A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

BrerJon

Ceremony starts at 25 minutes in. Pretty impressive production, with custom music throughout. I think the US parks could learn from this-every Disney show doesn't need to include a million characters and rehashes of songs and video from every Disney movie. Custom and unique content makes shows more interesting.

I like the idea of a park opening ceremony being like that of an Olympics, with abstract music, dance and art performances, rather than just a long commercial for IP.

brb1006

No guests going in yet (not til noon). Im in the first holding pen but I'm not sure if they had guests standing at the gate. None of the executive stuff is visible.

Pro tip, 2 hours and change seems to have been the correct not too early, not too late time to arrive... You know, if they ever open another resort in our lifetime.
I'm curious to see how the first day will be.

No Name

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
That's odd. Right now, Chevrolet is sponsoring the Tron coaster. I wonder what this other attraction could be.

As for Toy Story Land, I think it's a stupid idea. Especially since HKDL already has it. Let it be unique and a draw to HDKL. Although they don't seem to give a care about that place anymore.

Two completely different markets

BrerJon

Apparently, word got back to Bob that he was looking bad, eve by his standards:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/15/media/disney-crisis-bob-iger/index.html?section=money_topstories

It was striking to me that it took Disney several days to respond to the Pulse shootings, and even then it was vague corporate speak, whereas within minutes of today's sad news they'd issued a heartfelt condolence statement that came across like being from actual humans. I wonder if they've learned a lesson this week that perhaps staying silent for fear of lawyers isn't always the most human thing to do.

Mike S

That's odd. Right now, Chevrolet is sponsoring the Tron coaster. I wonder what this other attraction could be.

As for Toy Story Land, I think it's a stupid idea. Especially since HKDL already has it. Let it be unique and a draw to HDKL. Although they don't seem to give a care about that place anymore.
I think Mystic Manor is more of a draw than TSL would ever be lol. I don't really get why Disney feels the need to put a land like this everywhere they can. Most likely out of laziness. Who wants to bet Shanghai's will be like the one in DHS. Just like how we share SDMT.

BrerJon

I don't really get why Disney feels the need to put a land like this everywhere they can. Most likely out of laziness. Who wants to bet Shanghai's will be like the one in DHS. Just like how we share SDMT.

Toy Story Lands are super cheap. All the rides are off-the-shelf, all the theming is big lumps of plastic, so cheap and easy to produce - no rockwork, carvings or craftings needed, and they absorb the stroller crowd more than a fire sale on Elsa dresses, so are good for keeping families happy. It's a quick win to add one, which is why they crop up everywhere.

No Name

They just cut the rope

I love how Bob Iger cut the ribbon differently than the two Chinese men. The Chinese guys scrunched it up, but Bob let it hang. I gotta rewatch the clip to see who won the cutting race!

I like the idea of a park opening ceremony being like that of an Olympics, with abstract music, dance and art performances, rather than just a long commercial for IP.

Yeah I like that too. There were characters at the end but I found it to be a nice balance. Gotta love that they chose Duffy to lead the characters and people down the stairs...
Two completely different markets

HKDL's attendance is about 40% mainlanders. The distance between these two resorts is only about a third of the distance between DL and WDW. They are definitely close and they definitely share from the same market.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see SDL affect HKDL's attendance.

BrerJon

I wonder if it may actually help Hong Kong. By raising awareness of Disney as a brand and destination, many more visitors to Hong Kong who might otherwise have skipped it may make the trip, especially if word gets round that instead of 3 hours, the lines are only 30 minutes in Hong Kong.

VJ

"To all who come to this happy place: welcome. Shanghai Disneyland is your land. Here you leave today and discover imaginative worlds of fantasy, romance, and adventure that ignite the magical dreams within all of us. Shanghai Disneyland is authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese. It was created for everyone, bringing to life timeless characters and stories in a magical place that will be a source of joy, inspiration and memories for generations to come." - Bob Iger, June 16, 2016

No Name

Who wants to bet Shanghai's will be like the one in DHS.

I'm not sure whther you're joking or serious. But, not me, because our Spirited friend informed us that the land will have two rides called Slinky Dog Spin and Rex's Racers.

I've heard of Slinky Dog Spin before. Hmm, wonder where. Oh, in Hong Kong and Paris! I've never heard of Rex's Racers, so there's some hope. But I've heard of the ride called RC Racers, and whether Spirit made a mistake or the name is different, I bet that's what SDL is getting.

I agree that TSL isn't really a draw. But I think both parks should try to be different, for the sake of being unique, especially considering their proximity. Toy Story Land is cheap but I really don't see the point, especially in a park with plenty of other spinner rides.

I wonder if it may actually help Hong Kong. By raising awareness of Disney as a brand and destination, many more visitors to Hong Kong who might otherwise have skipped it may make the trip, especially if word gets round that instead of 3 hours, the lines are only 30 minutes in Hong Kong.

True, it could have that effect. I think SDL will wind up stealing more people than bringing. But what you said would certainly be a positive.

brb1006

I love how Bob Iger cut the ribbon differently than the two Chinese men. The Chinese guys scrunched it up, but Bob let it hang. I gotta rewatch the clip to see who won the cutting race!

Yeah I like that too. There were characters at the end but I found it to be a nice balance. Gotta love that they chose Duffy to lead the characters and people down the stairs...

HKDL's attendance is about 40% mainlanders. The distance between these two resorts is only about a third of the distance between DL and WDW. They are definitely close and they definitely share from the same market.

Duffy is still popular in Asia though but the results for Mainland China... we will have to wait.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Celebration Cafe, which you listed as one of the food places in Toy Story Land back a few years ago, is actually open and serving food. Though it's not themed to Toy Story at all, and I don't know if that plans to change.

View attachment 146134

I hope they at least change something, because nothing in that picture invokes the feeling of a celebration. Except for the fact that celebrations usually look temporary...

Yes. I am aware of it and have commented. It can easily be reskinned and likely will be.

WDW1974

Original Poster

WDW1974

Original Poster
I made it! Narrowly avoided getting stranded in Guangzhou for an extra 24 hours.

Boy has Disney put in a lot of crowd control efforts. You know that giant patch of earth sitting outside of the park behind roaring Rapids? It's a giant holding area with sod and various waiting zones. Park media was scanned first. Cast hold guests in groups of roughly 40 in the lines to prevent everyone from constantly pushing forward.

Starbucks is pretty awesome in Disneytown. Never encountered one so open and obviously aimed for serious crowds

Enjoy!!! And we expect a full and detailed report ... also look for Tom Bricker. You can't miss him!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom