let's keep Jim Hill mentions out of my threads. I have no use for him or the way he conducts himself and I don't want him getting any added credibility here. Feel free to start ''What Jim said'' threads if that floats your boat.

PhotoDave219

I can't help but think that numerous individuals in the fan community are taking my information, mixing in some from a few others here (like @marni1971 and @PhotoDave219 ) and putting forth all sorts of plans and speculation regarding what Disney will be spending on in its reBRANDing and redeveloping The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios. I suppose I/we should be flattered, but I just don't think it is ethical to take information from others and not credit where it came from.

BTW, speaking of unethical, can we do me one teensy-weensy favor? Let's keep Jim Hill mentions out of my threads. I have no use for him or the way he conducts himself and I don't want him getting any added credibility here. Feel free to start ''What Jim said'' threads if that floats your boat.

I have no idea where they're coming up with 3/4ths of this....

WDW1974

Original Poster
If you factor in the dynamic pricing a percent of the population out and a recession/downturn of some type in the next five years, the graph will need to go farther out

The issue on growth is based on one assumption (and that is all it is) and that is that central Florida tourism will simply continue to grow annually and at a decent clip and that ALL of those bodies will want to visit WDW and all its parks.

If you base things on that, then it is very easy to jump to 'we need a fifth gate yesterday' mindset.

But if you say that it's possible that growth won't continue and, indeed, may slow down and head in the other direction ... or that it will increase but visitors may well head to UNI or SW or all the great new stuff on I-Drive or simply do a few days at Disney, then the argument becomes fundamentally flawed.

Again, it also doesn't take into account that WDW today has three parks that are very under capacity. It also doesn't take into account things from Legoland's opening to UNI adding Volcano Bay to eventually adding its own third gate while Americans are not going to be Europeans. They aren't going from the 'lucky to be able to get two weeks off a year and the bosses gives me a dirty look when I say I want to take them off at the same time' USA model to the 4-8 weeks a year that are common in Europe.

Disney needs to spread its crowds out. Disney needs to build and rebuild infrastructure. Then ... it needs to think long and hard about what the future of the Swamp Kingdom Resort really should be.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just read that Disney Hollywood Adventure has a 3 billion dollar budget. All to be announced at D23, and includes Pixar, Indy, and Star Wars. Not sure of the source, but came from a Facebook buddy. I'lll try to get a link.
thisisinfamous.com written by Billy Donnelly

That is what I was talking about.

It reads like 90% came from this site mixed in with 10% speculation/wishful thinking.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Maybe they will just make the Studios 365 days of "bronze" level pricing? LOL

The problem is that right now, the Studios are a $50-65 value in any real world terms (and that's adding value this summer with the Frozen offerings). And we all know Disney NEVER lowers theme park prices ... sorta like people spending $600 a night at the Poly while it has been a construction site when other operators would have either shuttered it or been offering $99 rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom