A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

njDizFan

I hear people are making all sorts of predictions about the UK attraction for EPCOT. Good to see some people are braver than others.

"Braver" huh....as I expected, princesses everywhere.

Back to SW, have heard lots of criticism of Galaxy's Edge from people inside and while I wish I could share, I can't. But one thing that was said to me was something I have been thinking about and that is how "dirty and grimy" the land will be. That might work in a third gate in the swamps. But it certainly will stand out in Anaheim ... in Walt's park.

Although this may be a great attraction(s), what an eyesore on Walt's park.

Oh, and as little regard as you might have for Toy Story Land, you might even want to temper that back a bit.

I didn't even think that was possible.

WDWTank

Agreed. Disney Animation has had an excellent run over the past decade and they've been doing it without much in the way of slam dunk pre-existing source material. We all look at Frozen as a "franchise" now, but the fact that Disney was able to *create* that franchise in the first place is the epitome of organic growth.

Also, as I've mentioned in some other threads, Marvel might have been an acquisition, but its transformation into a movie juggernaut was very clearly under the Disney watch. It's easy to go back and look at Marvel as simple a mass addition to the Disney IP portfolio that could be "plug and play", but that was hardly the case at the time of the acquisition. Remember that Disney's purchase didn't include any movie rights to the most popular Marvel IPs (e.g. Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four) and they were literally going off the success of only the first Iron Man movie. There's absolutely no one in Hollywood that would have reasonably told you 10 years ago that movies featuring Captain America and Thor would be consistently beating Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four movies in gross box office revenue (to the point where Sony needed Disney's Marvel unit to step back in to help the Spider-Man franchise, which would be like Disney outsourcing the production of Frozen 2 to Universal) while Guardians of the Galaxy (much less The Avengers) would turn into a cornerstone mega-franchise. Anyone telling you differently would be a liar.

To be sure, I would say that the Lucasfilm and Pixar acquisitions were much more "plug and play" by comparison where Disney's main objectives were to not screw them up. Pretty much every reasonable person knew that a simply competent Star Wars movie would be a runaway success when Disney acquired Lucasfilm. However, that definitely wasn't the case with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so Disney ought to get credit for its success (even if it was a matter of simply being smart enough to get out of the way of the Marvel creative leadership). If Disney sold off Marvel today, it would be worth exponentially more than what it had acquired it for in 2009.
Why can't they do theme parks like animation?

trainplane3

Makes me nostalgic for a simpler era like this ... yeah, I know, no FP, no Anna and Elsa, no timeshares, no ECVs, no Thor and Gamora, no Rey and Chewie etc etc. That's my Disney, not today's. Good thing TDR still exists (for how long?)

Don't know why people are insisting Moana is going into Tiki Room in FL. Also, some Brit blogger/personality credited this site with breaking the news that it was flying away and ... and ... then gave credit for the story to that bloke @marni1971?!?!? What do you have to do in 2017 to be properly credited for anything in the fan world?

First off, I cut out most of your post to make it easier to see what I'm responding to.

Man, hearing how great TDR is really makes me want to go. Between Gundam Front re-opening, having a Disney park "next door", and interesting food all around Tokyo just seals the deal with me. If they built a third gate that's a Epcot-ish clone, that'd seal the deal for me naming it the "best park ever without even being there". I'd assume they could run Epcot right.

And yep, "SOMEONE" (we know who it is) didn't read the whole thread again. One day they'll read right? @marni1971 you're in the same country as the kid right? Why don't you "visit" him for us :p . Who am I kidding, these Youtube bloggers are clickbait. Only two that I know of are decent and border on clickbait but their research and resource credits save them.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Can you elaborate any more on the state of grime that SW:GE will have? Like, the place will feel dirty and scummy...or it will literally leave you covered in crap?
They’re going to ‘cook’ your food using old pod racer engines.
c8f41d792fd866d62acec68f02ef498b

Tight walkways littered with stuff inspired by old cities like Casablanca, Tangiers and Jerusalem.
DSC_2921_2040w_2.jpg

I dunno. Maybe Star Wars is a terrible thematic fit for Disneyland because it doesn’t adhere to the design philosophies that undergird the park. :rolleyes:

WDWTank

DHS was a pleasant ghost town today with ToT being a walk on during most of our time there.
Went to 50s Prime Time for the first time and was quite disappointed in our server. The food was OK, but we didn't really get the full experience. He brought our food and we never saw him again until we got the check and clean plate stickers. I don't want to sound sexist, but I hope we get a "Mom" next time. This seems to be my luck as we also recently went to Whispering Canyon and had about the same experience. We watched everyone else around us having fun with awesome servers, and ours didn't seem like they wanted to be there. Oh, well. Luck of the draw I guess.
50's Prime time is truly one of the best restaurants in WDW not only for food, but for service. Definitely not a good first impression of that restaurant.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Again I see this argument and there's some good points, but like a lot of reading around here recently it's selective. Disneys classic animation division was suffering in the 80s, had a huge revival in the late 80's with Little Mermaid that lasted into the mid 90s but then fell away again. Disneys latest output in their classic animation division, and by that I mean Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootropolis and Moana have all been VERY well received and very popular. In fact, I'd argue they are in an era compariable only to the 1950s....there's a complete mismatch to how these films are loved, and performing to how the current era is being viewed on this forum.

Frozen was HUGE. People may not like it, but it can't be selectively brushed under the carpet as if it didn't happen.

Frozen was indeed huge and is loved by girls of all ages, Yet what does Disney do with it. Cardboard Olaf on a stick. They could use Frozen in the parks with no issues yet they refuse to and turn themselves inside out trying to Shoehorn MARVEL crap where it does not belong

Only OLC is spending the money to give Frozen the attraction it DESERVES.

WDWTank

They’re going to ‘cook’ your food using old pod racer engines.
c8f41d792fd866d62acec68f02ef498b

Tight walkways littered with stuff inspired by old cities like Casablanca, Tangiers and Jerusalem.
DSC_2921_2040w_2.jpg

I dunno. Maybe Star Wars is a terrible thematic fit for Disneyland because it doesn’t adhere to the design philosophies that undergird the park. :rolleyes:
Honestly, this looks Awesome. The best theme parks cannot be distinguished between fiction or reality
The inner consciousness of guests would not be aware of their surroundings :)

the.dreamfinder

So while we’re on the subject of SW:GE, how about the scale of the land? Haven’t been following ShesInLosAngeles video updates for a couple of months, so I decided to watch her lastest dispatches...

OH MY GOD, THIS LAND IS GOING TO BREAK DISNEYLAND!!

Even if you account for her perspective from the top of Mickey and Friends, this land is going to look over the park even more dramatically than I had feared. Sure they built a berm and planted pine trees, with more on the way, but SW:GE will be visible inside the park and guests will feel the difference in scale between Disneyland proper and it.

Edit: Have any locals been to DL since it was topped out?

shortstop

So while we’re on the subject of SW:GE, how about the scale of the land? Haven’t been following ShesInLosAngeles video updates for a couple of months, so I decided to watch her lastest dispatches...

Even if you account for her perspective from the top of Mickey and Friends, this land is going to look over the park even more dramatically than I had feared. Sure they built a berm and planted pine trees, with more on the way, but SW:GE will be visible inside the park and guests will feel the difference in scale between Disneyland proper and it.

The most guests will see of it is the tippy top of the rock spires. @TP2000 can you speak to this?

WDWTank

The sad thing about parodying Disney is that reality will always catch up with it. :(

TWDC is a barbaric horde of greedos intent to replace Disney parks with Disney parks (no typo) and thereby destroy what made them great. What is the current score?

We have Depp infestation in what was the world's greatest Pirates (and not DL!)
Upcharge events are creeping up from every direction faster than zombies at UNI's Halloween Horror fest.
DLP is blissfully devoid, mostly, of being unceremoniously dumped into giftshops after rides. Surely this will be rectified.
The movie park attraction celebrating Hollywood and classic movies is being replaced by the Disney property attraction (where have we heard this before)
Star Wars sprawl all over two parks (there may be no Iron Man in Verne's Nautilus yet, but there is a Darth Vader in his Hyperion!)
Speaking of Star crawl: Starbuckses popping up all over the place, replacing unique venues.
When I take full control of TWDC, everything will be restored back to a purposeful, non-advertisement state. Although I would keep Depp in POTC WDW only because all the other pirates go to jail, but Captain Jack Sparrow gets away with it all! It's a great example of balance without ruining the ride (hopefully they won't tip the scale!). :)

jaxonp

So what? You can see the Matterhorn from everywhere... we've survived that.

Travel Junkie

As of now it's actually not that bad. Not all of the spires have been constructed, but unless you are on the the top level of the Mark Twain, you can't see anything but the tops of the spires, which actually should blend in with Frontierland.

TrojanUSC

Frozen was indeed huge and is loved by girls of all ages, Yet what does Disney do with it. Cardboard Olaf on a stick. They could use Frozen in the parks with no issues yet they refuse to and turn themselves inside out trying to Shoehorn MARVEL crap where it does not belong

Only OLC is spending the money to give Frozen the attraction it DESERVES.

Frozen is also highly over-saturated. The show at DLR is basically running half-empty most of the time. The attraction in Florida is a hit, largely because there isn't any other worthwhile attractions, save Soarin' and Test Track, at Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom