A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Donaldfan1934

Heck, I'm old enough to remember full frontal nudity in PG films. Not that I used to search the HBO Guide as a child to look for such things. Heavens, no. :angelic:
Wow, you wouldn't see that in any movie rated less than an R these days. I guess standards have changed even more than I thought they did.

No Name

Oh, no. Got to be real animals. And exotic. And jungle and/or tropical. You know, more of the same.

Domesticated animals and common animals, especially if they're cartoony talking types aren't allowed.

[Puts a big plant in front of Lion King and Bug's Life before anyone notices them.]

For such an active participant and helpful organizer of the forum, I find myself shocked that you still hold such fundamental misunderstandings of theme. Do you not see that in many films starring animals, particularly Zootopia, the animals simply serve as an analogy for human social conflict? Do you not see that It's Tough to be a Bug largely contributes to the theme of the park and is indeed an often praised example of animated characters in DAK? Comments like these poke more holes in your own misunderstandings than at anyone else.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For such an active participant and helpful organizer of the forum, I find myself shocked that you still hold such fundamental misunderstandings of theme. Do you not see that in many films starring animals, particularly Zootopia, the animals simply serve as an analogy for human social conflict? Do you not see that It's Tough to be a Bug largely contributes to the theme of the park and is indeed an often praised example of animated characters in DAK? Comments like these poke more holes in your own misunderstandings than at anyone else.

Actually, it points to you professing the orthodoxy of thematic purity without reconciling the acceptance of how it's already been broken and the brokenness accepted.

I just want consistency.

And thanks for initiating my heresy trial!! 👍

Animaniac93-98

I find myself shocked that you still hold such fundamental misunderstandings of theme.

Most self-identified Disney fans have pretty basic standards for the parks. Whatever's new is usually good enough. Rarely are they interested in any kind of understanding of what makes a great attraction, despite the company paying people to determine just that.

Last edited:

brb1006

Looks like Disney Animals® will be the next brand for marketing to push. I guess they finally realized that some of their most consistently popular movies (Bambi, Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians etc) don't fit into the categories of "Princess" or "Star Wars".

Looks like second tweet that was in french complete with a screenshot got deleted.

lazyboy97o

Most self-identified Disney fans have pretty basic standards for the parks. Whatever's new is usually good enough. Rarely are they interested in any kind of understanding of what makes a great attraction, despite the company paying people to determine just that.
Because by “Disney” they mean the movie studio. They’re not really interested in themed entertainment beyond the Disney parks. What’s more bizarre is how that has morphed into a disdain towards the art of crafting the medium because theme is a threat towards a favorite film being included in the parks. There is a glee in “disproving” theme and quality, as though work doesn’t improve with practice or that there is a difference between trying and coming up short and just not caring.

the.dreamfinder

Because by “Disney” they mean the movie studio. They’re not really interested in themed entertainment beyond the Disney parks. What’s more bizarre is how that has morphed into a disdain towards the art of crafting the medium because theme is a threat towards a favorite film being included in the parks. There is a glee in “disproving” theme and quality, as though work doesn’t improve with practice or that there is a difference between trying and coming up short and just not caring.
Also at WDI too.

“Disneyland?! That’s thematically inconsistent.”

Phil12

As far as the common bugs go, what are they talking about in their presentation at AK?
Well, for them to be realistic, they need to let the animals speak in their own languages and use captions to translate into the various human languages. After all it's rather bizarre to have all animals speaking fluent English since it's obvious that Disney is using voice over actors to dub the dialog. The only real exception to that would be Dug:

V_L_Raptor

Doesn't matter. I've run across people who reject any common animals you find in their home neighborhood for DAK.

I've run across people who reject any and all old-fashioned EPCOT Center pavilions because they didn't include explosions alongside flatulence jokes. Who cares? Besides, I didn't ask them or the sources you're citing here.

IIRC, ITTBaB uses cartoon bugs to do a quick spin of ecology with an emphasis on entomology. Dismissing that for theme because it's relayed through common animals is playing the "One of these things is not like the other..." game and failing catastrophically.

peter11435

So, then, the commonness of bugs and the talking animals toons of Lion King are OK for DAK thematically?

Yes. Nothing about the theme of DAK requires its subject matter to be rare or exotic.

Doesn't matter. I've run across people who reject any common animals you find in their home neighborhood for DAK.

Then those people don’t understand theme either.

Bairstow

Do you not see that It's Tough to be a Bug largely contributes to the theme of the park and is indeed an often praised example of animated characters in DAK?

I don't.

That movie was a lousy fit on day one and only became more incongruous with the rest of the park with time. Its message might work with the certain literal interpretations of the park's stated purpose, but giant (magical?) talking insects are totally at odds with the storytelling conventions the rest of the park so rigidly adheres to. The silver lining is that all the "fictional" talking animals in the park are containerized inside shows.

cjkeating

I don't.

That movie was a lousy fit on day one and only became more incongruous with the rest of the park with time. Its message might work with the certain literal interpretations of the park's stated purpose, but giant (magical?) talking insects are totally at odds with the storytelling conventions the rest of the park so rigidly adheres to. The silver lining is that all the "fictional" talking animals in the park are containerized inside shows.

But doesn't ITTBAB meet the three values of AK?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom