A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wouldn't say that to the Off Kilter fans! ;)
Change can be good, as long as the replacement is equal to or greater than the original. :)

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ If Off Kilter and Mo' Rockin, Mulch Sweat and Shears had been replaced by BETTER acts I don't think the backlash seen now would exist, The fans would find the musicians in the original acts and support them and the new acts would build a fanbase.

Brer Panther

I do not see the Genie as a strength. His improvisations about Kim Kardashian brought the show to a stone cold stop. If the best thing about the show was a character who had to break the fourth wall and make anachronistic references, that means the show itself was weak. Frozen, despite some pacing issues, feels like an actual Broadway show, and thank God Olaf never stops the action to look right at me and make jokes about Glee.
Good point, but are Frozen's jokes about pee and nose-picking really that much of an improvement?

PiratesoftheHM

Not that I'm expecting it will do anything, but has anyone heard any rumblings at all of TDA/TWDC's opinion or thoughts on the large amount of negative feedback on social media they're getting for Guardians Breakout? Does it concern them at all, and do you think that the negative feedback from this will make them realize the real disaster it would be if DHS follow suit?

Seemed like when the announcement was first made - freakout. Now the closing date announced - more freakout. Will we have a fan freakout every time a new DPB comes out haha? Not that I mind if we do... I want them to realize this was a crap decision.

@marni1971 @WDW1974 @MansionButler84

BrianLo

Not that I'm expecting it will do anything, but has anyone heard any rumblings at all of TDA/TWDC's opinion or thoughts on the large amount of negative feedback on social media they're getting for Guardians Breakout? Does it concern them at all, and do you think that the negative feedback from this will make them realize the real disaster it would be if DHS follow suit?

Seemed like when the announcement was first made - freakout. Now the closing date announced - more freakout. Will we have a fan freakout every time a new DPB comes out haha? Not that I mind if we do... I want them to realize this was a crap decision.

@marni1971 @WDW1974 @MansionButler84

It's 99% not happening at DHS. However, this will long be done in the scheme of WDW's speed to start projects. I'd expect the finished products' reception would dictate more than the interim reaction.

Disney is doing a relatively poor job of expressing to the General Public that the "Tower of Terror" is not going anywhere. A chunk of commenters are expressing disdain over the ride getting knocked down rather than the loss of the Twilight Zone IP.

I'd start with knocking out the subtitle, personally...

I've said this before, but corporate Disney is a lot like the weather. It's going to do whatever it wants to do whether we like it or not.

Well - that explains why corporate Disney needed a weatherman!

29309004012_477f99ef5f_o.png

*I really just wanted an excuse to post this photo, which has brought me a great amount of laughter in the last few minutes... (sorry for the nightmares)

Mike S

It's 99% not happening at DHS. However, this will long be done in the scheme of WDW's speed to start projects. I'd expect the finished products' reception would dictate more than the interim reaction.

Disney is doing a relatively poor job of expressing to the General Public that the "Tower of Terror" is not going anywhere. A chunk of commenters are expressing disdain over the ride getting knocked down rather than the loss of the Twilight Zone IP.

I'd start with knocking out the subtitle, personally...
From the announcement video, the concept art, and the announced timeline, if anyone truly thinks the ride is being torn down completely that's no ones fault but their own.

I'd like to think most people are smarter than that and most of the outrage is for the same reasons stated on sites like this. Shoving in an unneeded IP that could have a better purpose built ride, even at DCA ToT is good enough to not get shafted like this, how the heck does this tie with "California," etc. etc...
Well - that explains why corporate Disney needed a weatherman!

29309004012_477f99ef5f_o.png

*I really just wanted an excuse to post this photo, which has brought me a great amount of laughter in the last few minutes... (sorry for the nightmares)
Wow. He looks so stiff and awkward.

DinoInstitute

There's certainly an element of that with Horizons capacity in the 2500-2800 range. But keep in mind while Horizons, Imagination and World of Motion were family favorites, we were excited about the next iterations of those pavilions. It's hard to get excited about a 6 month retheme of DCA's Tower of Terror, or re-telling the Frozen story.

The argument that the fan community blew their justifiable complaint chance on Aladdin is ignorant. Disney is making bad decisions and they should be called out for doing so. Ultimately replacing Horizons with Mission: SPACE was a mistake, but it was a mistake in hindsight, not a mistake at the time. The differences with today's mistakes are that intelligent fans are identifying them as mistakes before it's too late, yet Disney is moving forward anyways.

In the Iger administration, Disney has moved forward with several projects despite fan protests and the fans have been correct. Historically, Disney was smart enough to know what the fans wanted before the fans themselves knew. Now that has flipped.
  • My Magic+: Fans recognized very early on that this was a mistake and a financial nightmare.
  • Frozen Ever After: Fans recognized the thematic and operational issues that came to fruition
  • World Showcase Entertainment changes: Fans were most upset at Off Kilter getting the boot, and the Old Mill stage has been home to a revolving door of lesser acts. (Addendum to this, I think World Showcase Entertainment is actually in pretty good shape outside of Canada).
  • Aladdin to be replaced by Toy Story: At the time, the Aladdin show was the best thing in that park, fan's complained and successfully staved off the execution.
  • Aladdin ultimately replaced by Frozen: Conflicting opinions here, you know what side I'm on.
  • Guardians of the Tower: Honestly, I don't hate it, but that doesn't make it a good idea. They're doing this in 6 months. It's going to take longer to convert Pizza Planet to PizzaRizzo.
  • Guardians in Energy: Not confirmed by the company yet, so I reserve the right to change my opinion here. My argument now is primarily on thematic fit in what has become the worst Disney park in the country.
Also not technically confirmed yet, but add Mickey ride replacing GMR
I'm not sure which side you are arguing on Mermaid vs Pan, but IMO Pan is overrated. I'm not sure the general consensus on Mermaid in Florida, but in California it's not highly regarded by most.

I disagree on the improvising in Aladdin being executed well (in the DCA show.) It dragged on way too long much of the time and personally I found less than half the jokes actually landed. Perhaps I have just seen and participated in too many quality theater productions that included improvisation.
I think Mermaid in Florida is a fine attraction. It's no E or D, but it's not supposed to be; it's a nice filler attraction and well executed. I think a lot of people's problems with it stem from the queue being grander than the actual ride itself (which really didn't bother me, I knew what to expect going into the ride as I imagine most did so I just appreciated the nice queue)

From the announcement video, the concept art, and the announced timeline, if anyone truly thinks the ride is being torn down completely that's no ones fault but their own.

I'd like to think most people are smarter than that and most of the outrage is for the same reasons stated on sites like this. Shoving in an unneeded IP that could have a better purpose built ride, even at DCA ToT is good enough to not get shafted like this, how the heck does this tie with "California," etc. etc...

Wow. He looks so stiff and awkward.
That's actually what bugs me about the tower. I personally really don't think the design is that ugly, actually kind of cool, but the fact that it's so clearly just overlaying the exact shape of the ToT looks ridiculous and really lazy.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom