A Spirited Perfect Ten

GiveMeTheMusic

Just when I'm out, they keep pulling me back in...

AK is selling brownies shaped like animal dung.

Let that sink in.

Brownies marketed as animal dung. TWDC is LITERALLY telling its guests to eat [excrement].

For once in my life, I'm reduced to the Millenial cry, "I can't even right now."

octavia-spencer.jpg

Mike S

I definitely agree with that.
But also Going to Disney is so ingrained in the American culture. People will always keep going back and just justify the cost to themselves with little or no thought of cultural consequences. We all want to bring our kids and grandkids.
Do we though? If things continue down the current path (lower quality, higher prices, snail pace expansion, larger crowds with not enough capacity to put them, etc.) would I want to bring my kids?

spacemt354

Chili's
Do we though? If things continue down the current path (lower quality, higher prices, snail pace expansion, larger crowds with not enough capacity to put them, etc.) would I want to bring my kids?
It may morph into taking your kids to Orlando itself, rather than just WDW.

I still think Disney will be a destination, and I'd still take my kids there. But I'd also want to take them to Uni as well. Kennedy Space Center only 60 miles away, Sea World, etc.

SYRIK2000

Exactly my point, you would think no. But apparently we haven't found the tipping point yet.

SYRIK2000

I'll have to double-check. @wdwmagic, you posted the hard ticket sell outs on the news page?

Anyways, 2014 showed only 2 more Hard Ticket Events than 2013, with one extra MNSSHP & MVMCP than 2013. Total of 47 dates at the MK or 13% of the entire year.

2014 Breakdowns?
  • Night of Joy? 2.
  • MNSSHP? 25.
  • MVMCP? 20.
So lets look at attendance on those days.....

In 2013, Those 45 days drew an off-peak crowd (3 or below) 33 times, or 73% of the time. The other 12 were merely average.
MNSSHP days (September/October) were split 16/8 while MVMCP (November/December) were split 15/4.

In 2014, Those 47 days drew an off-peak crowd (3 or below) 31 times, or 66% of the time. The other 16 were merely average.
MNSSHP days (September/October) were split 15/10 while MVMCP (November/December) were split 14/6.

SO about 2/3rds of the time, a Hard Ticket Event is a slow day before the party.

Attendance-wise, I would say some is seasonal, some is the event itself. The practice is still a money grab and not a great practice. What would Walt have done? The party would have been a thank you for the guests who already paid for the day the first time.

misterID

It is a very odd scenario they certainly could not have foreseen.

Technically shouldn't matter too much if it performs similarly to their other films. Being number one is just a title after all if both movies are doing relatively gangbusters.

I think they'll still spin a nice profit, have some pretty solid merchandising opportunities and are a shoe in for the Oscar. Being one of the best reviewed animated films of all time can certainly dry their tears.

It is just a title, but a title they really, really want. And I'm positive "Inside Out" will be marketed as the #1 animated film in the world. They care and so does the press. It won't take much to be labeled a disappointment, even if that's not quite true, but if JW has ridiculous numbers again compared with a solid opening for IO, the optics won't look good. Especially when they were all pegging IO to clean up the box office and leave everyone else in ashes.

PhotoDave219

Attendance-wise, I would say some is seasonal, some is the event itself. The practice is still a money grab and not a great practice. What would Walt have done? The party would have been a thank you for the guests who already paid for the day the first time.

You can attribute it to whatever you want. You commented on the types of crowds drawn, I gave you the data.

And what would have Walt done? I'd like to think that Walt and Lilian would have walked around handing out candy during the Halloween parties and cookies during the Christmas parties.

Andrew_Ryan

It is just a title, but a title they really, really want. And I'm positive "Inside Out" will be marketed as the #1 animated film in the world. They care and so does the press. It won't take much to be labeled a disappointment, even if that's not quite true, but if JW has ridiculous numbers again compared with a solid opening for IO, the optics won't look good. Especially when they were all pegging IO to clean up the box office and leave everyone else in ashes.

Frozen was #2 it's opening weekend. Ya gotta have faith!

You would hope word of mouth would help significantly. It's still at 99% on RT.

Cesar R M

It is a very odd scenario they certainly could not have foreseen.

Technically shouldn't matter too much if it performs similarly to their other films. Being number one is just a title after all if both movies are doing relatively gangbusters.

I think they'll still spin a nice profit, have some pretty solid merchandising opportunities and are a shoe in for the Oscar. Being one of the best reviewed animated films of all time can certainly dry their tears.
Man, you guys and your positive views of Inside out... I will definitively see both Jurassic World and Inside out in this or next weekend!.

Prog

It seems that the average gen X-er views Disney as an expensive obligation for their kids if they can afford it once in their life. Jim Gaffigan does a routine that sums up the attitude quite well.
For more misleading criticisms of WDW by the ignorant, see The Simpsons in which they go to EFCOT (Special Edna) and lampoon EPCOT Center, as it was at its peak, or when they go to Diz-Nee-Land (The Man Who Came to be Dinner) and lampoon the atmosphere of a castle park.

Anyways, it's still unknown how millennials will view the park- we could either be a generation of predominant Pixie Dusters, one that again views Disney as a parental obligation, or one that views it as another campy, boring way to enjoy the time of yesteryear, where grandparents take their grandkids in a futile attempt to morph the mindset of the "kids these days."

PhotoDave219

Back to Hard Ticket Events for a second, only 24 MNSSHP are scheduled this year. One less than last year.

Edit: 20 MVMCPs scheduled. Total of 46 HTE including the 2 NOJs. 12.6% of the year.

Last edited:

Shaman

It may morph into taking your kids to Orlando itself, rather than just WDW.

Back in the 90s for us it was always a trip to Orlando. In fact, we visited both right up until Uni's decline, then it was strictly WDW. No sense in missing out. It doesn't have to be an either or thing. Although, considering the cost, people might have to watch their budgets more these days.

SYRIK2000

Back in the 90s for us it was always a trip to Orlando. In fact, we visited both right up until Uni's decline, then it was strictly WDW. No sense in missing out. It doesn't have to be an either or thing. Although, considering the cost, people might have to watch their budgets more these days.

There are a lot of great things to do in the Orlando area. We love the dinner shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom