A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I really hope not. It is a really good idea on a lot of levels. I just don't get where people keep yelling at the Academy to change and get with the times, then flip the hell out when they want to try something new. The Best Picture category has always been problematic, particularly when viewed historically - there is room for more than one film to be recognized from a calendar year.

I disagree. Yes, the academy has had difficulty with the idea that they don't actually choose the same movie that the general public does for best picture, but there's several issues with doing a most popular category.

Does being in the most popular disqualify it for best picture? In the rules of the category itself? In the eyes of the academy voters who may choose one or another based on whether they're in both?

I understand that the Oscars have at times felt out of touch with the general public, however they've already added more members and diversity to help rectify that. This just seems to be a knee-jerk reaction when they don't vote for Black Panther or Infinity War for best picture.

There's plenty of other awards shows that feature popular categories but they're not as highly regarded as the Oscars still are.

Perhaps they should just take 20% of the vote from the general public on an official site and add that to the final voting for best picture.

Princess Leia

I disagree. Yes, the academy has had difficulty with the idea that they don't actually choose the same movie that the general public does for best picture, but there's several issues with doing a most popular category.

Does being in the most popular disqualify it for best picture? In the rules of the category itself? In the eyes of the academy voters who may choose one or another based on whether they're in both?

I understand that the Oscars have at times felt out of touch with the general public, however they've already added more members and diversity to help rectify that. This just seems to be a knee-jerk reaction when they don't vote for Black Panther or Infinity War for best picture.

There's plenty of other awards shows that feature popular categories but they're not as highly regarded as the Oscars still are.

Perhaps they should just take 20% of the vote from the general public on an official site and add that to the final voting for best picture.
From what I read, the Academy president wants this category to feature movies like Crazy Rich Asians and A Quiet Place, not massive blockbusters a la Marvel.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Apparently there's a rumor that Movie It Shake It will close in November and be replaced by a new show dedicated to Mickey's 90th Birthday. While it's still a rumor, it's been getting some buzz lately.

Where did you hear that?

I've checked all the blogs I normally check and not one has mentioned it... so, there definitely is no "buzz" about it.

Nj4mwc

I’ve read of people quitting their professional careers to come down and work housekeeping. There is a certain point where it isn’t a good idea
That’s insane, I do have plans to move to the Orlando area when I retire from the military but I have four years still do so my research regarding work, schools, where to live etc but no where in my plans is work at the parks/resorts. I want to be able to head to the beach year round, hit up the parks, enjoy a lower cost of living than the North East but damn would not ever consider housekeeping if it meant leaving a professional career

Sharon&Susan

Honestly... that would be kinda cool. Mickey through the years. Not fitting in Tomorrowland, but...
What if he’s operating a transformer of himself for the finale?
3B748A2D-F661-4230-AD8E-CC53CE67F3AE.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That’s insane, I do have plans to move to the Orlando area when I retire from the military but I have four years still do so my research regarding work, schools, where to live etc but no where in my plans is work at the parks/resorts. I want to be able to head to the beach year round, hit up the parks, enjoy a lower cost of living than the North East but damn would not ever consider housekeeping if it meant leaving a professional career

Ummm... so are you going to get me some extra towels or not?

TOCPE82

Apparently there's a rumor that Movie It Shake It will close in November and be replaced by a new show dedicated to Mickey's 90th Birthday. While it's still a rumor, it's been getting some buzz lately.
Thank God. I can't stand that abomination and its loud music pointlessly going through Main Street multiple times a day.

This is my old man yells at cloud moment.

brb1006

Thank God. I can't stand that abomination and its loud *** music pointlessly going through Main Street multiple times a day.

This is my old man yells at cloud moment.
Remember when MK only had one parade that ran twice a day before Move It Shake It existed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom