A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

tirian

One thing I do not understand is why did they have to purchase Lucasfilm outright in order to see this. What I'm saying is why would they even bother to negotiate theme park rights with Cameron when they already had the theme park rights to Lucasfilm properties since the mid-1980's? Yes, it would've required GL's cooperation, but why would that be an issue since he was back in the WDI fold with ST 2.0?

"Having eyes, they do not see."

Really? I could've sworn that was NBC by a good mile. I guess they must alternate between 2nd and 3rd place.
I checked the 2015 annual rankings; ABC is the lowest of the Big Three.

Donaldfan1934

Avatar is still the single highest grossing movie. Was that a good reason to get it? Maybe not. But it'll sure be good for us WDW fans :)
Internationally speaking, yes. Domestically speaking, guess what beat its gross both unadjusted and adjusted? They both were in the $2 billion range internationally, so I was confused as to which one you were referring to. Point is, no one cares about Avatar anymore nor its sequels that will never get made.

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Internationally speaking, yes. Domestically speaking, guess what beat it gross both unadjusted and adjusted? They both were in the $2 billion range internationally, so I was confused as to which one you were referring to. Point is, no one cares about Avatar anymore nor its sequels that will never get made.
People that still dress up as Navi at comic cons do....

flynnibus

Premium Member
But my point is that Avatar wasn't owned by Disney either and still isn't, so why go after it if you have a bigger IP in your arsenal?

SW wasn't in their arsenal... and Avatar had multiple upcoming movies being made.. while Star Wars was a dormant property as far as films were considered. Iger jumped at whatever he could and the earthy theme dovetails with DAK which was in need.

Once Disney bought Lucasfilm.. and turned on the movie spigot.. the world looks very different. But DAK was still in need so its not a total brain fart... it all depends on how they setup the deal if it will be bad for Disney in the long term.

Donaldfan1934

SW wasn't in their arsenal... and Avatar had multiple upcoming movies being made.. while Star Wars was a dormant property as far as films were considered. Iger jumped at whatever he could and the earthy theme dovetails with DAK which was in need.

Once Disney bought Lucasfilm.. and turned on the movie spigot.. the world looks very different. But DAK was still in need so its not a total brain fart... it all depends on how they setup the deal if it will be bad for Disney in the long term.
Yes, it was dormant on the movie production front, but the existing movies were still popular and The Clone Wars series was still going strong at the time. I can't imagine that Iger wouldn't have known the franchise was still uber profitable despite the lack of new movies since Star Wars Weekends was still clicking the turnstiles at DHS every May and the re-imagining of Star Tours was green-lit on both coasts simultaneously. Yes, DAK still has a lot of problems, but DHS has even more and should've been far more urgent.

ANJ

Avatarland in AKL will be a slam dunk. If you were starving and I threw you a bologna sandwich you would eat it like a over priced 12 oz sirloin served at one of Disney's over priced dining establishments. But this will be it. No matter how successful any of the sequels will be there will not be any further expansion of Avatar. Iger was desperate for something, anything. Avatar was a pure "See JK I don't need you I have blue sex kittens"

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, it was dormant on the movie production front, but the existing movies were still popular and The Clone Wars series was still going strong at the time. I can't imagine that Iger wouldn't have known the franchise was still uber profitable despite the lack of new movies since Star Wars Weekends was still clicking the turnstiles at DHS every May and the re-imagining of Star Tours was green-lit on both coasts simultaneously. Yes, DAK still has a lot of problems, but DHS has even more and should've been far more urgent.

You can argue what he should have done with us... but we aren't Iger... and we're just laying out reasons Avatar was attractive. The final decision.. you're just wasting time trying to convince us.. we weren't the ones to convince.

twebber55

Internationally speaking, yes. Domestically speaking, guess what beat its gross both unadjusted and adjusted? They both were in the $2 billion range internationally, so I was confused as to which one you were referring to. Point is, no one cares about Avatar anymore nor its sequels that will never get made.
who cares now they have both
great for both parks (DHS and DAK)

Donaldfan1934

You can argue what he should have done with us... but we aren't Iger... and we're just laying out reasons Avatar was attractive. The final decision.. you're just wasting time trying to convince us.. we weren't the ones to convince.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. I was just trying to rationalize his decision making and hoping that someone with more definitive inside information would explain why SWL wasn't on the table at the time. Again, they don't understand themselves and I don't understand them.

Last edited:

Mike S

Can we all just agree that this looks incredible?
download_image

lazyboy97o

I agree with what you're saying. They may very well boast about attendance to the resort rather than just the park, to make attendance figures seem higher. And that could be misleading. If they compare SDL's attendance to the attendance of someplace else, but count each differently, that would certainly be misleading. Or if they use some weird metric without being clear on what exactly that metric is. Imagine if they count guests with black hair... SDL would top WDW for sure! :D

But the recent articles (at least most of them) do make it clear that these are visitors to the whole resort, rather than just to the park. So Disney isn't lying, and I wouldn't even say they're being misleading here, at least not yet. Most people who care about this are aware that the park isn't open yet to the general public and is only in trial operations. So I think the main purpose of the news story was to highlight how high the interest is, by pointing out that so many people came to the resort even though they couldn't even get into the park. But it will certainly be interesting to see if they use this same "style" of counting when the park actually opens. Probably depends on what the real numbers are.

Disney rarely (ever?) releases actual attendance numbers for the parks. But the TEA (Themed Entertainment Association) takes estimates, and those estimates are posted for individual parks, not any resort as a whole. So basically, if us smart and informed people get past their tricky wording, we should be able to see what the real numbers are more like.

Unless Disney pays/bribes TEA to play with the numbers, as @WDW1974 says may be happening. That would be even worse. That would be beyond simply misleading. That would be wrong by both parties.

I hope attendance is high, that's for sure, but I also hope they report their attendance honestly.
The TEA does not doing any estimated. That is done by AECOM Economics (the legacy business of Harrison "Buzz" Price) and nobody ever seems able to provide a motivation for why they would deliberately undermine their own business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom