A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Rodan75

FWIW, I’m all for a third gate, but I don’t believe the current UNI management/creative team is capable of it. UNI’s a sort of ampohorous blob to people outside of the theme park space. They need to build/rebuild their gates around specific themes/ideas if they want to beat Disney.

This. I'm super excited for Nintendo not very excited for anything else yet. I mean...outside of space what is their justification for a new gate?

Will Fantastic Worlds become their new Primary park and USF/IOA just fade over time? It feels that way with so many concepts apparently being repeated.

Bairstow

This. I'm super excited for Nintendo not very excited for anything else yet. I mean...outside of space what is their justification for a new gate?

Will Fantastic Worlds become their new Primary park and USF/IOA just fade over time? It feels that way with so many concepts apparently being repeated.

Justification for a third gate is that by offering three parks and a waterpark , Universal will be able to more effectively sell entire-trip vacation packages to families which include stays in their resorts.

The other two parks will not be allowed to "fade" as keeping all three attractive will be key to selling the multi-day, multi-park tickets that form the linchpin of this whole business model. Just as Disney did whenever they launched a new park, look for significant new investments at Studios and Islands when Worlds opens, to help sell 4/5 day stay packages.

jt04

A pure Nintendo gate would be a much smarter use of the properties then just spreading them out.

I could see them doing this for a Star Wars, or LOTR, or even Potter if they had a 'do over'? But Nintendo? Nah. Too many eggs in one mega park.

They have chosen the best option. A group of immersive lands. How I expect the studios at Disney will look in several years. Call it TPFKAMGM 2.0.

FigmentJedi

I could see them doing this for a Star Wars, or LOTR, or even Potter if they had a 'do over'? But Nintendo? Nah. Too many eggs in one mega park.

They have chosen the best option. A group of immersive lands. How I expect the studios at Disney will look in several years. Call it TPFKAMGM 2.0.
That's the most backwards logic I've ever seen. Like we aren't talking about single-movie parks here, we're talking about the Disney of video games with a wide range of worlds with immersive land potential that have been synergizing well together for years now thanks to a certain game series that just got a new entry last week.

And because Nintendo's strategy has always been built on keeping their evergreen franchises in a continuous state of activity, there's less of a concern about things getting too dated.

jt04

That's the most backwards logic I've ever seen. Like we aren't talking about single-movie parks here, we're talking about the Disney of video games with a wide range of worlds with immersive land potential that have been synergizing well together for years now thanks to a certain game series that just got a new entry last week.

And because Nintendo's strategy has always been built on keeping their evergreen franchises in a continuous state of activity, there's less of a concern about things getting too dated.

That is fantastic for Nintendo fans. How universally beloved is the franchise. Not everyone is heavily into video games. Perhaps a boutique park?

FigmentJedi

That is fantastic for Nintendo fans. How universally beloved is the franchise. Not everyone is heavily into video games. Perhaps a boutique park?
It's a beloved franchise built out of universally beloved franchises and characters that rival the Mouse in recognizability. A theme park built on Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, DK, Metroid, Kirby and other stuff could absolutely work well.

Can’t sell 3-park tickets to Nintendo fans if it’s all in one park.
But are they willing to build a "Warp Zone" attraction from the core resort all the way to the new parcel to sell park hopping in a big way like Hogwarts Express has?

Mike S

But are they willing to build a "Warp Zone" attraction from the core resort all the way to the new parcel to sell park hopping in a big way like Hogwarts Express has?
Harry Potter is one world, Nintendo is many different worlds that have no connections to each other outside of small references. Super Smash Bros. is not canon to any franchise. Mario, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi do exist together though which is why they’re in the same land.

A connection isn’t needed and wouldn’t thematically make sense either.
FWIW, I suspect a couple suits at Nintendo have realized giving the rights to UNI was a costly mistake.
Suuuuuuuuuure.

Btw unrelated but I just saw Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse. SO FREAKING GOOD!!!!!!! AND STAY AFTER THE CREDITS!!!!!!!!! :hilarious:

the.dreamfinder

Why do you say that?
First, we don’t know the full terms of their agreement, so a lot of this is based on my own knowledge, which is limited, but Nintendo simply could make more money, in the long run, if it built and designed its own theme parks. Walt Disney Productions always had money problemsduring Walt’s lifetime, but only Disneyland solved that. A Nintendo park would help insulate Nintendo’s financial performance and allow for novel creative opportunities for their characters/worlds and for their creators to experiment in the medium of themed entertainment.

Second, Nintendo is a very controlling company that knows exactly what it wants. The problem is that they have no internal competency to actually build and operate a theme park.

My suspicion about the initial UNI deal was that they had looked into building their own park with a partner, possibly OLC, and they came to the conclusion that they weren’t in a position to succeed at it at that point in time. With UNI they could get a high quality Nintendo land for Tokyo 2020 and start to slowly accumulate knowledge to build their own park(s), eventually. But having UNI build a new gate in FL with their IP as a central component versus what’s being done in Osaka and LA will present challenges in bringing their own parks to market in North America and Japan.

It’s honestly worst than the Marvel deal for them.

PS: To this day, the parks are still Disney’s cash machine. Just in case you were wondering who’s going to pay for the Fox deal.

Mike S

The third gate is going to have a version of the same land based on Mario. The wholly unique lands are going into the existing parks.
Maybe not totally unique. There’s an area in Japan set for future Nintendo expansion where we would have the Donkey Kong coaster. Depending on how events play out I wouldn’t be surprised if that area in Japan was used for Pokémon instead. But I don’t really know. Maybe USJ would be willing to have two full size Nintendo lands in one park which wouldn’t be surprising either considering it’s Japan.

Out of everything I could see Zelda being an Orlando exclusive as I think most of the fan base is actually western and USH simply doesn’t have the space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom