A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

AEfx

My take on this: what better way than to restrict demand to D23 Expo... then by removing all non American members from the equation?

I have a feeling this has nothing whatsoever to do with any internal scheme, but because Disney Legal has thrown the switch for whatever reason. Most likely something with the membership that equated to some element of chance in some of the benefits/offers, like event ticketing (i.e. something they are afraid will be interpreted as "gambling", etc). Given recent developments in international review of such things (via gaming, mostly), I would not be surprised if Disney Legal did a top to bottom search to mark any possibly problematic products/features (and the membership may have happened to be one).

I wonder what the percentage of domestic vs. international members are. For whatever reason, for the time being, they seem to have decided that eliminating those memberships was a better idea for them than to alter whatever it is about the program that is the issue.

Side note, I'm just kind of surprised that D23 has made it this far. A lot of us kind of dismissed it when it first came out, because the big selling point was basically "insider" information, which by the time Disney is releasing it to anyone is usually old news around these parts. And on those rare occasions that it isn't, we still get the same info as soon as it hits the D23 community. It seems there is most definitely an audience out there for it, though - the fact the Expo has become so large is really surprising to me.

Mike S

I have a feeling this has nothing whatsoever to do with any internal scheme, but because Disney Legal has thrown the switch for whatever reason. Most likely something with the membership that equated to some element of chance in some of the benefits/offers, like event ticketing (i.e. something they are afraid will be interpreted as "gambling", etc). Given recent developments in international review of such things (via gaming, mostly), I would not be surprised if Disney Legal did a top to bottom search to mark any possibly problematic products/features (and the membership may have happened to be one).

I wonder what the percentage of domestic vs. international members are. For whatever reason, for the time being, they seem to have decided that eliminating those memberships was a better idea for them than to alter whatever it is about the program that is the issue.

Side note, I'm just kind of surprised that D23 has made it this far. A lot of us kind of dismissed it when it first came out, because the big selling point was basically "insider" information, which by the time Disney is releasing it to anyone is usually old news around these parts. And on those rare occasions that it isn't, we still get the same info as soon as it hits the D23 community. It seems there is most definitely an audience out there for it, though - the fact the Expo has become so large is really surprising to me.
Having been to the last one the reason it’s still around, to be quite honest, is that it’s a very fun experience. Might even go again next year.

Kman101

Having been to the last one the reason it’s still around, to be quite honest, is that it’s a very fun experience. Might even go again next year.

A Disney Expo was really a no-brainer. It also sounds like they keep trying to improve the experience and they try and learn from past mistakes. I'm tempted to try and go next year. I think as long as you're someone who "knows what to expect" you can make the most out of it and have fun.

Kman101

I’m still shocked they don’t livestream some of the presentations at D23, similar to what is done at E3.

Especially when they do their "Disney Parks LIVE" thing for parades and fireworks and such. There's definitely an audience for live streams. I imagine it has something to do with wanting it to be exclusive for those who paid to be there and not streaming it for everyone who didn't. I can see why they don't if that's the reason. But I bet they could get people to pay for it. At least stream the parks announcements, but they're all leaked right away anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

the.dreamfinder

The Expos are the one thing D23 can do that the online fan community can't. Anyone can post rumors, articles or high-res concept art, but only Disney themselves can gather their celebrities, staff, models and archival props and costumes in one place for all to see in person.
A D23 Gold membership isn’t an essential thing for a Disney fan to have.

(And I just finally upgraded to gold!)

michmousefan

Yeah, I've been to the last three and look forward to next years. For me and my friends... who are all WDW regulars, it's the chance to do all the Expo stuff *and* play in DL and DCA. Plus we (should) be able to get a first look at Galaxy's Edge, assuming we line up early enough. o_O

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

the.dreamfinder

Why the sigh? Since 2000, Disney's live action films almost never get critical acclaim, only make big bucks when they're doing a franchise movie or a beloved animation reboot, and has tons of box office flops.

I can't believe the article listed A Wrinkle in Time as if it were a good thing to be associated with it. It was critically panned and it lost money.
????
I don’t understand your point.

I’m disappointed TWDS just lost one of the execs at Disney live-action who got it.
Tendo was an executive who generally made films that he wanted to make that were essentially Disney in their composure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom