A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

The last time Han Solo was on the big screen was 1983.

This is gonna make bank.

That's just it. People that were in their 20's and saw Star Wars are in their 50's and 60's now - and they are going to see this film even just to see Harrison Ford. These people that don't go to the movies really anymore (I'm becoming one - maybe two a year in the theater?).

They have the kids from The Clone Wars and now Rebels, they have the Millenials for the Prequels, they've got Gen X,Y who group up with the originals, and the baby boomers who were young adults when they came out in the first place.

They had to do some 24-hour openings for The Dark Knight Rises...we are gonna see that and more for Ep VII for weeks on end because of demand. Theaters are spending fortunes right now upgrading as many screens as they can to IMAX or at least Real 3D so they can get as much tax as they can.

burgess

This is gonna make bank.

Not saying it won't do well. Just that it's been just the right amount of time since the original Jurassic Park and its sequels for kids of that era to have grown up and earned some movie ticket money, but not yet to have been too jaded about blockbuster movies to just stop going at all. Star Wars is, at this point, still a money making machine, but I don't think nostalgia will be as much of a factor, considering they've been feeding people Star Wars for years straight, Han Solo or not.

PhotoDave219

That's just it. People that were in their 20's and saw Star Wars are in their 50's and 60's now - and they are going to see this film even just to see Harrison Ford. These people that don't go to the movies really anymore (I'm becoming one - maybe two a year in the theater?).

They have the kids from The Clone Wars and now Rebels, they have the Millenials for the Prequels, they've got Gen X,Y who group up with the originals, and the baby boomers who were young adults when they came out in the first place.

They had to do some 24-hour openings for The Dark Knight Rises...we are gonna see that and more for Ep VII for weeks on end because of demand. Theaters are spending fortunes right now upgrading as many screens as they can to IMAX or at least Real 3D so they can get as much tax as they can.

HOLY CRAP. You mean I might be able to watch all SEVEN in the big screen?

Edit: Oh wait, I already have seen the first six on the big screen.

Second Edit: No way if its the Special Edition

Mike S

This is gonna make bank.
image.jpg

AEfx

HOLY CRAP. You mean I might be able to watch all SEVEN in the big screen?

LOL, well of course they are going to do that, silly (though probably you'll be stuck with the SE's, but still...) - it's just a matter of what chains offer up the best deal for them to "partner" with.

But that's not what I was referring to specifically - I mean, the theaters are open 24 hours a day showing the movie. Many theaters did that the weekend The Dark Knight came out, some chains actually have protocol for this (I know Cinemagic does). If a movie sells out X-time before the next showing, they add another.

I walked out of TDK at 5:45AM into a blindingly bright morning light, LOL. When I went to the theater at 11PM for 12AM they were sold out had already added the 3:00 and 3:30AM shows. I found out later it was pretty typical that weekend (and this was in the middle of nowhere, just part of a big chain - an hour outside of a real city).

If TDK got that, as a non 3-D film, I'm betting that they start planning that ahead of time instead of doing on an as-needed basis, and a lot more places do it.

Mike S

Speaking of theaters updating for Star Wars, when I saw Tomorrowland at my local real IMAX theater they made a point of saying they'll have the new 4K laser projectors in time for Star Wars :)

ItlngrlBella

Speaking of theaters updating for Star Wars, when I saw Tomorrowland at my local real IMAX theater they made a point of saying they'll have the new 4K laser projectors in time for Star Wars :)

Has anyone seen what the 4K laser projectors are like? Is it just a gimmick (slightly better quality) or will it greatly change our movie viewing experience?

AEfx

Exactly. Stock went up just from the trailer.

That's what folks are underestimating. I totally see where they are coming from, and I'm sure my talking about it doesn't help because it comes across as StarWarsFanBoiBlather, LOL.

Anyone that knows me knows I like me some Star Wars. Because of that, people always talk Star Wars to me, LOL. And some people would be shocked at how many people were at one point in their lives somehow have very strong, vivid, happy memories of Star Wars. Like, people that haven't seen a "space film" since they saw ROTJ in the theater.

I had a woman in her 50's who sometimes has to stop and have which one is Star Wars and which one is Star Trek explained, who was standing next to me when my phone made an R2-D2 noise. "Hey, that's Artoo!" she said. She couldn't have told you which one he was a part of, but she said "Oh I always loved him" and when I showed her the trailer she put the date in her iPhone calendar. ;)

It's sort of like how we have no concept today of a TV show that literally half the population of the country watched at once - a network show that can pull 10M viewers is a hit today, when that wouldn't even get you in the top 30 back then. Even big films come and go so quick from the culture (Hello! AVATURD!) that it's blink and you miss - I have watched the Oscars every year since I could speak (it's the Gay Superbowl) and even I can't name the last 3 Best Picture winners...

Those lapsed folks are the people that were excited by the trailer - the ones that like the rest of the country had a common cool movie that you just had to see, and one that has certainly held the test of time. Thing is - people are vaguely aware that Star Wars still exists in some form, but to the general public - even the prequels didn't take hold. Most of those 40-60 year-olds didn't even see the prequels because they weren't what they recognized as Star Wars. So it's not oversaturated, it's that there has been this extremely profitable core that has had nothing to do with more general pop culture for a long time.

The Force Awakens was a really smart title, LOL. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom