A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster

Ah, young Dreamfinder, someone on top of the news. This may not be big news here, but it is sending ripples thru many top corporations today. And, yes, that would certainly include Disney. .... because some of the same mistakes made mere miles off the Florida coast are being repeated on a smoggy, dusty site in the Pudong (lots of words) Tourism zone.

The above is a VERY ugly situation. And it just keeps getting worse. But Darth Iger has nothing to worry about, I'm sure ...;)

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Pretty sad that both Disney park locations in the US are so far removed from any sort of functional public transportation. We've done car-free trips to Disneyland easily (affordable hotels are within walking distance), but it's a shame that locals have to drive. It's ridiculous that there isn't a reliable train between LA and Disneyland, considering that it's Disneyland! Just another way in which the overseas parks whip the American parks.

That's an American problem. I can think of maybe five cities in the nation where you don't really have to own a car (if you work or go to school or want to venture beyond a mile or two of home). And California is an ode to our car culture.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think this is the key message. The studios work together all of the time, just because the fan community makes everything into a competition, doesn't mean that Universal and Disney folks are at each others throats.

Because fans just don't fundamentally understand the business, though the defenders of (blank) -- at both Disney and UNI -- will trot out the ''it's a business'' line almost like a trained raptor.

The business is so incestuous. Sure, they all want to come out on top. But, moreso, they all just want to bathe in money. They have no issues with the 'competition' doing so as well. Right now, it would appear the Disney/UNI relationship has never been better. And, no, I am not kidding.

Goofyernmost

This would only be an issue if Disney still gave a damn about show.
Why didn't they care about the show when they were first put up and left for years on end? Did they care back then or didn't they? It seems like a very strong contradiction to me. Or perhaps when did they start caring and then stop again?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Don't tell me I'm the first to report this! From today's Orlando Sentinel:

"Oh, poo. Visitors to Disney's Animal Kingdom can no longer buy desserts that look like manure, said a Disney World spokeswoman.
The "Match the Species" treats -- designed to look like the droppings of giraffes, elephants, rhinos and cotton top tamarins -- will not be restocked at Zuri's Sweets Shop, which opened in the Harambe Market section of the park two weeks ago.

"As with any new merchandise location, we test various offerings and make adjustments," a Disney World spokewoman said Monday. "We have currently run out of several items and do not have plans to offer them in the future.

That just means that social media ripped the products (and, no, I don't think it was as bad an idea as some) and, as I've said before, SHAME works on Disney.

The issue is the fan community can never get its (other word for feces) together and hit Disney over something of substance be it show quality, value,, treatment of CMs, pricing policies etc.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
This also happened today (which I will readily admit is probably somewhat more important than whether chocolate feces is sold at a Disney park or not)-
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ch...officer-of-the-walt-disney-company-2015-06-30

As I said in the other main thread, the new CFO sounds like she's very much of the corporate bean counter variety. Which again makes me very uncomfortable. Either way, clearly more musical chairs being played by existing executives.

Ah, this is what has the fanbois all a Twitter? Really?

Who cares? What did anyone expect? That the CFO would be a creative or someone who could appreciate them?
Christine has a long history with the company and she has a vagina to boot, which makes the hire look better to the outside world.

Her history (and Kevin's) really doesn't matter. It is Disney replacing Strat Planners with other Strat Planners. You don't like it? Take it up with The Weatherman (sorry, that his nickname ... not using the dumb Darth Iger one!)

Anyway, I hear Ted 2 is Oscar-worthy, so I need to head to the cineplex. Should I pay for the Imax or just the 3D?

Rodan75

For those who dont know what the Strategic Planning Group is at Disney, .... There's some required reading.

Please google that along with the name Peter Murphy. Then read the book "Disneywar." Then you'll realize that it was the root of all evil in this company.

The company getting the same cast of characters back together, this time in even more powerful positions? This cant end well....

Sounds like these folks have always been there, they are just moving this function back out from under Rasulo. It isn't as if they are starting from scratch again with folks who haven't spent any time at the company.

PhotoDave219

Sounds like these folks have always been there, they are just moving this function back out from under Rasulo. It isn't as if they are starting from scratch again with folks who haven't spent any time at the company.

True but we're talking about the same people who practically ruined The company in the late 90s and early 2000s. The same names over and over again… It's genuine cause for concern.

Funmeister

Who cares? What did anyone expect? That the CFO would be a creative or someone who could appreciate them?
Christine has a long history with the company and she has a vagina to boot, which makes the hire look better to the outside world.

Her history (and Kevin's) really doesn't matter. It is Disney replacing Strat Planners with other Strat Planners. You don't like it? Take it up with The Weatherman (sorry, that his nickname ... not using the dumb Darth Iger one!)

Anyway, I hear Ted 2 is Oscar-worthy, so I need to head to the cineplex. Should I pay for the Imax or just the 3D?

Go IMAX. NEVER go IMAX 3-D! (What is the purpose...IMAX destroys the 3-D aspect)

Goofyernmost

I have NO issues with that at all. The towel animals means as much as someone telling me ''Welcome Home'' or worse ''Have a MAGICal Day/Night.'' ... hell, I remember someone on this site complaining about their first trip to DL because people simply asked them how they were (like in the real world) and told them to have a good afternoon (like in the real world) and they were used to the horrific attempt at sincerity that passes for world class Guest Service in the swamps.

A Mousekeeper's job isn't to pose plush and make a towel gator holding the TV remote. It's to sanitize the remote, vacuum under the bed, polish on top of the furniture, clean the weird sticky substance off the table, make sure there isn't previous guests' hair in the shower or sink etc. Too often they miss the basics while doing something stupid. No need for towel animals. They became a cliche sometime around 2003 anyway.
I'm sorry, help me understand why that isn't one of the "details" that made Disney so special. You are alright with it going away because instead of demanding that mousekeeping do their job while maintaining the "magic" you are willing to give one up to get the other? Why? That seems to be, to me anyway, an area that Disney can completely control. No mechanical issues, no old equipment to break down, just supervised labor being told to do their job, which included, amongst other things, making towel animals. This is something that directly impacts the "Guests" to a degree much more significant then a few trees removed or an occasional paint chip or a trash can that needs emptying. Why isn't this important to be concerned about especially when it would be so easy to have both.

PhotoDave219

Well… I care…

Funmeister

I'm sorry, help me understand why that isn't one of the "details" that made Disney so special. You are alright with it going away because instead of demanding that mousekeeping do their job while maintaining the "magic" you are willing to give one up to get the other? Why? That seems to be, to me anyway, an area that Disney can completely control. No mechanical issues, no old equipment to break down, just supervised labor being told to do their job, which included, amongst other things, making towel animals. This is something that directly impacts the "Guests" to a degree much more significant then a few trees removed or an occasional paint chip or a trash can that needs emptying. Why isn't this important to be concerned about especially when it would be so easy to have both.

Old Quality Disney Guest Service > towel animals

OneDNP

Because fans just don't fundamentally understand the business, though the defenders of (blank) -- at both Disney and UNI -- will trot out the ''it's a business'' line almost like a trained raptor.

The business is so incestuous. Sure, they all want to come out on top. But, moreso, they all just want to bathe in money. They have no issues with the 'competition' doing so as well. Right now, it would appear the Disney/UNI relationship has never been better. And, no, I am not kidding.

Andrew Carver is at the Paradiso this year. He might be at the Riviera next year, or the Stardust the year after that. He's part of the team, so are you.

Apologies, but all this talk of co-mingling made me go there

burgess

That's an American problem. I can think of maybe five cities in the nation where you don't really have to own a car (if you work or go to school or want to venture beyond a mile or two of home). And California is an ode to our car culture.

True, I've lived in Boston without a car for over a decade, and I'm lucky to be able to do that. But I still think it's a knock against the American parks, as it is a factor when choosing whether we want to fly to the swamps, rent a car, and drive around beautiful central Florida, or fly to Tokyo, use their amazing subway system, and see the sights of Japan.

As far as car culture goes, I think it's more of a matter of "well, we designed your environment so you need a car to exist. I guess you have a car culture now" than a real love of cars. But then I'm an anti-car, tree hugging wacko.

Rodan75

True but we're talking about the same people who practically ruined The company in the late 90s and early 2000s. The same names over and over again… It's genuine cause for concern.

Understood. But they would also have to be involved with the big budget that was apparently just approved and were likely elevated because of their recent contributions and not their performance 10 years ago.

I get the hesitation. But everything good and bad within the last year or so would have had to be supported and likely championed by the folks promoted, otherwise their influence wouldn't have supported the promotions. The only dependable thing about corporations is that you only get rewarded on what you just did and loyalty only lasts as long as your last good idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom