A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Michael Eisner served as Disney CEO for 21 years, beginning in 1984. Many who closely follow corporate Disney divide Eisner's tenure into 2 phases: financial and creative success during the first 10 years followed by increasing failures after that.

Some point to the 1994 death of Disney President and Eisner's righthand man, Frank Wells, as the turning point. Regardless of cause, Eisner's later years seem to have been cursed.

Iger became CEO in 2005. Is this mythical 10-year curse beginning to infect Disney's current CEO Bob Iger?

Consider:
  1. Iger squashes a February 2015 story questioning Disney's big investment in Shanghai Disneyland.
  2. Careless words from Iger during an August 2015 earnings call causes Disney stock to plummet 10% in overnight trading amid concerns of declining ESPN subscribers.
  3. Iger publicly attacks stock analyst Rich Greenfield on Bloomberg TV in December 2015 for predicting Disney stock will fall to $90 per share.
  4. Disney stock drops below $90 per share on February 10, 2016.
  5. Even after an additional investment of $800 million, rumors swirl in February 2016 that Iger's pet project, Shanghai Disneyland, continues to suffer cost overruns and project delays.
  6. For the first time in years, Disney’s May 2016 earnings fail to meet Wall Street expectations.
  7. Iger lashes out at Democratic Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders after Sanders' May 24 comments that Disneyland employees should be paid a liveable wage.
  8. Almost at the same instant, Iger is strangely silent when the CEO of Disney's chief amusement park competitor in China throws the gauntlet at Disney, suggesting that someone is muzzling Iger.
  9. Disney bans an LA Times reporter from the Frozen Live premier, allegedly for reporting Wang Jianlin's comments.
Is Iger beginning to unravel?

I don't know if there's a 10-year curse. I can look at Michael's second decade and see films like The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch (won't even talk Pixar films) ... I can see the creation of Disney Cruise Line and the explosive growth of Disney Theatrical ... I can see the opening of DAK ... and TDS ... I can see the building of BB ... and resorts like BW and CS and DAK Lodge and Grand Californian etc etc. ... Sure, there were problems. Major ones near the end with animation and some huge ones with P&R too. But there was so much good still in the darkest period.

I'm sure lovers of The Force Awakens and Civil War would use those as examples of how Iger is doing an amazing job as CEO.

But there's no doubt that Bob's ego is running the show and, to use your comparison, when Michael's ego was allowed to run things unchecked a lot of bad things happened. And it sure looks like the same is happening now.

I'm not sure if it's a 10-year thing. But I do think companies need fresh eyes, especially creative ones, regularly. And Disney does the opposite, no matter what division you're talking about. They shift deck chairs. That's all that it is. And very little real change happens.

And realize that if things had gone the way they were supposed to, Bob would already have his office cleared and we would have known his replacement either late last year or very early in 2016. But no ... we have two more years of this.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Think of it this way, there is a lot of negative talk about Iger here but in the mainstream media and financial worlds he was virtually flawless. Wall Street loved him and he got a lot of positive PR from the major acquisitions and direction of the company. Outside of point #1 in @ParentsOf4 list (which is still mostly just talked about here) these are all hits he has taken in the mainstream media. His image and possibly his legacy could actually be permanently damaged by some of this stuff. I'm sure he couldn't care less about a few fanboy voices on an online forum being negative, but these events have really hit home for him. It's not shocking he's beginning to unravel.

The STOCK is doing fine and that's what Wall St cares about, The businesses which support the stock are not doing well at all with the sole exception of the studios business which is the smallest contributor overall to TWDC revenues, And the only reason the STOCK is doing well is the BILLIONS that Iger and company are pouring into share repurchases.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Think of it this way, there is a lot of negative talk about Iger here but in the mainstream media and financial worlds he was virtually flawless. Wall Street loved him and he got a lot of positive PR from the major acquisitions and direction of the company. Outside of point #1 in @ParentsOf4 list (which is still mostly just talked about here) these are all hits he has taken in the mainstream media. His image and possibly his legacy could actually be permanently damaged by some of this stuff. I'm sure he couldn't care less about a few fanboy voices on an online forum being negative, but these events have really hit home for him. It's not shocking he's beginning to unravel.

What Wall Street likes doesn't mean a damn thing for real people or even the long term health of a corporation like TWDC. As a matter of fact, if Wall Street likes something, you should run in the other direction as a matter of course. ... The media isn't what it once was and Bob controls a great deal of it. That is why he feels the need to remove any dissenting views (like No. 1 on Parents list, which got a lot of play behind the scenes in very powerful circles).

I hope his image and legacy are damaged. I think he is a lousy human being and has been an awful custodian of TWDC beyond building temporary shareholder value by acquiring IP because he had no faith in his ability to create it. The man deserves a closer look, but when he gets it ... he gets angry if people write what they see, observe or know. So, he punished Hugo last night. Poor guy. Turns out my favorite Olaf wasn't even performing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
From your lips to God's ears. Depp is one of the most overpaid, overrated actors in the world.

I agree with you a lot of the time, but not here. I think Depp is a wonderful talent with a wide range (as seen by the many varied roles he has played). And from a Disney PoV, he created a Pirates franchise for them with Captain Jack Sparrow (I should have listed this series above as one of the good things coming out of MDE's final years at Disney). I have never seen a film of his that I absolutely couldn't stand and there's very few actors I can say that of.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Despite the panning it got from critics, I agree. It was more fun than the first one and like Jungle Book, dazzling in crisp 3D. It isn't as good as Jungle Book however and it's faltering at the B.O. so far this weekend. It might be Disney's big miss for the year.

I liked the original quite a bit. I keep being told how strange that must be ... but it did make over a billion dollars back when that was still a lot of money! I think it's a little early to talk holiday weekend box office when it isn't even night on the east coast on Friday yet! I did see predictions in the low 40s (millions) range for the weekend, while 90 for the latest X-Men film (do they release three of them a year or does it just seem like it?) I have no idea what it will make. I don't see it being a huge hit like many other films (like Jungle Book, Civil War or Finding Dory), but part of that is a crowded marketplace. It seems like Disney is releasing a new $200-million-plus tent pole every other week now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
From the "Move Along, Nothing To See Here ... Everything is Fine" Department:

As I just saw (literally) my first local WDW Summer Awakens spot on the ABC affiliate in Miami (WPLG-Ch. 10), which had lots of fine print under the offerings that basically said 'Not necessarily open when you come ... this summer!', I was reading a note a friend sent earlier today.

MK CM blockouts for today were lifted at last minute (meaning within the last 24 hours).

Back to the commercial, which advertised 4-day FL resident tickets good all summer long now (except for July 1st-4th), I couldn't help but notice the $59 a day price and was thinking ''I'm really not sure WDW parks are even worth that at all, except maybe DAK ... and who in their right mind wants to visit in summer?"

Those kind of pronouncements from Burbank merit THIS

GiveMeTheMusic

I agree with you a lot of the time, but not here. I think Depp is a wonderful talent with a wide range (as seen by the many varied roles he has played). And from a Disney PoV, he created a Pirates franchise for them with Captain Jack Sparrow (I should have listed this series above as one of the good things coming out of MDE's final years at Disney). I have never seen a film of his that I absolutely couldn't stand and there's very few actors I can say that of.

Depp was definitely a joy as Sparrow, but the character has become stale and played out. He brings nothing new to the table in the sequels. Since Pirates, many of his roles have ranged from bizarre and misbegotten (Sweeney Todd) to weirdly reminiscent of Sparrow (Alice) to unwatchable (Mordecai). He doesn't seem to have expended the kind of effort that made him famous in the first place in some time. As a result, my Depp expectations (DEPPECTATIONS, if you will) have become terminally low.

I liked the original quite a bit. I keep being told how strange that must be ... but it did make over a billion dollars back when that was still a lot of money! I think it's a little early to talk holiday weekend box office when it isn't even night on the east coast on Friday yet! I did see predictions in the low 40s (millions) range for the weekend, while 90 for the latest X-Men film (do they release three of them a year or does it just seem like it?) I have no idea what it will make. I don't see it being a huge hit like many other films (like Jungle Book, Civil War or Finding Dory), but part of that is a crowded marketplace. It seems like Disney is releasing a new $200-million-plus tent pole every other week now.

Deadline was optimistic yesterday, projecting $60M+ for Alice. After last night's dismal previews numbers and today's sales so far, they've revised down to $40M. Not bulletproof estimation by any stretch of the imagination, but Apocalypse is the clear winner for the weekend. I think Disney would have been better served releasing Alice on a weekend with no other major competition, but I guess scheduling is hard when you're releasing one or two tentpoles a month.

VJ

And from a Disney PoV, he created a Pirates franchise for them with Captain Jack Sparrow (I should have listed this series above as one of the good things coming out of MDE's final years at Disney).
Pirates is pretty much my favorite movie series ever. Pretty excited for Pirates 5, to be honest.

Nubs70

Depp was definitely a joy as Sparrow, but the character has become stale and played out. He brings nothing new to the table in the sequels. Since Pirates, many of his roles have ranged from bizarre and misbegotten (Sweeney Todd) to weirdly reminiscent of Sparrow (Alice) to unwatchable (Mordecai). He doesn't seem to have expended the kind of effort that made him famous in the first place in some time. As a result, my Depp expectations (DEPPECTATIONS, if you will) have become terminally low.

Deadline was optimistic yesterday, projecting $60M+ for Alice. After last night's dismal previews numbers and today's sales so far, they've revised down to $40M. Not bulletproof estimation by any stretch of the imagination, but Apocalypse is the clear winner for the weekend. I think Disney would have been better served releasing Alice on a weekend with no other major competition, but I guess scheduling is hard when you're releasing one or two tentpoles a month.
Thought Depp was quite good in Black Mass

PhotoDave219

Wonder how the Disney brass is taking the Johnny Depp domestic abuse accusations on this Friday afternoon.

TMZ has a photo out of Ms. Heard following her altercation with Mr. Depp.

Uhhhhhhh...... He's screwed.

PhotoDave219

I loved his take on Hunter S Thompson in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas .....

Quinnmac000

You guys are blowing up this Johnny Depp thing. Hollywood men are untouchable from Byran Singer, Woody Allen, even the Rihanna situation didn't hurt Chris brown as much as people thought it would. For the next few months people will be like poor Amber Heard. Johnny Bad but then next year totally forget about it.

PhotoDave219

You guys are blowing up this Johnny Depp thing. Hollywood men are untouchable from Byran Singer, Woody Allen, even the Rihanna situation didn't hurt Chris brown as much as people thought it would. For the next few months people will be like poor Amber Heard. Johnny Bad but then next year totally forget about it.

0527-amber-heard-injury-tmz-3.jpg

TLtron

0527-amber-heard-injury-tmz-3.jpg
This sorta puts Disney on the spot, even though none of it is their fault. Once this story hits full-force (and it will), do they keep Johnny's likeness and voice in POTC attractions after booting Cosby's statue from DHS last year? Do they just ride the storm out? What message will it send either way? My brain is too simple to be able to make big decisions like this...so I pity those in charge who'll have to in due time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom