A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

BlueSkyDriveBy

I know the movie looks terrible, I was just asking how everyone thinks it's going to do at the box office.
That is an excellent question! Especially since the main complaints regarding the feature film industry are now centering around lack of racial and gender diversity.

Feature films, especially comedies, are still mainly centered on white male characters. So the idea of going all-female for the remake of Ghostbusters was born. That being said... the producers had the opportunity to expand the racial makeup of the quartet by including women of color other than just Leslie Jones. (Mindy Kaling and Uzo Aduba easily come to mind.) But, no... we get three white women instead. Just like the original three white dudes.

Female-centric comedy is tough enough to sell. Trainwreck and Bridesmaids seem to be the exception more than the rule. And when this film was announced last year... wow! The vitriol from the fanboys was intense! The level of hatred for this remake was off the chart! That alone is going to put the kibosh on any reasonable profitability from ticket sales. The negative expectations for this film are going to be very difficult to overcome, even with 100% in RT.

PhotoDave219

That is an excellent question! Especially since the main complaints regarding the feature film industry are now centering around lack of racial and gender diversity.

Feature films, especially comedies, are still mainly centered on white male characters. So the idea of going all-female for the remake of Ghostbusters was born. That being said... the producers had the opportunity to expand the racial makeup of the quartet by including women of color other than just Leslie Jones. (Mindy Kaling and Uzo Aduba easily come to mind.) But, no... we get three white women instead. Just like the original three white dudes.

Female-centric comedy is tough enough to sell. Trainwreck and Bridesmaids seem to be the exception more than the rule. And when this film was announced last year... wow! The vitriol from the fanboys was intense! The level of hatred for this remake was off the chart! That alone is going to put the kibosh on any reasonable profitability from ticket sales. The negative expectations for this film are going to be very difficult to overcome, even with 100% in RT.

I was looking forward to what kate mckinnon brings to the table but the trailer just looks horrid. It doesnt look like a good script, at all.

MerlinTheGoat

The funny part about the Ghostbusters backlash is that Sony, the director and the actresses tried to state if you have a negative opinion on the movie, you're a "women hating sexist neckbeard loser". In spite of the negativity being harsh from female viewers of the trailers as well, and the vast majority of the complaints having nothing to do with gender (excepting the obnoxious tiny minority of internet trolls who always pull this nonsense, there were also sexist comments towards Daisy Ridley from Star Wars 7).

I actually saw a mainstream article attacking James Rolfe on his trailer impression (none of his arguments had anything to do with gender). Regardless of your opinion on Rolfe, several people (again from mainstream media) trashed his wife via twitter after seeing Rolfe's wedding ring. Laughing how a stupid woman would actually be with a "pathetic man baby", calling her a nerdy gold digger. Because nothing says combating non-existent misogyny like committing ACTUAL misogyny yourself...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CisFIGXWUAApCI7.jpg

Women have even reported that their reasonable comments were deleted off the trailers, while claiming Sony left actually sexist comments intact to drum up publicity for the movie (knowing that the media would jump on the story).
http://tenaflyviper.tumblr.com/post/140492602470/im-now-part-of-the-sony-deleted-my-comment-on

What a mess. Now that the sexism witchhunt hysteria has subsided however, more people seem to be rationally considering why the movie has such a negative outlook from the general and reasonable majority. None of us wish to be associated with sexist idiots, but it is also important not to throw our brains or critical objectivity out the window either (which the filmmakers are childishly trying to get us to do by equating any negative criticism with bigotry).

In the end (while i will gladly concede to being wrong if the final movie is good), Ghostbusters 2016 looks like a bad movie that a greedy company is making to cash in on nostalgia. Much like Michael Bay's Transformers or TMNT reboots. Even with shades of Uwe Boll given the studio's immature tantrums...

Last edited:

BlueSkyDriveBy

I was looking forward to what kate mckinnon brings to the table but the trailer just looks horrid. It doesnt look like a good script, at all.
This is my take on Ghostbusters as well. I love the actresses! They are all first-rate comediennes! But Geez! Louise! The trailers simply look BAD. They're not funny. They're moronic. And trailers are traditionally comprised of the funniest bits from their respective films! So... what the heck? :confused:

If I can't find anything funny in the trailers... I highly doubt I'll find much humor in the film. :(

NearTheEars

Expectations are likely low. Secret Life of Pets and Dory will likely dominate it on its first weekend, if I had to guess.

I expect it to either win the weekend, or come in a close second to Pets.
Heck, Dumb and Dumber To won its opening weekend with $38M.

(Full disclosure: the Dumb and Dumber films are one of my guilty pleasures, but I recognize they offer little value to society.)

ThemeParkJunkee

This is my take on Ghostbusters as well. I love the actresses! They are all first-rate comediennes! But Geez! Louise! The trailers simply look BAD. They're not funny. They're moronic. And trailers are traditionally comprised of the funniest bits from their respective films! So... what the heck? :confused:

If I can't find anything funny in the trailers... I highly doubt I'll find much humor in the film. :(

That is my take...It is relegated to my "maybe on dvd/on demand/netflix

Cesar R M

The conversation ends when anyone bashes a movie that won't be out for over another month and cites 4chan (really) and Tumblr as credible sources. Rogen's movies aren't for everyone but don't be that person who takes a dump on a product before anyone has seen it. But then again...the script DID leak.
tumblr unfortunately suffers from some severe "social justice" warriors that are the extreme of the worst.

It still reminds me of they could even make death threats at you if you claimed that the new Ghost Busters movie will suck (even if theres a lot of rumors about it being so bad.. they had to NDA the actors and employees)
*shudders*

I always try to avoid THOSE groups of extremists..

Mike S

I suspect Pets will blow Ghostbusters out of the water, Pets looks like a silly fun film, Ghostbusters a pathetic attempt to cash in on nostalgia
Everyone here who wants to see a more physical ride come to Universal should go see Pets. The ride is apparently a done deal for USH but for UOR they seem to want to see how it performs first as I've read on OU.

Cesar R M

The movie no one wanted
They just waited too long to get on track to a third movie with the original cast handing a new generation the lead.

They have some really funny comediennes in the film, I'm amazed they could screw this up so bad.

Probably the same as always been.
a Producer thinking they are "smart", shoving dumb ideas and pushovers and end ruining the movie even if they had amazing actors/source material.

*eyes The Last Airbender and many other giant flops that ended horrendous cancerous monstrosities*

Cesar R M

The issue I have is its a reboot, not a sequel. What the what?

Yet the original actors are in it. Using women was a clever twist, but why cant it be a continuation of the story?

How old is Zemeckis? The BTTF reboot will be in production before the funeral
There is a small chance the movie MIGHT make barely enough money. Think of it like TMNT.
People will be curious, watch it.. inflate the first movie.. the studios will think its a good idea to make a second... but the first ended souring the franchise so much that even if the second movie fixes all the issues.. it will bomb (see TMNT 2, where they barely made the production costs.. the first movie was a total turd in every aspect, including the obvious hijack of the first amazing spiderman devil plot.. the second way better but the damage was done)

PhotoDave219

tumblr unfortunately suffers from some severe "social justice" warriors that are the extreme of the worst.

It still reminds me of they could even make death threats at you if you claimed that the new Ghost Busters movie will suck (even if theres a lot of rumors about it being so bad.. they had to NDA the actors and employees)
*shudders*

Thats why i avoid tumblr.

ThemeParkJunkee

I choose my Tuesday $5 movies based on reviews and promos...I am also very gratefull to this site since I do the really popular movies a week or so later to enhance my experience. Example: @WDW1974 and his recommendation of Inside Out. Saw it in the theater many weeks after it debuted. Other members, Civil War. Carry On, I get a lot of my movie recommendations from here and my time is limited.

brb1006

*shudders*

Don't get me started with the SJWs!

brb1006

So when does Secret Life Of Pets come out? I'm planning on seeing this film sometime this month. Also whats the name of the female white dog that is voiced by the same actress that voices Bellwether from Zootopia?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom