A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

doctornick

And I don't know how anyone can make this statement and not realize that DISNEY, LUCASFILM, and everyone involved in the new trilogy created these questions, made a whole movie about them called TFA, and reinforced this in interview after interview, press conference after press conference, panel after panel, teasing over and over about the significance of Rey's parentage and Snoke's backstory.

You are entitled to your interpretation of what the company promoted, but I never got the slightest sense that Disney/Lucasfilm was pushing either of those questions -- it was all fan based theories and debate. I'm firmly in the camp that thinks that it is silly for people to be upset by not getting answers (or the "right" answers) to questions they were never promised to get answered.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You are entitled to your interpretation of what the company promoted, but I never got the slightest sense that Disney/Lucasfilm was pushing either of those questions -- it was all fan based theories and debate. I'm firmly in the camp that thinks that it is silly for people to be upset by not getting answers (or the "right" answers) to questions they were never promised to get answered.
Driver may have revealed the biggest clue about her parentage while discussing Kylo's relationship to an unnamed character. "You have, also, the hidden identity of this princess who's hiding who she really is so she can survive and Kylo Ren and her hiding behind these artifices," he said. Could that "hidden princess" be Rey?

https://www.inverse.com/article/38922-star-wars-last-jedi-rey-leia-daisy-ridley-spoilers

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...-Skywalker-Luke-Leia-Palpatine-Snoke-Kylo-Ren

I can find even more if I search with dates going back to TFA...

They most certainly were "pushing" said questions.

The fact that the answer is "well, it don't matter" being a cop out and a let down, doesn't change that.

Being clever for the sake of cleverness, isn't clever.

AEfx

Then you probably never watched many celebration panels, interviews, press conferences, or anything else promoting TFA.

Not that they really needed to, since TFA did most of the leg work in the film itself, but it certainly was reinforced by everything said around it. If you want to put some of the blame on the media for it (I mean, everyone from CNN on down), that's cool - but Disney certainly didn't dissuade that, either.

To put it all on "the fans" just isn't accurate with the reality of what happened.

The_Jobu

Perhaps after getting sexually assaulted by Rose in TLJ...Finn has second thoughts about his sexuality?

What a TWIST!

And, talk about the inclusion this would bring to the Star Wars universe and their imposing patriarchy!

Kathleen will LOVE it!

archerfilmfestival-web-img_4330_-_h_2017.jpg

The virtue signaling was excessive, it was seriously distracting.

AEfx

She is turning the franchise into She-Ra.

You need to find a better comparison to make than "She-ra", because it actually goes against your entire point. In retrospect, it is considered by the animation community and the people who made it to be the superior show versus "He-man". And not just because of how groundbreaking it was to have a female action hero in a series, that's a whole other matter entirely.

Even the people that wrote the shows will point this out (I know some of them). While it didn't seem like it to us as kids because of how they staggered the final episodes, they had already concluded production on the final episodes of He-man before they began work on She-ra. That's why He-man guest starred in a handful of episodes, and why She-ra didn't ever show up on his (and was never acknowledged). It was much less of a rush job than He-man had been, and everyone making it was a lot more experienced in the format. It unquestionably was much better written and animated.

It's interesting that it is being brought up in a Star Wars conversation, because admittedly - the overall ongoing storyline definitely took some inspiration from it - I mean, She-ra's group were even called "Rebels". That said, that is part of what allowed it to tell much more complex and sophisticated stories versus what He-man generally did because it was much tougher to fit that in to the basic "Skeletor wants to take over Castle Greyskull, He-man must defend it" story lines.

This gave She-ra the responsibility for an entire world that was enslaved and/or kept under the thumb of a violent dictatorship, which combined with their growing experience at making the shows (as virtually all the same people went straight from working on He-man into She-ra) gave a lot more depth to the stories it was able to tell, and the characters had a lot more breathing room to really develop compelling stories of their own. It's really amazing what they were able to accomplish and the tales they were able to tell that had true shades of grey all over the emotional spectrum versus the black and white that He-man was almost held to.

You'll find that even among those boys that said they refused to watch it, most that revisit them as adults can't help but admit that some of best shows the character of He-man appeared in were the ones where he guest starred on She-ra (which, in truth, many boys did watch the show - they just wouldn't admit it - She-ra did just as well if not better than He-man in the ratings, and continued to run in syndication longer - the only reason it was cancelled to begin with was because the toy line was).

Aside from the fans, just objectively, She-ra is considered one of the best written and most complex children's shows of the era, particularly among those that were created to push toy lines. And again, that's completely not going into the cultural impact the show had - which is why today it is generally held in a lot more regard and remembered more fondly than He-man.

So while I don't necessarily disagree with all of your points about modern Star Wars, She-ra is really a terrible example to hold it up to. It really defeats the narrative you are trying to make.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You need to find a better comparison to make than "She-ra", because it actually goes against your entire point. In retrospect, it is considered by the animation community and the people who made it to be the superior show versus "He-man". And not just because of how groundbreaking it was to have a female action hero in a series, that's a whole other matter entirely.

Even the people that wrote the shows will point this out (I know some of them). While it didn't seem like it to us as kids because of how they staggered the final episodes, they had already concluded production on the final episodes of He-man before they began work on She-ra. That's why He-man guest starred in a handful of episodes, and why She-ra didn't ever show up on his (and was never acknowledged). It was much less of a rush job than He-man had been, and everyone making it was a lot more experienced in the format. It unquestionably was much better written and animated.

It's interesting that it is being brought up in a Star Wars conversation, because admittedly - the overall ongoing storyline definitely took some inspiration from it - I mean, She-ra's group were even called "Rebels". That said, that is part of what allowed it to tell much more complex and sophisticated stories versus what He-man generally did because it was much tougher to fit that in to the basic "Skeletor wants to take over Castle Greyskull, He-man must defend it" story lines.

This gave She-ra the responsibility for an entire world that was enslaved and/or kept under the thumb of a violent dictatorship, which combined with their growing experience at making the shows (as virtually all the same people went straight from working on He-man into She-ra) gave a lot more depth to the stories it was able to tell, and the characters had a lot more breathing room to really develop compelling stories of their own. It's really amazing what they were able to accomplish and the tales they were able to tell that had true shades of grey all over the emotional spectrum versus the black and white that He-man was almost held to.

You'll find that even among those boys that said they refused to watch it, most that revisit them as adults can't help but admit that some of best shows the character of He-man appeared in were the ones where he guest starred on She-ra (which, in truth, many boys did watch the show - they just wouldn't admit it - She-ra did just as well if not better than He-man in the ratings, and continued to run in syndication longer - the only reason it was cancelled to begin with was because the toy line was).

Aside from the fans, just objectively, She-ra is considered one of the best written and most complex children's shows of the era, particularly among those that were created to push toy lines. And again, that's completely not going into the cultural impact the show had - which is why today it is generally held in a lot more regard and remembered more fondly than He-man.

So while I don't necessarily disagree with all of your points about modern Star Wars, She-ra is really a terrible example to hold it up to. It really defeats the narrative you are trying to make.
I couldn't think of a better one. I did almost mention that the She-Ra cartoon was "better"...but, lets be honest, neither were very good.

What analogy would you make?

AEfx

I couldn't think of a better one. I did almost mention that the She-Ra cartoon was "better"...but, lets be honest, neither were very good.

What analogy would you make?

TLJ has just made such a mess of things that I just don't honestly think there is one.

I don't think that having Rey be a main character in the trilogy was a problem. And I thought Rogue One was a good film (which introduced a lot of new characters, just the main one happened to be female). The problem I have is with TLJ, which basically went off the rails in terms of validating so much of the previous criticism of how Disney is handling the franchise.

To be honest, I have a hard time thinking that there is some feminist agenda because while some want to see that in TLJ, the entire idea of "Reylo" just defies any of that. I don't think they have enough direction to have that agenda. It's like with that story line they are trying to appeal to what people thought women wanted decades ago.

rael ramone

In case the TLJ discussion is boring you, it appears John Skipper lied about having a substance abuse problem and it was a cover for sexual misconduct at ESPN.
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/...legedly-drinking-dan-lebatard-north-carolina/

This is potentially HUGE.

I don't think I've seen 'MeToo' in any of these cases reach the point where the 'enablers' were actually held accountable - only the assaulters & harassers. If in fact, this is what happened here, it very well be the first.

But if it was, why hide it? Why not just admit that they are holding him accountable for this? Liability, for one. Don't admit guilt if you can help it. But, there is another....

John Lasseter

If John Skipper is taking the fall for enabling the conduct at ESPN, who is going to take the fall for enabling Lasseter?

A Vanity Fair article on the matter mentions the 'what are we going to do about John' meeting, and 3 of the participants of said meeting.

Ed Catmull, Andrew Millstein......... and Zenia Mucha.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is potentially HUGE.

I don't think I've seen 'MeToo' in any of these cases reach the point where the 'enablers' were actually held accountable - only the assaulters & harassers. If in fact, this is what happened here, it very well be the first.

But if it was, why hide it? Why not just admit that they are holding him accountable for this? Liability, for one. Don't admit guilt if you can help it. But, there is another....

John Lasseter

If John Skipper is taking the fall for enabling the conduct at ESPN, who is going to take the fall for enabling Lasseter?

A Vanity Fair article on the matter mentions the 'what are we going to do about John' meeting, and 3 of the participants of said meeting.

Ed Catmull, Andrew Millstein......... and Zenia Mucha.

Millstein or Catmull will take the fall, Anything to protect iger

When looking at corporate power plays try to look at them through the lens of Game of Thrones, When you see a executive under attack look at who stands to gain by their downfall.

Last edited:

doctornick

Driver may have revealed the biggest clue about her parentage while discussing Kylo's relationship to an unnamed character. "You have, also, the hidden identity of this princess who's hiding who she really is so she can survive and Kylo Ren and her hiding behind these artifices," he said. Could that "hidden princess" be Rey?

Isn't that just the (not well known) backstory for The Force Awakens? That Leia is hiding her true identity as the daughter of Darth Vader?

Read both of those articles. Neither seems to be "pushing" anything -- it's actors answers questions. And answering them truthfully given how TLJ plays out. I mean, geez, the MTV interview with Daisy that is referenced in the Express article indicates exactly how her parentage plays out:

Daisy says: "I think two amazing thing about (Star Wars Episode) VII is that Finn and Rey don’t come from anywhere and they find a place, so it’s funny to me that people think it’s so important. I guess it is, but I don’t really think it is because regardless where you come from where you go is the thing.

"You can make a family and find people you love. So I think the progression Rey is making and the people she is meeting and the relationships she is making now are more important than where she comes from. But that’s just me.”

I don't think Disney/Lucasfilm ever actively discouraged any fan theories -- hell, they were more than happy to wink at the camera and continue discussions about the movies. But in practice, the new trilogy intentionally used misdirection and tried to subvert expectations in order to keep things fresh and different. Some people don't like that and it's understandable.

Last edited:

peter11435

https://www.inverse.com/article/38922-star-wars-last-jedi-rey-leia-daisy-ridley-spoilers

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...-Skywalker-Luke-Leia-Palpatine-Snoke-Kylo-Ren

I can find even more if I search with dates going back to TFA...

They most certainly were "pushing" said questions.

The fact that the answer is "well, it don't matter" being a cop out and a let down, doesn't change that.

Being clever for the sake of cleverness, isn't clever.
He was obviously talking about leia. Rey isn’t hiding who she really is, she is trying to discover who she really is.

britain

I'm going to be genuinely upset if Lando doesn't show up in Episode IX.

I think Billy Dee is getting too old, sadly. He had to drop out of Dancing with the Stars a few years ago due to declining physical ability. I don’t know to what extent. Now, could he be in a non-physically demanding role? Probably, but I don’t know if I want to see Lando so stationary.

AEfx

I think Billy Dee is getting too old, sadly. He had to drop out of Dancing with the Stars a few years ago due to declining physical ability. I don’t know to what extent. Now, could he be in a non-physically demanding role? Probably, but I don’t know if I want to see Lando so stationary.

There is a big difference between competitive ballroom dancing with people that could be his great-grandkids and acting in a film.

Especially with Carrie gone, I really think they need him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom