A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
However it is a story that does require a pretty heavy amount of CGI to make the story work on screen (or at least in our and the movies opinion)

It requires CGI to show a ballroom? It requires CGI to show the other two rooms in the sequence? It looks like a video game.. not a feature film.

I never said anything about the characters or other elements... I was speaking to what we've seen, which is this teaser and the production design they've taken with those sets and scenery.

mickeyfan5534

It requires CGI to show a ballroom? It requires CGI to show the other two rooms in the sequence? It looks like a video game.. not a feature film.

I never said anything about the characters or other elements... I was speaking to what we've seen, which is this teaser and the production design they've taken with those sets and scenery.
The cobwebs looked CG but the sets looked practical to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think we'd all agree you might just want to skip this one.
Not all films appeal to everyone, and that's OK.

I commented on the artistic and production choices.. and people came back with 'its required for this film'. That's not a matter of appeal, that is a matter of people arguing the choice was the only one available.

Mine was really more a comment on the production... It looks like a video game.

Disney Analyst

Okay people are just reaching for things to complain about now... Of course there is CG involved. I see tons of practical sets as well in that trailer. And for goodness sake it's a teaser, it barely shows a thing.

The thing I'm most excited about.. Hearing the Broadway orchestrations

JDL30

Evidently the movie makers feels it does require CGI to show an imaginary, fantasy ballroom in an imaginary, fantasy castle. Again as I said they could have gone the realism route and make the castle feel like a real castle (but living in a country where we have our fair share of them, they are pretty dark, formal and dusty spaces), but evidently they decided that this is a fairytale, and therefore wanted it to be more fantastical...

Completely understand if you don't like the feel of what they've done - again it's your opinion, but there are plenty of reasons artistically why they decided to go down this route

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would have liked to have seen the Haunted Mansion movie be a period piece. It was certainly bad before, but now it's dated AND bad.

I had never seen it.. but saw a portion of it on HBO over the weekend (it was on in the background while doing other things). The portion I saw didn't seem to be as bad as it's reputation. I think it had more about it's not the HM film people wanted... the tone and approach didn't match what a lot of fans think about the HM. And of course it's liberties with the HM story elements.

I'd be out to try to watch the whole thing.. (I only saw maybe the last 30+mins)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Evidently the movie makers feels it does require CGI to show an imaginary, fantasy ballroom in an imaginary, fantasy castle. Again as I said they could have gone the realism route and make the castle feel like a real castle (but living in a country where we have our fair share of them, they are pretty dark, formal and dusty spaces), but evidently they decided that this is a fairytale, and therefore wanted it to be more fantastical...

You didn't find Hogwarts 'fantasical'? While Hogwarts is more medieval castle, full CGI isn't the only way to create chateaus..

MotherOfBirds

I had never seen it.. but saw a portion of it on HBO over the weekend (it was on in the background while doing other things). The portion I saw didn't seem to be as bad as it's reputation. I think it had more about it's not the HM film people wanted... the tone and approach didn't match what a lot of fans think about the HM. And of course it's liberties with the HM story elements.

I'd be out to try to watch the whole thing.. (I only saw maybe the last 30+mins)

It's not unwatchable, but the most of Murphy's scenes are painful. I'd highly recommend making it into a halloween drinking game. It helps heal the hole in my heart, though no amount of liquor and therapy can improve Pepe Le Queue.

Donaldfan1934

About the CGI in the live action BatB, I don't think live action style enchanted objects will work. They were animated for a reason. When done in a realistic style, it'll just end up looking scary like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. Although in that case, I think it's largely because of his art style.

JDL30

You didn't find Hogwarts 'fantasical'? While Hogwarts is more medieval castle, full CGI isn't the only way to create chateaus..

And if you look at most of the Harry Potter trailers they use a LOT of CGI mixed with the real world castles they shot at. Not sure why you seem to take people having a different view from you so personally - some of us saw the trailer and thought it looked enchanting and can't wait to see the film, you didn't. Can't please everyone...

the.dreamfinder

like models for establishing shots...
Hogwarts_model_studio_tour.jpg

or building actual sets...

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/c/Cinderella.html#.V0M4d_T3anM
In fact, the Grand Ball was filmed on Pinewood’s 007 Soundstage, the largest in Europe. The gigantic set (here come the stats: 50 yards long, 35 yards wide and 30 feet high) was designed by Dante Ferretti, the Production Designer who worked with Pier Paolo Pasolini and Federico Fellini, and went on to design The Aviator, Shutter Island and Gangs Of New York for Martin Scorsese. Ferretti took visual elements from such displays of architectural bravura as the Louvre, the Opera Garnier and the Hotel de Soubise in Paris, as well as the UK’s Blenheim Palace.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And if you look at most of the Harry Potter trailers they use a LOT of CGI mixed with the real world castles they shot at

I know.. they also projected awe and realism when it came to the castle. I never said anything about zero use of CGI.. I was speaking to the lack of scope and feel the the "video game" images shown in this teaser. Harry Potter is a great example of how the blending works... films like The Hobbit show the upper bounds of extreme CGI yet on the boundary (falls in the debatable land IMO)... but look at films like Jupiter Ascending to see how too much CGI cuts the film from having a feeling of scale and physical presence to simply being a canvas/environment people are acting in.

JDL30

I know.. they also projected awe and realism when it came to the castle. I never said anything about zero use of CGI.. I was speaking to the lack of scope and feel the the "video game" images shown in this teaser. Harry Potter is a great example of how the blending works... films like The Hobbit show the upper bounds of extreme CGI yet on the boundary (falls in the debatable land IMO)... but look at films like Jupiter Ascending to see how too much CGI cuts the film from having a feeling of scale and physical presence to simply being a canvas/environment people are acting in.

I think you need to wait until a fuller trailer and see the film - if you look at the below stills from Harry Potter (which are used heavily in the trailers) they feel very CGI - I think as they are selling the film they are trying to go for as many fantasy elements as possible, there seems to be a similar amount of physical sets and computer graphics...
GreatHallYuleBall.jpg
hotwarts.jpg
B&B 2.png
B&B 3.png
B&B 1.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think you need to wait until a fuller trailer and see the film - if you look at the below stills from Harry Potter (which are used heavily in the trailers) they feel very CGI - I think as they are selling the film they are trying to go for as many fantasy elements as possible, there seems to be a similar amount of physical sets and computer graphics...

Ok, last post since people can't seem to follow a simple line of thought.. its about the scenes in B&TB trailer.

I never said every scene in HP was lacking in CGI - I pointed to HP as EXAMPLES where physical sets and models are used to bring that scale and credibility to the scene.. to debunk the idea that 'CGI is the only way' line of retorts regarding creating these kinds of scenes. Full CGI is not the only way to achieve the kinds of scenes or 'fantasy' seen in the B&TB trailer counter to some of the replies here. But it gives you a nice story book look which clearly some are soaking up...

WDW1974

Original Poster
The name was PM'd - It wasn't hard to dig up just googling against his social media. He's been with Disney P&R for 35 years (mostly DLR, recently HK and now SDL)
I just thought it felt a little invasive to plaster his name on a message board for no real reason beyond curiosity

I don't feel there is anything wrong with mentioning him by name. Joe Guajardo. A mid-level management type. As near as I can tell from talking with people he is on a temp assignment in Shanghai, which affords him loads of time to make his presence felt in social media and plaster some pics, some very nice ones at that, all over the Tweeter. That then get picked up by that Dakota kid and retweeted all over.

Oh, and Joe has worked at WDW lately, apparently. Not entirely sure in what capacity. I do know I have met him somewhere.

I had a long chat with a friend last night and this project came up and while I continue to maintain that the park really looks good and detailed, I'll maintain that it is very short on attractions (yes, it outdoes HKDL's opening lineup ... but that is about it). I think much like with a new car, people can get high on new theme park smell and not notice the deficiencies.

But it is very interesting to see social media's impact on the opening of this park ... unlike every Disney park before. Sure, the Internet existed and was a factor dating back to DAK's opening in 1998, but nothing has opened in the FB/Twitter/Instagram era.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Taken off is right. The amount of bloat in your threads has gotten completely crazy. I may not agree with a lot of what you post, but you do bring up many good talking points. Which then get lost in the nonsense of a handful of posters who, while seemingly agreeing with your general point of view, completely hijack the thread. It's almost like they have a compulsion to see their names on every page of the thread. Meanwhile, most of those posts bring nothing to the table. Makes it an impossible task to keep up with any news or worthwhile discussions happening here.

edit to add...

Look at the posts that followed this one. Nonsense of the highest degree. Pictures of bug sculptures and water towers, along with some sort of Buffalo Chipolte post. Nonsense.

This is an issue. I wish people had more self-control. Sometimes I have an extra 15-30 minutes and can drop in here, but don't even know where to begin. So ... I don't ...

Right now, my free time is about up ... I dropped the latest ToT news in my Marvel thread ... stuck a few posts here and have to run.

I do think posts here should have some Disney/industry connection or point or be removed. I know my threads provoke discussion, but this thread doesn't have to be 88 pages if 30 pages are just ... well, stuff!

Soarin' Over Pgh

This is an issue. I wish people had more self-control. Sometimes I have an extra 15-30 minutes and can drop in here, but don't even know where to begin. So ... I don't ...

Right now, my free time is about up ... I dropped the latest ToT news in my Marvel thread ... stuck a few posts here and have to run.

I do think posts here should have some Disney/industry connection or point or be removed. I know my threads provoke discussion, but this thread doesn't have to be 88 pages if 30 pages are just ... well, stuff!

Agreed, mostly. I'm trying to take the excellent point @ThemeParkJunkee made to PM's... are you interested? I will send an invite out to join. :)

Edit- just realized how awesomely ironic this post is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom