A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

AEfx

It’s a toolbox for increasing total representation of underrepresented groups.

It is true. I know many of these people, and they aren't stupid. They know what they are doing, many are aware of the inherent contradictions in what they preach - but they see it as a means to the end, it's all about "ending patriarchy" so it is okay to ignore arguments that don't follow or match because they need to "keep their eye on the goal". What they don't realize is that this turns nearly everyone else off, even those that would agree with and support them.

I mean, just the basic "okay, if a gay person has to play a gay person, does that mean a gay person can't play a straight person?"

It also is a movement that will pounce on any bad information or data they are given, so long as it reflects their agenda, no matter where it comes from. They quote places like SPLC (Southern Poverty Law Center) and other "independent" organizations (who depend on continued donations to stay alive) and whatever "reports" they issue, never questioning or even really reading them in many cases.

Example, I'll have to look it up when I have a chance this weekend and share the link - but I saw a really good argument earlier this week (from a fellow gay person) about how the newest "reports" claim that gay representation is still inadequate in media, yet when you actually parse the statistics - we are actually over-represented by about 1%, if you really analyze the numbers intellectually honestly. It is incredibly close, something like 6.5% of people are gay IRL, and 7.5% of regulars on TV shows are now gay.

What did that same report do, instead of cheering this? The ignore it, and say it still isn't good enough, because there aren't enough characters who are "intersectionally" trans-disabled-darker-skinned at the same time...we are really dialing down into the weeds.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s a toolbox for increasing total representation of underrepresented groups.

Indeed that is the case. The ones that have been historically underrepresented and oppressed can 'play up.' And the ones who've enjoyed multi-generational advantages and, still today, privilege, can't 'play down.'

So, a mostly-Black production of Hamilton? Yes. A mostly-White production of Porgy and Bess? No.

Minorities using traditional slurs against themselves as claiming power using the N-word and the F-word amongst themselves? Yes. Straight White folk using them? No.

Minorities appropriating the language, dress, music, and culture of the majority? Yes. The 'Majority' appropriating the language, dress, music, and culture of the minority? No... unless it's already been played out and mainstreamed.

Is it fair? No. Is the status quo where minorities are still disadvantaged fair? Hell no.

Last edited:

asianway

Indeed that is the case. The ones are have been historically underrepresented and oppressed can 'play up.' And the ones who've enjoyed multi-generational advantages and, still today, privilege, can't 'play down.'

So, a mostly-Black production of Hamilton? Yes. A mostly-White production of Porgy and Bess? No.

Minorities using traditional slurs against themselves as claiming power using the N-word and the F-word amongst themselves? Yes. Straight White folk using them? No.

Minorities appropriating the language, dress, music, and culture of the majority? Yes. The 'Majority' appropriating the language, dress, music, and culture of the minority? No... unless it's already been played out and mainstreamed.

Is it fair? No. Is the status quo where minorities are still disadvantaged fair? Hell no.
Thats not what the Batwoman controversy was about

Mike S

Indeed that is the case. The ones are have been historically underrepresented and oppressed can 'play up.' And the ones who've enjoyed multi-generational advantages and, still today, privilege, can't 'play down.'

All of what you said has to change for there to be true equality.

TalkingHead

I'm surprised people are still #rehireJamesGunn.

My inclination is to say let that one go. The point has been made. It was a social media outrage, largely politically motivated, and Disney acted hastily in firing him.

The best you can hope for is that media corporations will be more savvy when the next manufactured controversy comes around. But at this point the #rehire thing makes you look like an obsessed ex.

Disneyhead'71

I'm surprised people are still #rehireJamesGunn.

My inclination is to say let that one go. The point has been made. It was a social media outrage, largely politically motivated, and Disney acted hastily in firing him.

The best you can hope for is that media corporations will be more savvy when the next manufactured controversy comes around. But at this point the #rehire thing makes you look like an obsessed ex.
Yeah, it's time to move on. Gunn will be fine. DC Comics will hire him to do something. And then some horror film.

Disney/MARVEL will get the Ragnorok director for GotG3, who will rewrite parts of the script, and life will go on.

Absimilliard

Did not see anywhere else, but D23 just enacted a major change. I copied the email they sent to members outside of the US:

Effective August 15, 2018, D23 will no longer be able to allow members outside of the United States to sign up, renew or upgrade their D23 Gold and Gold Family Memberships. We value your commitment to D23 and thank you for your membership. D23 is currently exploring options to allow members outside of the United States to sign up or re-activate their Gold and Gold Family Memberships. Updates will be provided as soon as a solution is identified.

• What happens if my Gold or Gold Family Membership has not yet expired? Is my membership still active? Your Gold or Gold Family Membership will remain active until your membership expiration date.

• I’m a D23 Charter Member. Will my status be re-instated once a solution is found? Once a means to re-activate Gold or Gold Family Membership is achieved, we will review all options to bridge your initial membership.

• How will you contact me if a solution is identified? We will provide any updates to the email address that is associated with your membership.

For additional questions about these changes and your D23 Gold or Gold Family Membership you may also email us directly at GuestRelations@D23.com or call us during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PST) at (855) 323-5973.

Thank you,
The D23 Team

The timing is suspicious as D23 Expo tickets go on sale soon and you happen to need to hold a membership to attend even if you hold a ticket. I know someone who called D23 and he got corporate catchwords and no explanations.

My take on this: what better way than to restrict demand to D23 Expo... then by removing all non American members from the equation?

Correction: just checked the D23 website and it seems like non americans will be able to buy tickets... but when and will any be available after the D23 Gold Member buy theirs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom