A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

noodles

Probably as off topic as one can get, so message me if you have an answer/opinion:
As an educator, I am really curious as to why members of this board think that our society seems to not be as "classy" as we used to be...
I agree with this sentiment by the way, just wanting to know why you think it "is what it is" today.

Participation trophies, the idea of individual rights taken to politically correct extremes, backlash against corporate greed... lots of places to assign blame.

Phil12

Probably as off topic as one can get, so message me if you have an answer/opinion:
As an educator, I am really curious as to why members of this board think that our society seems to not be as "classy" as we used to be...
I agree with this sentiment by the way, just wanting to know why you think it "is what it is" today.
Our society is not less "classy" than it used to be. Visitation to the parks has grown dramatically over that the last five decades and when you put ten pounds of manure in a five pound bag, something has to give. Studies have proven that when prisons are overcrowded, the rates of assault, abuse and damage to the facility increase.

The parks at WDW comprise the most visited theme park complex in the world. Yet it's been 18 years since they built their last park and during that same time visitation has grown tremendously and the parks have become overcrowded during busy periods.

Vandalism, assault, theft and general discourteous behavior increase with overcrowded conditions even among "classy" people.

However, I think that when "Frozen Ever After" opens this summer, the ice skating Olaf will help to soothe guest behavior and class the place up.

futurecastmembr

The world has gotten smaller, people travel farther and communicate faster so you will see more points of view, less affluent people will visit Disney World, things are more disposable than they used to be because we manufacture so much more. There's no need to jump to the alarmist "our society is doomed" narrative and villainize young people.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

The world has gotten smaller, people travel farther and communicate faster so you will see more points of view, less affluent people will visit Disney World, things are more disposable than they used to be because we manufacture so much more. There's no need to jump to the alarmist "our society is doomed" narrative and villainize young people.
Really? Less affluent people are the core demographic of WDW? You do know how much a trip to WDW costs, right?

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Sure there is.

AEfx

Because sometime in the 1970's, early 1980's when what was previously considered appropriate punishment became child abuse in the public mind, this completely reverse, over-compensating mentality rapidly took over that children were to be treated as little gods and goddesses who were to be kept placated and pleased at all times.

I was among that first generation of kids who were told we were all "special" blah blah - so I can recognize how it's progressed. I still have that tendency when I see an "exit closed" sign on the road..."hmmm, well, I could just sneak off, right? That's for everyone else"... pass my brain for a millisecond before I forget the life lessons I have thankfully learned to correct this thinking.

We've gone from "children should be seen but not heard" to "children shall be worshiped and courted and the center of attention at all times".

AEfx

WDW is not filled with only rich people, it's the most visited theme park in the world. People aren't any different than they've ever been. WDW is just crowded.

It would be insincere to not recognize that Disney has been priced out of the range it traditionally had. Just the sheer cost of admission has gone up so much past inflation as to price it out of many lower-middle and middle class people who used to be able to take a more budget trip to WDW. Particularly when you talk about staying on property, even in the "value" motel resorts they have. And if you don't stay on property, you are now a third class citizen at WDW - whereas everyone who could hold an admission ticket could come in and get the same theme park experience.

futurecastmembr

Because sometime in the 1970's, early 1980's when what was previously considered appropriate punishment became child abuse in the public mind, this completely reverse, over-compensating mentality rapidly took over that children were to be treated as little gods and goddesses who were to be kept placated and pleased at all times.

I was among that first generation of kids who were told we were all "special" blah blah - so I can recognize how it's progressed. I still have that tendency when I see an "exit closed" sign on the road..."hmmm, well, I could just sneak off, right? That's for everyone else"... pass my brain for a millisecond before I forget the life lessons I have thankfully learned to correct this thinking.

We've gone from "children should be seen but not heard" to "children shall be worshiped and courted and the center of attention at all times".

New York was bad in the 70's around the time Disney World opened. There have always been trashy people. WDW is not the height of elegance.

If you want to blame someone for the parks being dirty blame Disney. The political talking points are a little over the top.

AEfx

New York was trashy in the 70's around the time Disney World opened. There have always been trashy people. WDW is not the height of elegance.

If you want to blame someone for the parks being dirty blame Disney. The political talking points are a little over the top.

I don't know what you are talking about or what it has to do with what I posted, so I'll just /nod and :D.

futurecastmembr

I don't know what you are talking about or what it has to do with what I posted, so I'll just /nod and :D.

You're saying people are less classy and that's what's wrong with WDW. I'm saying WDW is just more crowded. You guys brought up a bunch of talking points about political correctness, corporate greed, the "me" generation, etc. which I think is an overreaction.

Cesar R M

Beer goggles and a sense of adventure?
MWtZDgQ.jpg

AEfx

You're saying people are less classy and that's what's wrong with WDW.

Not "what's wrong with WDW" - but yeah, people are a lot less classy today because there is no incentive to act properly. Daily I see things kids do that I wouldn't have dared do as a kid - because I knew there were consequences. Further, even without that worry of consequence - I didn't act like that because I would have been too embarrassed to act like that, particularly around strangers.

Class can't be bought - you either know how to behave, or you don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom