A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

mickEblu

So Disney announced Soarin over California coming back, Tiffins menu, jungle book start date, and frozen opening date, all on a Friday. Friday's are typically slow news days or days they announce closures. Are more closures or some bad news coming later today and all of these announcements are making that not look as bad?

Where did they announce Soarin Over California is coming back ?

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I have nothing personal against the man, however, under his leadership, WDW in particular has been largely mismanaged in a number of ways. You can count me in that number of people who want to see him have to lay in the bed he made.
Mismanaged how? There have been tons of refurbs over the last 5 years, and now major additions to at least 2 parks, and who knows what more will be coming soon. Did he pump money into it during his first few years as CEO? Nope, because some have speculated that other parts of TWDC needed a lot of money to fix their divisions first. Now that it is on a better footing, tons of money is flowing into WDW.

And please don't forget that literally billions of dollars has gone into road improvements, IT improvements, new hotels, etc.

Monorail_Orange

Mismanaged how? There have been tons of refurbs over the last 5 years, and now major additions to at least 2 parks, and who knows what more will be coming soon. Did he pump money into it during his first few years as CEO? Nope, because some have speculated that other parts of TWDC needed a lot of money to fix their divisions first. Now that it is on a better footing, tons of money is flowing into WDW.

And please don't forget that literally billions of dollars has gone into road improvements, IT improvements, new hotels, etc.
So clearly you've missed that the last E-ticket added in WDW was 10 years ago, the declining by degrees/death by a thousand cuts all to make margins look better, oh, and since you brought up IT investment-the total quagmire that is MyMagic+. Road improvement falls into Reedy Creek - not parks and resorts budget, by and large, so scratch that one off your list. And you weaken your point by adding "who knows what else to come." What we know is it now takes them 5+ years to add a new land (Avatar, Star Wars best projections) when the original EPCOT center was built in less than 3 years? Look, you have your opinion, and that's just fine, so keep defending the indefensible, and let's just see who's right. For a preview, check out the drop in attendance and boost in discount offers in WDW. They speak volumes.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
So clearly you've missed that the last E-ticket added in WDW was 10 years ago, the declining by degrees/death by a thousand cuts all to make margins look better, oh, and since you brought up IT investment-the total quagmire that is MyMagic+. Road improvement falls into Reedy Creek - not parks and resorts budget, by and large, so scratch that one off your list. And you weaken your point by adding "who knows what else to come." What we know is it now takes them 5+ years to add a new land (Avatar, Star Wars best projections) when the original EPCOT center was built in less than 3 years? Look, you have your opinion, and that's just fine, so keep defending the indefensible, and let's just see who's right. For a preview, check out the drop in attendance and boost in discount offers in WDW. They speak volumes.
So maybe you missed my point that maybe the rest of TWDC was in much worse shape financially than the P&R division, and needed the capital expenditures to fix their issues first.

The "quagmire" of MM+ as you put it, was mostly spent on back-end improvements to systems and networks. Do you have any idea how much money it costs to set up a wireless network in a place such as a theme park that gets 40,000 visitors on average, and make it all work? I do, and it's in the 9 figure range. Do you know how much it costs to replace 30,000 Mickey head shaped RFID door openers? What about the servers and bandwidth needed to ensure that when a customer scans their MB, it can check and authenticate in less than 1/2 second to open that door. Do you have any idea how much that sort of thing costs? I do, and it ain't cheap.

Avatar started construction in January 2014, so only a bit over 3 years. Estimates on SWL for DL is less than 3 years from start to finish, and there is only speculation as to when the DHS version will be done. In case you didn't know, but the last what you call E-Ticket, Expedition Everest - took 6 years for planning and construction, so long timelines are nothing new. NO ONE knows for sure exactly how long the current projects are going to take to complete.

I am not defending everything that TWDC does now or has done, but it seems that you and others try to bash every single thing they do, regardless of how good or bad. I just try to interject reality into y'alls rants.

Soarin' Over Pgh

giphy.gif

TalkingHead

It occurs to me that next year when the Avatar marketing machine ramps up there are going to be a lot of internet readers who will think that "New Avatar Ride Opening at Disney World" is an Onion headline.

Something else that'll raise some guests' eyebrows: Soarin' 2.0 opens at Epcot this summer; Soarin' 3.0 opens at DAK next year. (And Soarin' 4.0 opens at DHS in 2020?)

PhotoDave219

I just don't subscribe to the management culture that's been in place for about 20 years. I don't believe that an effective manager can manage anything. I believe completely the opposite, you need managers with specialization who understand how an area should be run. No, I don't think that a manager in food service can also manage transportation.

I feel little past 20 years there's a giant disconnect between the front line and upper management that Has grown to a vast riff. I feel that the only metric upper management uses or looks that anymore is revenue. I see any investments being done anymore are simply done as cheap as possible to maintain the bottom line.

As a result of all of this, the burden of an enjoyable vacation has been placed on the guest in that the guests must jump through endless hoops that 20 years ago were unfathomable and That kind of crap just isn't fun.

On the other hand… I think the Board of Directors is finally beginning to catch on the what's going on in the parks. They want new blood. And I can't blame them…

Monorail_Orange

So maybe you missed my point that maybe the rest of TWDC was in much worse shape financially than the P&R division, and needed the capital expenditures to fix their issues first.

The "quagmire" of MM+ as you put it, was mostly spent on back-end improvements to systems and networks. Do you have any idea how much money it costs to set up a wireless network in a place such as a theme park that gets 40,000 visitors on average, and make it all work? I do, and it's in the 9 figure range. Do you know how much it costs to replace 30,000 Mickey head shaped RFID door openers? What about the servers and bandwidth needed to ensure that when a customer scans their MB, it can check and authenticate in less than 1/2 second to open that door. Do you have any idea how much that sort of thing costs? I do, and it ain't cheap.

Avatar started construction in January 2014, so only a bit over 3 years. Estimates on SWL for DL is less than 3 years from start to finish, and there is only speculation as to when the DHS version will be done. In case you didn't know, but the last what you call E-Ticket, Expedition Everest - took 6 years for planning and construction, so long timelines are nothing new. NO ONE knows for sure exactly how long the current projects are going to take to complete.

I am not defending everything that TWDC does now or has done, but it seems that you and others try to bash every single thing they do, regardless of how good or bad. I just try to interject reality into y'alls rants.
And perhaps you missed my point that MyMagic+ was a bad investment for the very reasons you list, combined with what has now proven to be very minimal, if any, return on said investment.

Also, since you claim to want to inject reality, here's a little reality for you: the idea that TWDC was not investing in the P&R division to invest in other divisions is absolutely bunk. Each of the 6 divisions of the company stands virtually alone. At no time was P&R's budget redirected to the studio or DCP. Maybe there's an argument that some of that was done within P&R, but you claim other divisions of TWDC.

Look at my posts, I do not bash everything TWDC or WDW does, but I'm not afraid to call a foul when I see one. But again, you are entitled to your opinion, but recognize that it is your opinion, and others may disagree.

betty rose

I just don't subscribe to the management culture that's been in place for about 20 years. I don't believe that an effective manager can manage anything. I believe completely the opposite, you need managers with specialization who understand how an area should be run. No, I don't think that a manager in food service can also manage transportation.

I feel little past 20 years there's a giant disconnect between the front line and upper management that Has grown to a vast riff. I feel that the only metric upper management uses or looks that anymore is revenue. I see any investments being done anymore are simply done as cheap as possible to maintain the bottom line.

As a result of all of this, the burden of an enjoyable vacation has been placed on the guest in that the guests must jump through endless hoops that 20 years ago were unfathomable and That kind of crap just isn't fun.

On the other hand… I think the Board of Directors is finally beginning to catch on the what's going on in the parks. They want new blood. And I can't blame them…
I'm so happy to hear that. I have gone since the beginning, and own DVC, they started cutting after we bought in. So much was promised and so little was delivered. Do I love Disney, yes.....but I don't stay in the parks like I used to. We are going to eat at City Walk this year. My first time over to the dark side:joyfull:.

Monorail_Orange

I think it is time to get off calling Flight of Passage as Soarin 2.0 or 3.0 or 3.14....it isn't even the same ride system.
I have not kept up with the rumors on this, but the last I heard is was simply a next-generation version of Soarin' by adding additional movement capability. If that remains true, then it really is just Soarin 3.whatever, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom