A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

BrianLo

Survey sees Disney dropping off the top ten list of brands Millienials have a close emotional bond to.
https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/09/apple-awards-brand-intimacy/

For clarity's sake it is only the 18-24 year-old "late millennial"/Generation Z demo. I was very confused when I stumbled on a list very discongruant with what 9-5 Mac posted with Disney ranked 2nd for Millennials.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...lms-brand-intimacy-2018-report-300610770.html

Lots of interesting differences including the older millennial crowd seems attached to X-box brand and not playstation. I figure the Disney bit has a lot to do with the 18-24 age group exceedingly shifting into people who grew up in the post-Reinnesance film era.

What I cannot figure out is why on earth 18-24 year olds have an attachment to Walmart? Huh?

the.dreamfinder

For clarity's sake it is only the 18-24 year-old "late millennial"/Generation Z demo. I was very confused when I stumbled on a list very discongruant with what 9-5 Mac posted with Disney ranked 2nd for Millennials.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...lms-brand-intimacy-2018-report-300610770.html

Lots of interesting differences including the older millennial crowd seems attached to X-box brand and not playstation. I figure the Disney bit has a lot to do with the 18-24 age group exceedingly shifting into people who grew up in the post-Reinnesance film era.

What I cannot figure out is why on earth 18-24 year olds have an attachment to Walmart? Huh?
The younger millennials grew up with those movies on video/DVD and saw the now classic Pixar films like “Monsters Inc”, “Finding Nemo”, “The Incredibles”, and “UP” in theaters. Marvel and SW may be connected to Disney by ownership, but Pixar has always been connected to Disney and pulled the slack when WDFA was driven into a ditch.
Yeaaahhhhhh, that one is a head scratcher.

It's like saying Olive Garden is your favorite restaurant. Makes no sense.
For some people, Walmart is THE store and that position, not unlike Amazon, builds a connection as “the place where I get all my stuff”.

Princess Leia

The younger millennials grew up with those movies on video/DVD and saw the now classic Pixar films like “Monsters Inc”, “Finding Nemo”, “The Incredibles”, and “UP” in theaters. Marvel and SW may be connected to Disney by ownership, but Pixar has always been connected to Disney and pulled the slack when WDFA was driven into a ditch.

For some people, Walmart is THE store and that position, not unlike Amazon, builds a connection as “the place where I get all my stuff”.
When I was a senior in HS, Walmart was sometimes the place to hang out on a Friday night. If there wasn’t a party to go to, we were too young for the bars, so we legit went to Walmart a couple times.

Mike S

You know who really won in both of these lists? Universal Parks & Resorts.

Super Nintendo World is going to make serious hand over fist money :greedy:

Princess Leia

And it only just opened in China, and still #1 at the American box office. $1.2 billion + seems like a given at this point.
A Wrinkle in Time had the higher Friday number, but I think BP will get the weekend. Not a bad weekend for Disney though, to have the top 2 at the box office is pretty impressive.

Does anything big come out next weekend?

Princess Leia

Tomb Raider is the widest release next weekend. Whether or not it's "big" remains to be seen.
Forbes is saying BP made $41.1 Million this weekend, against Wrinkle in Time’s $33m. It will drop again next weekend, but it really probably depends on how the reviews for Tomb Raider are. Even if it comes in second next weekend, that’s still really respectable.

Quinnmac000

Before someone makes the inevitable China is racist and Black Panther 2 won't succeed. The issuing was the film coloring not so much the black people.

“Maybe the Chinese are still not used to a film full of black people,” wrote one reviewer on Douban (link in Chinese). The commenter said he had to pinch himself more than 10 times to stay awake during the movie because “Black Panther is black, all the major characters are black, a lot of scenes are black, the car-chasing scene is black—the blackness has really made me drowsy.”

Another reviewer who came into the theater late made a similar observation: “When I entered the theater, a bunch of black people was fighting in the night… I’ve never been in a theater so dark that I couldn’t find my seat.”

Someone else said the experience was worse in 3D (link in Chinese): “The film is filled with black actors and actresses. Also, because the film’s colors are a bit dark, it’s nearly a torture for the eyes to watch the film’s 3D version in the theater.”

pwnbeaver

Before someone makes the inevitable China is racist and Black Panther 2 won't succeed. The issuing was the film coloring not so much the black people.

Ennnnh, I've lived there before and will live there again. I can say that in my experience those comments are thinly veiled expressions of their opinion of black skin (not black people). Most Chinese people don't have anything against people themselves because of their skin colour, but they have very strict standards as to what is beautiful. In China, white skin is the beauty standard. It's why their movie stars look like porcelain.

The hard thing for us Westerners to grasp is that our standards of ideological stuff like racism do not match those of the Chinese. We're talking about a culture where my friends told me to stop saying "thank you" because it implies that they owe me something. The real reason Black Panther likely isn't being received with the fanfare it's getting in the West is that it has a great character story about values and politics with most of the action jammed into twenty minutes of cgi budget waste at the end. All the great stuff in the middle of the movie wouldn't resonate in China because the audience has to sit there reading subtitles for issues that are unfamiliar (censorship and selective media block a lot) and that they probably don't understand. The people in the quotes are using aesthetics to explain how they felt while watching the movie, a common way the Chinese describe Western movies since the only ones they really love are the loud bombastic nonsense they can just sit down and enjoy without trying to make heads or tails of a foreign language.

Nubs70

Ennnnh, I've lived there before and will live there again. I can say that in my experience those comments are thinly veiled expressions of their opinion of black skin (not black people). Most Chinese people don't have anything against people themselves because of their skin colour, but they have very strict standards as to what is beautiful. In China, white skin is the beauty standard. It's why their movie stars look like porcelain.

The hard thing for us Westerners to grasp is that our standards of ideological stuff like racism do not match those of the Chinese. We're talking about a culture where my friends told me to stop saying "thank you" because it implies that they owe me something. The real reason Black Panther likely isn't being received with the fanfare it's getting in the West is that it has a great character story about values and politics with most of the action jammed into twenty minutes of cgi budget waste at the end. All the great stuff in the middle of the movie wouldn't resonate in China because the audience has to sit there reading subtitles for issues that are unfamiliar (censorship and selective media block a lot) and that they probably don't understand. The people in the quotes are using aesthetics to explain how they felt while watching the movie, a common way the Chinese describe Western movies since the only ones they really love are the loud bombastic nonsense they can just sit down and enjoy without trying to make heads or tails of a foreign language.
Cultural disconnect strikes again?

Princess Leia

“Maybe the Chinese are still not used to a film full of black people,” wrote one reviewer on Douban (link in Chinese). The commenter said he had to pinch himself more than 10 times to stay awake during the movie because “Black Panther is black, all the major characters are black, a lot of scenes are black, the car-chasing scene is black—the blackness has really made me drowsy.”

Another reviewer who came into the theater late made a similar observation: “When I entered the theater, a bunch of black people was fighting in the night… I’ve never been in a theater so dark that I couldn’t find my seat.”

Someone else said the experience was worse in 3D (link in Chinese): “The film is filled with black actors and actresses. Also, because the film’s colors are a bit dark, it’s nearly a torture for the eyes to watch the film’s 3D version in the theater.”
Is that from the Quartz article? It mentions the cultural disconnect over there (there are Asian countries like China, Korea, and Japan that still think blackface is an okay thing to do).

As for the 3D, I also heard it wasn’t that great (which is why I saw it in 2D on all three trips to the theater).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While one site in China is panning BP, that hasn't stopped it from doing well over there. From Deadline:

In China, the start is slightly above the range most saw ahead of the weekend and reps the 4th biggest MCU and superhero opening ever in the market. The Wakanda crew sparred with and was slightly edged by last year’s Spider-Man: Homecoming which keeps the crown of No. 3 MCU/superhero bow ever.
The Middle Kingdom bow, which includes $7.3M from IMAX screens for a March debut record, was strong and landed 122% ahead of GOTG, 55% ahead of Ant-Man, 40% above Doctor Strange and 16% mightier than Thor: Ragnarok. Still, the film may find itself hampered by a not-so-hot score on local reviews site Douban. At 6.8, it’s lower than the superhero comps, but higher than the local Monster Hunt movies. There’s also competition ahead, so the final projection here is in the $100M-$110M range. Either way, the BP phenomenon is still on track for over $600M internationally and around $1.2B or more worldwide.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Re: CGI Pooh from Trailer.

What's your thoughts? (Granted it's probably too early to weigh-in) Twitter's got plenty. I admire the understated Pooh animation but at the same time I wonder if it's enough... or is it too much? Thinking back on how the talking pets on "Homeward Bound" was achieved; I wonder if "Christopher Robin" couldn't have done the same thing with Jim Cummings VOing a physical teddy bear prop. Is GCI needed? Did they strike a happy medium between inanimate and animated or did you expect a Pooh similar to that of Ted or Paddington. Too early to tell? Too little animation. Too much? Too hot. Too cold. Just right?

Last edited:

brb1006

Re: CGI Pooh from Trailer.

What's your thoughts? (Granted it's probably too early to weigh-in) Twitter's got plenty. I admire the understated Pooh animation but at the same time I wonder if it's enough... or is it too much? Thinking back on how the talking pets on "Homeward Bound" was achieved; I wonder if "Christopher Robin" couldn't have done the same thing with Jim Cummings VOing a physical teddy bear prop. Is GCI needed? Did they strike a happy medium between inanimate and animated or did you expect a Pooh similar to that of Ted or Paddington. Too early to tell? Too little animation. Too much? Too hot. Too cold. Just right?
So far the teaser has gotten alot of positive reactions from both Twitter, Youtube and other websites. Pooh may take a while to get used to but I love how they dedicated to combine the Disney design with the actual look of the actual Pooh stuffed animal. Then again we haven't seen the rest of Pooh's friends yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom