A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Okay, is it just me or is no one else that impressed with Shanghai? Yes, Pirates and Tron looks amazing but I get the feeling that the sum is not equal to the parts over there...

Hard to tell, If the REST of the park is up to the PoTC and TRON standards it will be an AMAZING park but with limited information need to wait a bit still

Absimilliard

Because Donkey Kong will be the family coaster for Nintendo and Universal was very different when WWoHP was first designed before Comcast came in. Also Nintendo would not have been blown away by the plans for a rethemed Nuthouse coaster.

To which I reply back that Warner Bros. allowed Universal to install brand roller coasters from Vekoma and Mack in the Hogswart sections at USJ and USH. We shall see if I am right, but I will not discount the possibility.

ProfSavage

Hard to tell, If the REST of the park is up to the PoTC and TRON standards it will be an AMAZING park but with limited information need to wait a bit still

True. And maybe the video and the pictures aren't all that great from what I've seen. Like the Soarin' queue looks like an obvious illusion, and there's nothing to be seen from River Rapids yet or a full walkthrough of the castle. Crystal Grotto looks okay, but that isn't my bag.

I think, because Iger and a lot on these boards and everywhere else had been hyping up Shanghai for so long, I was expecting... more. Not that I had expectations high to begin with. Just saying.

Mouse Trap

IF I was your buddy's boss I'd make sure that he was unemployable in that field for even TELLING you what he was doing. because with a little effort he can be targeted because we know he knows YOU. There is a reason a certain three letter agency in Langley VA had a sign that said 'National Highway Administration' out front.

Yes, yes... target the unnamed Disney intern and his buddy posting on a fan forum. That will show those filthy Americans! Are we being serious?

Want to find a few people who work in Global Intelligence for Disney? Check LinkedIn, it's no secret.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
True. And maybe the video and the pictures aren't all that great from what I've seen. Like the Soarin' queue looks like an obvious illusion, and there's nothing to be seen from River Rapids yet or a full walkthrough of the castle. Crystal Grotto looks okay, but that isn't my bag.

I think, because Iger and a lot on these boards and everywhere else had been hyping up Shanghai for so long, I was expecting... more. Not that I had expectations high to begin with. Just saying.

Agree - but the good thing at least is the Chinese Government is FORCING him to deliver what was promised so at least the Chinese people are probably getting an excellent Disney experience unlike the value engineered crap we've been fed for the last 10 years or so.

hpyhnt 1000

The good news is that the turnaround in Anaheim was breathtakingly fast. They brought in Matt Ouimet from the Cruise Line in October, 2003, calendar year 2004 was nothing but rehabs and paint, and by May, 2005 when the 50th Anniversary kicked off Disneyland had regained its sparkle and magic.

This why a lot of us still cling to hope, magic and pixie dust. There are problems, yes, but almost all of them can all be turned around, literally, within a few months. It's just a matter of will on Disney's part.

hopemax

Note that Matt Ouimet was kicked to the curb by Iger and Company and he's making huge improvements over at Cedar Fair (who as a percentage of revenue are reinvesting more into their business than Disney who is STILL spending the least expressed as a percentage of revenue of any theme park company in the US) Sends a great message to other employees 'save our collective butt and get fired'. Oh well no good deed goes unpunished.

And a lot of the DL turnaround credit was shared by Greg Emmer, who served as Matt Ouimet's #2, and head of Operations. He abruptly retired in 2008. He was one of the Disney lifers, who started his career with Disney as a ride operator for the Matterhorn in 1968. He was part of the WDW opening team (Transportation), and worked in various WDW positions for the next three decades, he was VP for the MK from 1993-2000, and WDW OPs from 2000-until he went to DL in 2003.

The people with the experience to "right the ship," have all been put out to pasture. But it doesn't matter anyway, the only "righting" management sees is the need for more IP.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, yes... target the unnamed Disney intern and his buddy posting on a fan forum. That will show those filthy Americans! Are we being serious?

Want to find a few people who work in Global Intelligence for Disney? Check LinkedIn, it's no secret.

If you even have to ask why you do not understand, But I'll explain it for you all the biggest intelligence leaks in US history up to including Snowden involved young very low level people as they are easy to compromise and no one is watching them as they watch higher level people, And I'd posit that those who put themselves on LinkedIn are not very smart because they just painted a giant target on themselves.

When I was at the park early April, I was selected once for "random screening". It was pretty embarrassing that I was the one telling the security team how to do a proper search...

I agree. We've been about 7 times in the last year or so. The bag check guy at mk JUST caught the pepper spray I keep on my keychain. I certainly had never thought of it being there, it's just always with my keys, and alllllll the other "security" people missed it too. Not that pepper spray is super scary, but it made me wonder what all makes it past them. I was very grateful for that cast member who was doing their job thoroughly. I also realize that most people who want to really attack, might not be going through the lines with all us. I try not to think about it and just trust.

hopemax

This why a lot of us still cling to hope, magic and pixie dust. There are problems, yes, but almost all of them can all be turned around, literally, within a few months. It's just a matter of will on Disney's part.

Who will lead it? Who in the company is qualified, capable and believes in that goal? Without that, nothing changes. There is no, "Wake a sleeping dragon, and just watch out." The dirty little secret is the dragons died out years ago. This is the real crime of all the management philosophies of the last 20 years. THIS is what layers upon layers of current executives believe, have been trained in and rewarded for. NOT the old Disney way. Those people moved on years ago, or are retired, or nearing retirement.

gmajew

Premium Member
F

The good news is that the turnaround in Anaheim was breathtakingly fast. They brought in Matt Ouimet from the Cruise Line in October, 2003, calendar year 2004 was nothing but rehabs and paint, and by May, 2005 when the 50th Anniversary kicked off Disneyland had regained its sparkle and magic.

Well we have been getting the paint lately....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom