A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Before anyone objects to you bringing up 20K because it closed in 1994, let me quote a MiceAge article from 2004 to remind people of what WDI was doing at the time in California:

"Until ... one fall day in 2004 a little spark of hope arrived on the scene. A sub had been dragged into the lagoon with a "box" built next to it. Rumors abounded, but what was really going on was that Imagineering was doing a test to see if new technology would work to bring a version of Pixar's film Finding Nemo to the submarines.

If all went well, Imagineers could pitch the technology to management and get the funding to go ahead and redo the subs in a manner that that would capture the attention of today's park visitors.

I guess it all went pretty well."

sk060407t.jpg

And then compare that to WDW the same year:

20kafter_update01_182_sized.jpg

20000-Leagues-Under-the-Sea_Full_3695.jpg

20000-Leagues-Under-the-Sea_Full_3674.jpg

Wouldn't have been that hard to send a sub East for testing. Certainly easier than sending MSEP back and forth (twice).

Hindsight's always 20/20, but WDW could have kept its subs and still expanded Fantasyland. If only...

If only TDO had been willing to spend the money on the parks

the.dreamfinder

britain

I guess this is good news, but how do we know that this isn't different than when Iger said "We're throwing more money toward Shanghai Disneyland for more attractions" and then... nothing actually different comes from it – it's just that the budget for what was originally planned needed to get bigger.

And as Spirit told the tale, it was to help with crazy business expenses like bribery.

lazyboy97o

Unfortunately more money doesn't mean better quality in this business. Sometimes it can....but I guess we'll see.
This. A major reason for Universal going to Beijing instead of Shanghai was Beijing throwing a bunch of land and financing at Universal. It’s a big “mine’s bigger” contest within the Party while Universal continues to barrel towards Disney’s ridiculous costs. Universal Studios Beijing is full of clones in a market where construction labor is cheap. Yes, the development will be larger than just Universal, like the Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone that includes Shanghai Disney Resort, but it still seems a bit worrying.

britain

Except that he always vehemently denied making claims of bribery and other illegal activity.

I couldn't recall if he said "I'm not saying it was bribery or anything - wink wink" or if he said, "No, it wasn't for bribery."

In any case, just like we can't really discern the fruits of SDL's budget boost, I'm not sure if we'll see the fruits of USB's budget boost.

jakeman

Except that he always vehemently denied making claims of bribery and other illegal activity.
Right, he never made the claims, but he sure as heck let other people make them and didn't correct it. He was quick to call out off topic post, but some how the swirling undercurrent of accusing TWDC of bribery always seem to slip past his radar...
Well, sure, he vehemently denied explicitly making such claims. Instead he just heavily implied it and let the reader come to what "conclusion" they wanted.
Remember...critical thinking for the Spirited threads is always defined as assembling the puzzle pieces he laid out into the picture he wanted you to see, not to come to your own, alternative, conclusion or ask for more pieces.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Wait you don't like the last Jedi but like infinity war???? I left the latter utterly unimpressed and if I'm being honest upset. Felt like a cash grab making the film into two parts.

The reason the MCU works and the reason Infinity War felt like a cash grab to you is that it is a cash grab. But, it is a cash grab that I like a lot. When I was reading a lot of comics (~1975-1995), a comic devoted to a specific hero or group would have a regular issue come out every month. Then, typically in the summer, a more expensive, longer, annual would come out. There would be a lot of cross over stuff in the annuals...Spider Man and the Wasp might appear in the Daredevil annual and to find out more about what they were doing a reader of Daredevil might pick those annuals up. Of course, in those annuals, other characters would appear and you get the idea. I think comics quit doing this in the mid or late 90s. Anyway, everyone knew these were big money makers, but fans LOVED them. Infinity War is essentially that annual after 18 earlier issues. This seems about right at the pace you can do movies. Actually, the rate at which these movies comes out is one of the many subtle things that make the MCU work. Instead of trying to Hollywoodize comics and super heroes, they did the opposite. What if we made the movies as much like the comics as humanly possible? What if we tell little stories more often? Also, like the comics, they just tweaked things a bit if it wasn't quite as big as a commercial or critical success as they wanted (see: Thor) instead of just giving up on the whole enterprise. People like me who liked comic books at some point in life intuitively recognize the formula and really like it. TBH, in many ways I consider the whole MCU quite a cinematic accomplishment. They've successfully created a textured, layered world where characters are very important (this is also important to comics because a drawn fight is only so interesting). They've created this universe so successfully that a giant outer space dwarf who uses a solar powered smithy and a talking raccoon are taken in stride. Visually, each of these movies has scenes where I can close my eyes and picture the panel or splash page (tons of splash pages in Infinity War, another annual feature). I would have had the urge to end Black Panther by turning the scene of BP and Killmonger watching the Wakandan sunset together into a comic book panel.

Anyway, as a 48 year old dude (I ain't Thor) I can understand the criticisms. As a regular reader of comics when I was younger, I really appreciate why this works.

Last edited:

truecoat

The reason the MCU works and the reason Infinity War felt like a cash grab to you is that it is a cash grab. But, it is a cash grab that I like a lot. When I was reading a lot of comics (~1975-1995), a comic devoted to a specific hero or group would have a regular issue come out every month. Then, typically in the summer, a more expensive, longer, annual would come out. There would be a lot of cross over stuff in the annuals...Spider Man and the Wasp might appear in the Daredevil annual and to find out more about what they were doing a reader of Daredevil might pick those annuals up. Of course, in those annuals, other characters would appear and you get the idea. I think comics quit doing this in the mid or late 90s. Anyway, everyone knew these were big money makers, but fans LOVED them. Infinity War is essentially that annual after 18 earlier issues. This seems about right at the pace you can do movies. Actually, the rate at which these movies comes out is one of the many subtle things that make the MCU work. Instead of trying to Hollywoodize comics and super heroes, they did the opposite. What if we made the movies as much like the comics as humanly possible? What if we tell little stories more often. Also, like the comics, they just tweaked things a bit if it wasn't quite as big as a commercial or critical success as they wanted (see: Thor) instead of just giving up on the whole enterprise. People like me who liked comic books at some point in life intuitively recognize the formula and really like it. TBH, in many ways I consider the whole MCU quite a cinematic accomplishment. They've successfully created a textured, layered world where characters are very important (this is also important to comics because a drawn fight is only so interesting). They've created this universe so successfully that a giant outer space dwarf who uses a solar powered smithy and a talking raccoon are taken in stride. Visually, each of these movies has scenes where I can close my eyes and picture the panel or splash page (tons of splash pages in Infinity War, another annual feature). I would have had the urge to end Black Panther by turning the scene of BP and Killmonger watching the Wakandan sunset together into a comic book panel.

Anyway, as a 48 year old dude (I ain't Thor) I can understand the criticisms. As a regular reader of comics when I was younger, I really appreciate why this works.

Bravo! I couldn't agree more!

By the time we reached 19 movies, it should have been something along the lines of Transformers 5 quality or worse and it's way way above that. I kept thinking to myself as I was watching it that this movie shouldn't be this good.

Rodan75

The reason the MCU works and the reason Infinity War felt like a cash grab to you is that it is a cash grab. But, it is a cash grab that I like a lot. When I was reading a lot of comics (~1975-1995), a comic devoted to a specific hero or group would have a regular issue come out every month. Then, typically in the summer, a more expensive, longer, annual would come out. There would be a lot of cross over stuff in the annuals...Spider Man and the Wasp might appear in the Daredevil annual and to find out more about what they were doing a reader of Daredevil might pick those annuals up. Of course, in those annuals, other characters would appear and you get the idea. I think comics quit doing this in the mid or late 90s. Anyway, everyone knew these were big money makers, but fans LOVED them. Infinity War is essentially that annual after 18 earlier issues. This seems about right at the pace you can do movies. Actually, the rate at which these movies comes out is one of the many subtle things that make the MCU work. Instead of trying to Hollywoodize comics and super heroes, they did the opposite. What if we made the movies as much like the comics as humanly possible? What if we tell little stories more often. Also, like the comics, they just tweaked things a bit if it wasn't quite as big as a commercial or critical success as they wanted (see: Thor) instead of just giving up on the whole enterprise. People like me who liked comic books at some point in life intuitively recognize the formula and really like it. TBH, in many ways I consider the whole MCU quite a cinematic accomplishment. They've successfully created a textured, layered world where characters are very important (this is also important to comics because a drawn fight is only so interesting). They've created this universe so successfully that a giant outer space dwarf who uses a solar powered smithy and a talking raccoon are taken in stride. Visually, each of these movies has scenes where I can close my eyes and picture the panel or splash page (tons of splash pages in Infinity War, another annual feature). I would have had the urge to end Black Panther by turning the scene of BP and Killmonger watching the Wakandan sunset together into a comic book panel.

a like didn't seem like enough...well said!

Elizabeth Swann

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The reason the MCU works and the reason Infinity War felt like a cash grab to you is that it is a cash grab. But, it is a cash grab that I like a lot. When I was reading a lot of comics (~1975-1995), a comic devoted to a specific hero or group would have a regular issue come out every month. Then, typically in the summer, a more expensive, longer, annual would come out. There would be a lot of cross over stuff in the annuals...Spider Man and the Wasp might appear in the Daredevil annual and to find out more about what they were doing a reader of Daredevil might pick those annuals up. Of course, in those annuals, other characters would appear and you get the idea. I think comics quit doing this in the mid or late 90s. Anyway, everyone knew these were big money makers, but fans LOVED them. Infinity War is essentially that annual after 18 earlier issues. This seems about right at the pace you can do movies. Actually, the rate at which these movies comes out is one of the many subtle things that make the MCU work. Instead of trying to Hollywoodize comics and super heroes, they did the opposite. What if we made the movies as much like the comics as humanly possible? What if we tell little stories more often? Also, like the comics, they just tweaked things a bit if it wasn't quite as big as a commercial or critical success as they wanted (see: Thor) instead of just giving up on the whole enterprise. People like me who liked comic books at some point in life intuitively recognize the formula and really like it. TBH, in many ways I consider the whole MCU quite a cinematic accomplishment. They've successfully created a textured, layered world where characters are very important (this is also important to comics because a drawn fight is only so interesting). They've created this universe so successfully that a giant outer space dwarf who uses a solar powered smithy and a talking raccoon are taken in stride. Visually, each of these movies has scenes where I can close my eyes and picture the panel or splash page (tons of splash pages in Infinity War, another annual feature). I would have had the urge to end Black Panther by turning the scene of BP and Killmonger watching the Wakandan sunset together into a comic book panel.

THIS ^^^^^ is why I love these movies. I agree a like just wasn't enough. The comics from my childhood are coming to life and I love it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom