A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

nevol

The current rumor round-up goes like:

Dragon Challenge becomes the Forbidden Forest E Ticket Dark Coaster.

T2 becomes Bourne Live Action Theater

Volcano Bay gets a hydromagnetic mammoth.

Shrek becomes Secret Life of Pets E Ticket Trackless AA filled dark ride.

Fear Factor Live becomes Ministry of Magic mega E Ticket dark ride.

KidZone becomes Super Nintendo World: Mushroom Kingdom (Multiple Attractions)

The remaining Lost Continent becomes The Island of Berk with an E Ticket dark ride and large scale puppet show.

Iron Legion mega E Ticket comes to Marvel Superhero Island

The plot beside Men in Black becomes Super Nintendo World: Hyrule Kingdom (Multiple Attractions)

All before 2021.

Well, TWDC should just get out of the Orlando market at this point.

the.dreamfinder

Amazon.com building online theme park that will crush WDW and bankrupt Disney corp confirmed.
You laugh, but Netflix will begin to produce its own features soon.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business...tent-gives-big-clue-theyre-headed-153590.html

Maybe Disney shouldn't be so reliant on third parties like Amazon, Toys R Us and Walmart when it comes to selling consumer products?

Of course, if you read the article, you'd see how mismanagement and greed drove a successful business into financial ruin.

bclane

You laugh, but Netflix will begin to produce its own features soon.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business...tent-gives-big-clue-theyre-headed-153590.html

Maybe Disney shouldn't be so reliant on third parties like Amazon, Toys R Us and Walmart when it comes to selling consumer products?

Of course, if you read the article, you'd see how mismanagement and greed drove a successful business into financial ruin.
My post was intended to brighten your day with humor (I see I failed miserably :cry: ) but in all seriousness, I think retailers like Toys R Us have been dead for a long time and just didn't realize it yet (kind of reminds me of a movie I once saw). I remember even when my kids where very young and I'd go into Toys R Us to see what I wanted and then buy it on Amazon.com because it was cheaper. I can't even remember the last time I was in a Toys R Us and I have like 15 kids to shop for every Christmas (kids of family, I only have two of my own). Disney creates content, Disney acquires content creators, Disney is a distributor and soon opening it's own streaming service, Disney is a travel destination and a travel provider, etc., etc. My hope is Disney's diversification shields it from problems like we see happening to some of these lessor companies. But yeah they are greedy and getting greedier apparently.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Remember Gargoyles? The entire existence of that show is based on Eisner rejecting the idea of buying Marvel in the 90s because he had full confidence that Disney could make up their own superhero universe. That whole thing in the second season where Goliath and Eliza are stuck on a seemingly endless global roadtrip running into a bunch of different characters? Those were all intended as set-ups for spinoff series that would expand the universe, but plans changed as Disney Television's priorities shifted increasingly towards tween sitcoms and cartoons revolving primarily around kids in school.

Which is a shame, that probably ended the golden age of Disney TV.

Where Cartoons were insanely detailed and had long standing plots and having a lasting appeal. (Ducktales, Gargoyles, Chip and Dale rescue Rangers, etc..)

Cesar R M

Yeah that's pretty much it.

HOP is basically about a male rabbit who wants to be in a band instead of a new Easter Bunny (The bunny is named EB) since his father is now a former Easter Bunny. EB leaves "Easter Island" and stays with this dude who's name I forgot and don't care who eventually becomes the new "Easter Bunny". Meanwhile EB's father sends in "The Pink Berets" (Who are the best characters of the film) track the bunny down and take him back home. There's more info to the film but it's pretty weird film.

Meanwhile The Secret Life Of Pets is basically what the film is.
H.O.P. really felt like illuminations's attempt to mimic Alvin and the Chipmunks style movies.
it was pretty awkward and with dirt jokes (Ie. E.B Jr crapping candy) and the saving grace was perhaps the drummer part and the characters being stupidly adorable. (specially the berets)

Cesar R M

That was an intentional short sighted decision made during the second half of the Eisner year. With the acquisition of these brands, Disney, both the company and the BRAND, have been hemmed into a corner, not unlike a multi brand car conglomerate like GM.

Think about it. General Motors was formed over time through the accumulation of successful car brands with the reasoning that a larger organization could help all of them design, manufacture and sell cars whilst focusing on particular verticals. Chevy was the everyman's brand. Pontiac was a sportier version of Chevy. Buick and Oldsmobile are a step up from the everyman brands, but still affordable. Cadillac was the car that the successful man graduated to over a lifetime of car ownership because of its status as the elite American automobile. I've chosen to leave out brands like Packard, Saturn and Hummer, but you get the idea.

What Iger has done with his BRANDed strategy is effectively the same. Bob didn't say, "Disney has been excluding boys from its audience, we ought to expand the tent." He instead bought brands like Pixar, largely general neutral, Marvel, strongly identified with young boys/men/comic book guys, and Star Wars, perceived to be male centric, but more gender neutral than most realize. Today's Disney can remain largely a young girl's brand under this arrangement. Wildly successful non-princess female characters like Doc McStuffins and Judy Hopps are the exception when it comes to what has been pushed under the Disney moniker in this period. Aside from Mickey and friends, the princesses are the first thing that comes to mind when you say Disney. During Walt's lifetime, the company made three "princess" movies, out of 19 features. The Lasseter/Catmull years at Feature Animation alone will yield at least six, roughly half of the studio's output. Disney Junior, except for a certain MD, features largely gender segregated programming. The Disney Channel is defined by its tween sitcoms. For a generation of children, Disney is a girl's brand.

The problem with using BRANDs for market segmentation, as practiced by GM and today's Disney, comes from change, both the ability to adapt to it and to grow beyond what you are traditionally known for to embrace new opportunities. If corporate brass decides "this is what Disney is" or "Marvel is for boy's first', the company severs the opportunity to change. GM's brands faired poorly as the fifties gave way to the sixties, followed by the seventies and eighties and so on. Many of GM's once iconic brands like Packard, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile are long gone because they got left behind, optimized for a bygone era. Rising gas prices and the higher quality foreign imports from Germany, Japan and Korea decimated GM and the Big Three's stranglehold on the American market. GM's response consisted of creating new brands like GEO and Saturn to appeal to the same people who used to buy Chevys, but found Toyotas and Hondas better suited to their needs. Only through decades of painful layoffs, ignoring promising ventures like NUMMI and EV1, a government bailout, bankruptcy and restructuring has GM become move adaptive to change.

Iger's Disney, and its choice selection of BRANDs, are optimized for today. The bets paid off very nicely for the company. However, success hides problems. Like you note, Disney is still painted into the same corner it was in 2005, a BRAND for young children, particularly girls. At present there is no incentive for Disney to expand to the place where it should be, a producer of entertainment for all ages and genders, because the BRANDs it controls effectively cover this, for now.

Eisner's Disney, by necessity and perspective, wanted to build a bigger tent for Disney. Disney needed to change and grow, and it did. At the height of the Eisner years, Disney was as big as it was in Walt's day. Even as things went south in the second half of his tenure, the
need to expand and strengthen Disney under that name, and everything that comes with it as a point of pride and ownership, remained.

Disney hasn't endured for almost 100 years as General Entertainment, nor will it.
Speaking of lasting..
I wonder how things will go with Mickey once the deadline again reaches to make Mickey a public event.
Will Disney lobby their way again?
Will Trump, Congress and other officials agree to make Mickey a national treasure and thus give perpetuity to Disney?

Cesar R M

The current rumor round-up goes like:

Dragon Challenge becomes the Forbidden Forest E Ticket Dark Coaster.

T2 becomes Bourne Live Action Theater

Volcano Bay gets a hydromagnetic mammoth.

Shrek becomes Secret Life of Pets E Ticket Trackless AA filled dark ride.

Fear Factor Live becomes Ministry of Magic mega E Ticket dark ride.

KidZone becomes Super Nintendo World: Mushroom Kingdom (Multiple Attractions)

The remaining Lost Continent becomes The Island of Berk with an E Ticket dark ride and large scale puppet show.

Iron Legion mega E Ticket comes to Marvel Superhero Island

The plot beside Men in Black becomes Super Nintendo World: Hyrule Kingdom (Multiple Attractions)

All before 2021.
dear god, they are going to add How to train your dragon stuff?

hokielutz

This thread seems to be as good a place to ask as any....

I haven't found info in my searches... but does anyone know if WDW has its Holiday TV special taping dates planned for Nov/December??

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wearing shorts or t-shirts doesn't make you slovenly dressed. It's your right to dress business casual at a theme park if you choose but if it's summer in FL you won't catch me in pants. I'm wearing shorts. I'd rather be called trash or slovenly than suffer from even more swamp a$$;)

Where did anyone equate shorts and a tee to slovenly, A decent tee and shorts are fine in a hot summer day.

Yet you have people walking around outside in pajamas/sweats with holes in them and stained to boot, that friends is slovenly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom