A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

TeddyinMO

Fans definitely want Filoni to be in charge of creative. They could keep Kennedy to run the business side and Filoni creative side.
Personally, I’d like them to give Filoni a job as story master over all Star Wars properties. Let others direct, write, etc. all of the various movies, TV shows and books but Filoni serves as an expert advisor to all of them sort of preserving the myths and legacy of Star Wars. To some degree it seems Kasden has served this role for the movies, but as the universe expands, I think Filoni would be a strong choice to oversee the overall Star Wars mythology.

the.dreamfinder

So Kathleen Kennedy has overseen 3 consecutive movies that have topped $1 billion, including 2 in the top 10 all time, and she’s in trouble? Come on. That’s crazy.

For all the hate Last Jedi received on the internet, it’s the 9th best box office of all time. There’s a clear plan for Episode IX and beyond with multiple movie lines coming (RJs and the GOTs guys).

On TV, Rebels ended its run as a solid success (maybe a single or double vs a HR, but still solid), and she just signed one of the most successful directors going to helm a live action show. This is a safe hire like hiring Nick Saban or Bill Belichek to coach your football team is a safe hire. Get someone good and proven and let them do their thing. That’s what she’s doing.

If anything, this shows she learned from what may have been earlier risks/mistakes when she hired younger, up and coming directors with mixed success.

Kennedy may not be around for all of this to happen but it will be because she decides to retire, not because Disney’s unhappy.

PS I doubt Solo reaches $1 billion, but if it hits $600 mil I’d bet Disney considers that a success for what has been a troubled project. Some things don’t work like you envisioned on the drawing board. A good leader makes the best of a bad situation. If Kennedy gets Solo to $600+, that’s a success at this point.
Every SW film is pretty much in “too big to fail” territory at this point. I really liked Last Jedi, but the fact she removed Lord and Miller without ever offering a reason beyond “they were taking their time”, as if months of reshoots isn’t time consuming or anything, and picking/firing so so talent like Josh Trank and Trevorrow indicates a problem. (The reactionary Galaxy’s Edge and EA mess notwithstanding)

the.dreamfinder

Personally, I’d like them to give Filoni a job as story master over all Star Wars properties. Let others direct, write, etc. all of the various movies, TV shows and books but Filoni serves as an expert advisor to all of them sort of preserving the myths and legacy of Star Wars. To some degree it seems Kasden has served this role for the movies, but as the universe expands, I think Filoni would be a strong choice to oversee the overall Star Wars mythology.
The Lucasfilm Story Group, which Filoni sits on with SG leader Pablo Hidalgo, lead development executive Kiri Hart, Leland Chee, keeper of the holochron, and others, does that right now.

Last edited:

shernernum

So Kathleen Kennedy has overseen 3 consecutive movies that have topped $1 billion, including 2 in the top 10 all time, and she’s in trouble? Come on. That’s crazy.

For all the hate Last Jedi received on the internet, it’s the 9th best box office of all time. There’s a clear plan for Episode IX and beyond with multiple movie lines coming (RJs and the GOTs guys).

On TV, Rebels ended its run as a solid success (maybe a single or double vs a HR, but still solid), and she just signed one of the most successful directors going to helm a live action show. This is a safe hire like hiring Nick Saban or Bill Belichek to coach your football team is a safe hire. Get someone good and proven and let them do their thing. That’s what she’s doing.

If anything, this shows she learned from what may have been earlier risks/mistakes when she hired younger, up and coming directors with mixed success.

Kennedy may not be around for all of this to happen but it will be because she decides to retire, not because Disney’s unhappy.

PS I doubt Solo reaches $1 billion, but if it hits $600 mil I’d bet Disney considers that a success for what has been a troubled project. Some things don’t work like you envisioned on the drawing board. A good leader makes the best of a bad situation. If Kennedy gets Solo to $600+, that’s a success at this point.
With the production, reshoots, and marketing costs I have a feeling it would need to make more than that to break even. We are probably floating into Justice League territory when it comes to cost. But like I said, hope it’s great.

truecoat

Every SW film is pretty much in “too big to fail” territory at this point. I really liked Last Jedi, but the fact she removed Lord and Miller without ever offering a reason beyond “they were taking their time”, as if months of reshoots isn’t time consuming or anything, and picking/firing so so talent like Josh Trank and Trevorrow indicates a problem. (The reactionary Galaxy’s Edge and EA mess notwithstanding)

Parting of ways was initiated partly by the lead, Alden Ehrenreich. He complained about how the character of Han Solo was appearing in the movie to an associate producer who relayed it to KK. As reported, they looked at the footage shot and wanted another director to help shape the film in which Lord and Miller balked. Firing the pair was easy after that.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
PlayStation, Nintendo, but no Xbox. Ouch, lol.

No offense...but I can't understand why Nintendo is on that list. They have been behind PS and Xbox for quite some time...I guess the emotional bond comes from their history and millennials playing NES, SNES, and N64 as children?

Also, I imagine Disney is going to be back up there for Gen Z.

Hattieboxghost110

No offense...but I can't understand why Nintendo is on that list. They have been behind PS and Xbox for quite some time...

Not really. The Wii was one of the best-selling consoles of all time.

It was the Wii U that bombed for various reasons. A lot it was due to marketing. They found their groove again with the Switch. Let's also not forget that the Nintendo DESTROYED Playstation in the handheld market, effectively putting them out of business. 3DS is king.

Nintendo has a history of having a best-selling console, followed by a low-selling one. This goes back to NES/SNES.

But yea, I heart Nintendo & Playstation, could care less about Xbox.

brb1006

No offense...but I can't understand why Nintendo is on that list. They have been behind PS and Xbox for quite some time...I guess the emotional bond comes from their history and millennials playing NES, SNES, and N64 as children?

Also, I imagine Disney is going to be back up there for Gen Z.
Nintendo Switch and the popularity of Super Smash Bros since Melee might played a role in this.

disnyfan89

Time for Disney to get down with the street. Word up.
7caa4b8f10859c192d6ef939bfcbf988--mickey-disney-disney-diy.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom