A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

HMF

I’d buy “A Star Wars Flamethrower.”
1520537216388.png

FigmentJedi

That's alliterartion, not a pun.
Tombstone Tater Tots is also alliteration and not a pun.
Live action Star Wars???? I don't get it
Every prior Star Wars TV series has been animated because that was the most practical way to do Star Wars on the small screen and arguably still is. George was wanting to do a live-action show years ago, but he kept waiting for technology to get where he could do movie-level stuff on a TV budget and some of the episodes written for that have found their way into projects like Rogue One or the Han Solo movie.

Nubs70

Tombstone Tater Tots is also alliteration and not a pun.

Every prior Star Wars TV series has been animated because that was the most practical way to do Star Wars on the small screen and arguably still is. George was wanting to do a live-action show years ago, but he kept waiting for technology to get where he could do movie-level stuff on a TV budget and some of the episodes written for that have found their way into projects like Rogue One or the Han Solo movie.
Ok starting to understand. Laser gun and light sabre effects will be pretty tough to replicate. Are they going to literally be uttering "pew, pew,pew" during gun battles?

FigmentJedi

Ok starting to understand. Laser gun and light sabre effects will be pretty tough to replicate. Are they going to literally be uttering "pew, pew,pew" during gun battles?
George's show would have focused a lot on the galactic criminal underworld with a particular emphasis on the seedy underbelly of Coruscant, so more like trouble with getting that futuristic grungy city look and all those aliens on a TV budget.

shernernum

I think Solo will open huge, only to take a 60-70% plunge in ticket sales the following week.
Opening huge isn’t the problem and while it may be a big opening it’s not going to open as big as the Saga films or Black Panther. Rogue One is probably more realistic, however if it’s not a great movie and drops 65-70% after first weekend the stand alone films will be in trouble. I’m a Star Wars fan and I like Ron Howard so I hope it’s great. but the production issues don’t fill me with confidence and the lingering backlash from Episode VIII may put the billion dollar mark out of reach. I doubt Infinity War will have the same issue unless it’s an unexpected stinker.

rle4lunch

Opening huge isn’t the problem and while it may be a big opening it’s not going to open as big as the Saga films or Black Panther. Rogue One is probably more realistic, however if it’s not a great movie and drops 65-70% after first weekend the stand alone films will be in trouble. I’m a Star Wars fan and I like Ron Howard so I hope it’s great. but the production issues don’t fill me with confidence and the lingering backlash from Episode VIII may put the billion dollar mark out of reach. I doubt Infinity War will have the same issue unless it’s an unexpected stinker.

I'm a star wars fan too and was impressed with rogue one. And while I hope it does good, the tea leaves aren't coming out good on this one within the interwebs

the.dreamfinder

Which tangent? Speculation over Favreau being picked or the general discussion over Lucasfilm's directorial/producer choices?
We can start with the KK might not be the best fit to run Lucasfilm tangent. There were rumblings at one point that Feige wanted to move over to LFL after phase three ends; his contract is supposed to expire soon.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

We can start with the KK might not be the best fit to run Lucasfilm. There were rumblings at one point that Feige wanted to move over to LFL after phase three ends; his contract is supposed to expire soon.
They'd probably want to keep Feige at Marvel just to keep that gravy train running smoothly.

People want Filoni not just from the quality of his work at Lucasfilm for the last decade, but for basically being George's apprentice in the years before the buyout and thus seeming an ideal torchbearer for the larger franchise.

TeddyinMO

We can start with the KK might not be the best fit to run Lucasfilm. There were rumblings at one point that Feige wanted to move over to LFL after phase three ends; his contract is supposed to expire soon.
So Kathleen Kennedy has overseen 3 consecutive movies that have topped $1 billion, including 2 in the top 10 all time, and she’s in trouble? Come on. That’s crazy.

For all the hate Last Jedi received on the internet, it’s the 9th best box office of all time. There’s a clear plan for Episode IX and beyond with multiple movie lines coming (RJs and the GOTs guys).

On TV, Rebels ended its run as a solid success (maybe a single or double vs a HR, but still solid), and she just signed one of the most successful directors going to helm a live action show. This is a safe hire like hiring Nick Saban or Bill Belichek to coach your football team is a safe hire. Get someone good and proven and let them do their thing. That’s what she’s doing.

If anything, this shows she learned from what may have been earlier risks/mistakes when she hired younger, up and coming directors with mixed success.

Kennedy may not be around for all of this to happen but it will be because she decides to retire, not because Disney’s unhappy.

PS I doubt Solo reaches $1 billion, but if it hits $600 mil I’d bet Disney considers that a success for what has been a troubled project. Some things don’t work like you envisioned on the drawing board. A good leader makes the best of a bad situation. If Kennedy gets Solo to $600+, that’s a success at this point.

Rteetz

People want Filoni not just from the quality of his work at Lucasfilm for the last decade, but for basically being George's apprentice in the years before the buyout and thus seeming an ideal torchbearer for the larger franchise.
Fans definitely want Filoni to be in charge of creative. They could keep Kennedy to run the business side and Filoni creative side.

Rteetz

So Kathleen Kennedy has overseen 3 consecutive movies that have topped $1 billion, including 2 in the top 10 all time, and she’s in trouble? Come on. That’s crazy.
I wouldn't be surprised. Star Wars/Lucasfilm is an interesting entity. Many fans have felt Kennedy's leadership could be improved upon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom