A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Bairstow

In retrospect, it would have been really cool if the first minute or so of El Rio Del Tiempo was twice as long. Like the similar section on the Jungle Cruise, there's something uniquely wonderful and "Disney" about presenting a flooded temple to guests with the intent not to scare them, but simply to have them share in the experience of being in a forgotten sacred space.

the.dreamfinder

In retrospect, it would have been really cool if the first minute or so of El Rio Del Tiempo was twice as long. Like the similar section on the Jungle Cruise, there's something uniquely wonderful and "Disney" about presenting a flooded temple to guests with the intent not to scare them, but simply to have them share in the experience of being in a forgotten sacred space.
I love Disney spookiness like that or the pre-mist PotC cave and the Jungle Cruise temple.

That’s something which Navi’i River Journey could have used.

the.dreamfinder

Ah, another generation of kids gets to be scarred for life, by both the animated AND the live action movies.
You guys clearly haven’t seen what they did for the stage musical in London!
a_scene_from_pinocchio_-_gran_teatro_marionette_di_stromboli_-_on_the_right_stromboli_puppet_gershwyn_eustache_jnr_stromboli._image_by_manuel_harlan.jpg

1535939829745.png

06pinocchio-3-articleLarge.jpg

FigmentJedi

So the human characters are all giant puppets and all the puppets are humans?
That's kind of genius.
It also plays up a "The tree Pinocchio's wood came from was itself enchanted" angle and upgrades Honest John to main villain. Like he's not just out to make a buck off of Pinocchio, but he's after Pinocchio specifically because he cut down the tree and wants to snuff out that remaining bit of its magic.

brb1006

It also plays up a "The tree Pinocchio's wood came from was itself enchanted" angle and upgrades Honest John to main villain. Like he's not just out to make a buck off of Pinocchio, but he's after Pinocchio specifically because he cut down the tree and wants to snuff out that remaining bit of its magic.
I need to see a photo of him in the stage show.

lazyboy97o

Since gritty reboots are the thing to do, they should just do a very direct adaptation of The Adventures of Pinocchio. I’m sure audiences would love the introduction of “Jiminy” Cricket immediately followed by Pinocchio murdering him.

brb1006

Since gritty reboots are the thing to do, they should just do a very direct adaptation of The Adventures of Pinocchio. I’m sure audiences would love the introduction of “Jiminy” Cricket immediately followed by Pinocchio murdering him.
Let's hope Disney does a better job translating a live-action Pinocchio and hopefully won't turn out like the 1996 movie.
Adventures_of_pinocchio_ver1.jpg

MPW-21659

Pinocchio's puppet designed scared the heck out of me as a kid!

pwnbeaver

Honestly, I see China implementing this at the park (if people wait patiently in line, or if they litter).

It's very clear Disney did no research before going to the mainland. I live there.

There is no such thing as patiently waiting in line in China. Lines are just blobs of people pushing forward. You want to see complete disdain for rules? Watch videos of driving in China. Not a single person follows the rules of the road, even though they have tests based on them. The police encourage this.

A lot of this comes from the older generations and will die out within thirty years, but this is China. It isn't the same kind of place as the USA. You can't treat them the same way.

brb1006

You're welcome!

Honestly, I see China implementing this at the park (if people wait patiently in line, or if they litter), so I'm curious to see what Disney's response will be. Sure, we're all tracked via MagicBand or MDE anyways, but we're not barred from going into Flight of Passage or Be Our Guest from doing something we're not supposed to do.
No wonder Disney at first didn't want to build a park in Mainland China. After reports of guest behavior at Shanghai I can understand now.

lazyboy97o

No wonder Disney at first didn't want to build a park in Mainland China. After reports of guest behavior at Shanghai I can understand now.
They wanted the Disney Channel there first. They settled for an amusement park.
Disney had been pursuing Shanghai Disneyland for about two decades by the time the park opened. Disneyland Asia was all about trying to build Shanghai Disneyland but it got saddled into being Hong Kong Disneyland because it was an “open” search and the offer was too good to pass up.

the.dreamfinder

Disney had been pursuing Shanghai Disneyland for about two decades by the time the park opened. Disneyland Asia was all about trying to build Shanghai Disneyland but it got saddled into being Hong Kong Disneyland because it was an “open” search and the offer was too good to pass up.
My comment was in reference to the late Eisner/early Iger period where Eisner refused to make a deal because the central government rejected the idea of a Mainland China Disney Channel, which would help to better establish Disney pre opening. The Shanghai Disney agreement got done for many reasons and Bob dropping the demand for a Disney Channel there sealed the deal.

NearTheEars

Did anyone else see that Mr. Mongello has released a new podcast episode offering advice to people interested in moving to the Orlando area to live by WDW? I generally like Lou, and listen to many of his history-based episodes. But this one seems a little dangerous to me. I’m not sure we need to be encouraging crazy Disney fans to chase their lifestyler dreams (wow, haven’t seen or typed that word in a while). I think he means well, but after following his Facebook group, there’s a lot of people on there that worship the guy like he’s a huge celebrity. It’s just weird.

Obviously, though, adults can make whatever decision they want about where they want to live and work.
Hopefully it works out.

drizgirl

Did anyone else see that Mr. Mongello has released a new podcast episode offering advice to people interested in moving to the Orlando area to live by WDW? I generally like Lou, and listen to many of his history-based episodes. But this one seems a little dangerous to me. I’m not sure we need to be encouraging crazy Disney fans to chase their lifestyler dreams (wow, haven’t seen or typed that word in a while). I think he means well, but after following his Facebook group, there’s a lot of people on there that worship the guy like he’s a huge celebrity. It’s just weird.

Obviously, though, adults can make whatever decision they want about where they want to live and work.
Hopefully it works out.
Worried there might be a bunch of "NearTheEars" imposters?

Last edited:

wishiwere@wdw

Hopefully it works out.
Crazy stuff. I agree that it’s a slippery slope and certainly a new direction for him. Hope it works out as well. That being said, somebody needs to buy all of these houses being built along Avalon and 429 so every little bit helps lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom