A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are there enough that feel like you to make a difference? I confess I spent less time in WDW and more in Universal my last 3 visits for this reason, but those were pre-kids. However, now that I have 2 year old, my wife and I plan to make annual visits to WDW. And many of our friends with kids plan on the same. I have not heard anyone (other than folks on these boards) complain about the "value engineering".
With young kids nothing compares or even comes close to what Disney has to offer.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can't believe it. Here I am the old, evil, vile, Disney-hating Spirit conjured up from the very pits of Hellfire and Damnation and ... I must have forgotten Halloween starts in the middle of summer ... at WDW.

I can't complain enough about the sickening greed that stuck three Halloween parties on the schedule BEFORE Labor Day. ... I can't, but I will control myself to explain a bit about my last posts. ... In my next post, that is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have been sourcing (or trying) an explosive tale about the future of ... (God, don't make me regret posting this ..) Marvel in Disney Parks.

When being apprised of certain things about D23's Expo and the no-Marvel announcement for the second time in three years and then hearing other comments about the future of Anaheim's proposed (because that's all it is at this point ... although I suppose you could use 'stalled' or 'dead in the water' etc.) Eastern Gateway entry and infrastructure, there seemed to be something else not being said.

And it would appear it involves the future use of Marvel properties in Disney's parks (please, please, please don't start 78 pages on your belief Disney and UNI are negotiating UNI's unconditional surrender or any such crap here -- I am already about 16 pages behind) and ... I don't wish to say more because I am not a rumormonger. I am not someone who likes to start rumors. I like to report news or things I am sure of at present time. This isn't one of those situations. But there are some troubling signs about things a lot of you are taking for granted.

I know that doesn't say much. What can I do? I can tell you that Marvel attractions that have been budgeted and started are absolutely happening (things like GotG: Peter Quill's Amazing 1983 Day at WDW where his Mommy, since she was dying of cancer, let him order the steak at the Poly's Tangaroa Terrace and ... HKDL's Tears of a Clown: Buzz Lightyear Gets Removed By Marvel Ants and John Lasseter Goes on a Drunken Binge and Trashes the best suite at the HKDL Hotel). But all those other things ... well, remember at various points of time (the 1990s Disney Decade ... all those 2007-08 era WDW projects etc.) when things were said to be happening? I wouldn't bet your life savings on them. Again, I am attempting to determine what is fact, what is possible and ... what is entertaining fiction.

The tale being spat up sounds plausible, but that doesn't mean it is happening (much like Indy at DAK). I just don't wish to post more until some clarity is achieved.

Sorry.

TiggerDad

I have been sourcing (or trying) an explosive tale about the future of ... (God, don't make me regret posting this ..) Marvel in Disney Parks.

When being apprised of certain things about D23's Expo and the no-Marvel announcement for the second time in three years and then hearing other comments about the future of Anaheim's proposed (because that's all it is at this point ... although I suppose you could use 'stalled' or 'dead in the water' etc.) Eastern Gateway entry and infrastructure, there seemed to be something else not being said.

And it would appear it involves the future use of Marvel properties in Disney's parks (please, please, please don't start 78 pages on your belief Disney and UNI are negotiating UNI's unconditional surrender or any such crap here -- I am already about 16 pages behind) and ... I don't wish to say more because I am not a rumormonger. I am not someone who likes to start rumors. I like to report news or things I am sure of at present time. This isn't one of those situations. But there are some troubling signs about things a lot of you are taking for granted.

I know that doesn't say much. What can I do? I can tell you that Marvel attractions that have been budgeted and started are absolutely happening (things like GotG: Peter Quill's Amazing 1983 Day at WDW where his Mommy, since she was dying of cancer, let him order the steak at the Poly's Tangaroa Terrace and ... HKDL's Tears of a Clown: Buzz Lightyear Gets Removed By Marvel Ants and John Lasseter Goes on a Drunken Binge and Trashes the best suite at the HKDL Hotel). But all those other things ... well, remember at various points of time (the 1990s Disney Decade ... all those 2007-08 era WDW projects etc.) when things were said to be happening? I wouldn't bet your life savings on them. Again, I am attempting to determine what is fact, what is possible and ... what is entertaining fiction.

The tale being spat up sounds plausible, but that doesn't mean it is happening (much like Indy at DAK). I just don't wish to post more until some clarity is achieved.

Sorry.
Having a hard time figuring out what is bad about this. Stuff already budgeted and announced is still happening, and they may have decided to not shoehorn a bunch of other Marvel stuff in? So what's the problem?

WDW1974

Original Poster
One Halloween-themed note: don't know how many of you are aware of the amazing job HKDL does annually at holding a non-upcharge (only WDW and DLR charge extra for the holiday, although DL has the decency to offer overlays to two major E-Tickets for all Guests) celebration. And one most definitely aimed at tweens and older. This isn't the WDW mandate that MNSSHP (and every single offering) not offend special needs six-year-olds' Mommy Bloggers!

They actually have things that can scare you and generally offer multiple entertainment offerings, including temporary haunted houses, which while short on gore (how many zombies sucking on fake arms with fake blood squirting does one need, UNI?) are long on frights, theming and storytelling.

This year, they are doing something I think is borderline genius (in other words, common sense). They are offering a haunted house based on what scares you from Disney films, including Pinocchio, Hercules, Monsters Inc., Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton films) and Beauty and the Beast. One reason these films work so well is they touch us emotionally and part of that is by scaring us (however temporarily so we can have the happy ending). Kids (and likely some fanbois) have nightmares after seeing some of these films. And that is OK ... but finally mining them in an attraction is just great. (Better than the infamous Villains Mountain blue sky deal or the never ever even getting that close fifth gate dedicated to Disney baddies.)

I really hope they pull this off because it is as obvious as say UNI using their classic horror/monster films of the 30s, 40s and 50s for HHNs (oh, they are still opting for gorefests based on current IP?) It amazes me that Disney has never attempted this.

Of course, I can recall four times in the last 20 years that execs with sense and a tiny bit of vision have tried to push through a more adult themed Halloween event at Disney's XXXXL Third Gate MAGICLand Park (really, is that list that three people from here sent me, legit?!?! They are so bereft of ideas and of understanding what that park will be that they can't come up with anything?!) only to be shot down (quite cruelly the second time, I might add).

Anyway, just in case you were interested.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Having a hard time figuring out what is bad about this. Stuff already budgeted and announced is still happening, and they may have decided to not shoehorn a bunch of other Marvel stuff in? So what's the problem?

I am not saying more without knowing more. I think I need to be more like @marni1971 (well, except for the fashion sense ... no one wants to ever dress like a UK tourist in the swamps!) and just be evasive.

I think your post sums up what I am saying.

DisneyFan18

Sorry to bother you @WDW1974, but I wanted to ask you if the explosive this happening at Disney, you mentioned previously, is related to the Marvel situation or is it completely unrelated to it? Thank your, for keeping us up to date :)

mickEblu

Well for DCA that would mean they got rid of TOT which anchored Hollywoodland for GOTG which looks like crap from all over the park and makes no sense in Hollywoodland. So just one big Land in flux with no direction until they figure out what they are doing.

Magenta Panther

Sorry.

Well, if what you're hinting at means LESS Marvel at Disney parks, then bravo, bravo. The less of those tacky violence-vending power fantasies in the lands of enchantment, the better. If I were Universal, I wouldn't give Disney an inch. Its classic Movie Monsters, Potter, and the Marvel license is what sets it apart from Disney. Why give up what makes you a viable and profitable alternative to pixie dust?

Disneyhead'71

Below is a gif of the upcoming explosion.

Wait for it.

LCV_Midland02_300.jpg

britain

My guesses: Marvel attractions are being held up / potentially cancelled because...

1) It turns out that no matter how often they put Iron Man in front of Captain America in the Chinese market, the polling (and merch sales) indicates that Marvel is perceived to push an American agenda. If costs of developing big Marvel attractions won't be spread out to include the Chinese parks, Disney is perhaps considering them to be not worth the investment.

2) It turns out that the Marvel experiences WDI has come up with are all very one note (aside from wacky GotG). While Star Wars has the potential to create immersive environments, Marvel's 'real world + military bases' settings are earning yawns in the boardroom powerpoint presentations. (And the lackluster performance of Summer of Heroes might be evidence of the public's disinterest as well.)

3) Perhaps Disney is developing concerns over attractions depicting 'real' places like New York turned into warzones. Considering the terrorism, violence, and international tensions in the real world, the board may prefer to invest in pure escapism ...but at the same time, after pouring billions into Pandora & Star Wars, the prospect of only building Marvel's cosmic settings like Asgard isn't sitting well either.

4) Some crazy legal thing (other than UNI) is slowing everything down. Perhaps too many Marvel attraction proposals are similar to the ones that were going to be built in Dubai, and Disney would be a lawsuit target by whatever themed entertainment agencies worked on those.

5) Silliest of all - perhaps the specter of One Disney is returning with some edict that if attractions cannot be developed for cloning at ALL the parks, they will be disregarded. And the UNI contract preventing WDW Marvel attractions puts the kibosh on everybody else.

seabreezept813

I'm sorry but people who go into debt like that are beyond stupid.

I tend to agree.. but having taught in an inner city school it's most definitely more complicated than that. What happens when you are brought up that way? I had students who had been to Disney for whatever reason, but weren't necessarily eating regularly. Ignorance can be taught in the same way that responsibility and rationality can.

bclane

If they do a Marvel land, I would hope for something like Wakanda from Black Panther. That could be off the chart fantastic and would definitely transport you to somewhere that is filled with wonder, is exotic, beautiful, high tech, other worldly, and all that without even leaving Earth. Maybe if the movie is as popular as I think it will be.... They could stick this in Africa in AK and while likely angering those that want only animal themes in AK, it would otherwise be a nice fit setting wise (at least as good as an Indy land would be).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom