A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

betty rose

Because sometime in the 1970's, early 1980's when what was previously considered appropriate punishment became child abuse in the public mind, this completely reverse, over-compensating mentality rapidly took over that children were to be treated as little gods and goddesses who were to be kept placated and pleased at all times.

I was among that first generation of kids who were told we were all "special" blah blah - so I can recognize how it's progressed. I still have that tendency when I see an "exit closed" sign on the road..."hmmm, well, I could just sneak off, right? That's for everyone else"... pass my brain for a millisecond before I forget the life lessons I have thankfully learned to correct this thinking.

We've gone from "children should be seen but not heard" to "children shall be worshiped and courted and the center of attention at all times".
I grew up in the 50's, "favorite quote, back then". Respect your elders, and children are to be seen and not heard. I'm not saying that was fair, but we respected people and the things that are not ours. I went in the 70's, it was crowded back then too, as there was only the magic kingdom. But, I never saw people just throw trash on the ground, climb on things they weren't supposed to, or any loud and obnoxious behavior out of kids or adults. Times, were certainly different back at that time. I'm not raggin' on any particular age of people. The bad behavior can come from all ages, and economics.

Nemo14

If the student hasn't learned...well you know the rest. At University, there are no participation trophies.
Actually there are, if you're an athlete.

I have to add to this conversation that my husband and I raised our kids through the 80's and 90's in a similar manner to what you describe - no cell phones til they were old enough to drive, no elaborate birthday parties, very limited TV. We didn't even have internet til I felt they needed it for school, and even then we had one computer in the living room where we could see exactly what they were doing on it. At the time they may have resented it, but now as adults they've come to appreciate what they really did have.

gmajew

Premium Member
Really? Less affluent people are the cot demographic of WDW? You do know how much a trip to WDW costs, right?

A trip to disney if not staying on property is not crazy.... 4 days in the parks the tickets are $1300.00. Expensive but that is for 4 days in the park which is a lot..... Now I am not saying it is cheap but for a once every 5 year trip it really is not bad... I have friends that do disney every year for under 2500.00

mickeyfan5534

Part of me is saying, "let's wait and see." The other part is saying, "if it's not baroque, don't fix it."

This movie went through the same people that approved Cinderella and The Jungle Book right? I love the sets and Emma Watson sounds great from the little we hear of her. The music is both simple and elegant, as Beauty and the Beast should be. I think this movie is going to be on the good Disney Live Action Adaptation side.

gmajew

Premium Member
This movie went through the same people that approved Cinderella and The Jungle Book right? I love the sets and Emma Watson sounds great from the little we hear of her. The music is both simple and elegant, as Beauty and the Beast should be. I think this movie is going to be on the good Disney Live Action Adaptation side.

This is going to be one of the harder ones for them to pull off in my eyes as the animated film was on of the best of all times. It has much higher expectations then the other ones they have done. I hope they pull it off, but the this version may be to soon to the animated as to many kids and people still cherish the original.

mickeyfan5534

This is going to be one of the harder ones for them to pull off in my eyes as the animated film was on of the best of all times. It has much higher expectations then the other ones they have done. I hope they pull it off, but the this version may be to soon to the animated as to many kids and people still cherish the original.
It's been over 30 years since the film came out. We've seen remakes of films that came out 10 years ago let alone 30. I think it's a good time to remake the film. If Frozen were being remade, I'd have worries but Beauty and the Beast is a 35 year old film and has stood the test of time. It's still the best film in the Disney animated canon. No small feat when you're up against movies like Snow White, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Zootopia. I have every confidence that Disney will make Beauty and the Beast stand out as the masterpiece is should be.

Mike S

It's been over 30 years since the film came out. We've seen remakes of films that came out 10 years ago let alone 30. I think it's a good time to remake the film. If Frozen were being remade, I'd have worries but Beauty and the Beast is a 35 year old film and has stood the test of time. It's still the best film in the Disney animated canon. No small feat when you're up against movies like Snow White, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Zootopia. I have every confidence that Disney will make Beauty and the Beast stand out as the masterpiece is should be.
It's been 25 years since 1991...

Katie G

I'm a GenY and I totally agree with the previous statements. My parents didn't cave to the pressure to give us everything everyone else had. We had to earn the things we wanted. It was a requirement that half of our chore money went to a savings account that we couldn't touch until we were adults. We also had to pick a charity to give part of our chore money to or volunteer regularly. By the time I was 14, I had logged over 500 hours of volunteer service. I didn't have a cell phone until I could drive. I had to buy my own car and pay the gas and insurance. It taught me a lot and I was always proud of what I had and took care of it.

I'm at the age now where most of my friends are having babies. I don't even want children b/c I wouldn't want to raise a child in this environment. And I know the environment will not improve. I pray for my friends and family members having children and hope I can be the cool aunt/ role model they look up to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a film that involves a man transformed into a beast, an enchanted rose and castle, plus talking Candlesticks, Clocks, Tea pots etc - think you can expect some CGI...

And yet none of that was in the trailer I commented on... ever think of that angle before you dismissed the comments?

The trailer was all staging and scenery..

flynnibus

Premium Member

They redid Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella... both of which I think people can argue are far bigger hitters than B&TB... especially since the prior two have multiple more generations of people who have an engrained view of what the film and characters are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom