A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

NearTheEars

Finn really does not add to the story in any way for me. He is just a normal guy with not much experience in anything. Han Solo was a normal guy with no special powers but at least had a cool background of smuggler/bandit and had Chewie and the Falcon. Finn is like Sheia LAbouff in Transformers, he just screams a lot.

I think Finn was very interesting in TFA. I don't think we've ever seen a storm trooper turn before. But he was not that interesting at all in TLJ. Hopefully the gang is all back together in the next film.

AEfx

I think Finn was very interesting in TFA. I don't think we've ever seen a storm trooper turn before. But he was not that interesting at all in TLJ. Hopefully the gang is all back together in the next film.

I agree, he was a lot more interesting in TFA, before he completely repeated what he did in that film in this one. His character didn't move an inch.

Don't forget, though - that the "gang" hasn't even really been together yet - Poe and Rey didn't even meet until the end of TLJ, LOL.

That's where the whole thing is really falling apart for me - these guys have all known each other a week. So it is hard to really buy into any truly complex relationships.

lazyboy97o

That's where the whole thing is really falling apart for me - these guys have all known each other a week. So it is hard to really buy into any truly complex relationships.
But that’s the genius of the film. It challenges your preconceived notions of interpersonal relationships and continuity. If you ignore all of that, it’s brilliant!

Last edited:

NearTheEars

I agree, he was a lot more interesting in TFA, before he completely repeated what he did in that film in this one. His character didn't move an inch.

Don't forget, though - that the "gang" hasn't even really been together yet - Poe and Rey didn't even meet until the end of TLJ, LOL.

Good point. But I thought more time had passed. I got the impression, though, that Rey was out on the island for quite a long time trying to convince Luke to take her seriously.

I really enjoyed the Rey/Kylo interaction but definitely missed the Poe/Finn, Finn/Rey dynamic.

Cesar R M

⚡⚡️Actual news⚡⚡
TWDC has picked former iTunes and Walmart executive Kevin Swint to run its upcoming streaming, or SVOD, service. What’s intersting, and concerning, about this development is the Disney SVOD division will fall under BAMTech, as opposed to being connected to the Disney Channel with BAMTech as the technical foundation. While not an either/or proposition in the short term, the streaming platform needs to be the evolution of the Disney Channel. Why wouldn’t you set it up under the Disney Channel Group and really start to challenge how Disney uses these channels and how a streaming service changes that. The streaming service excites me, but maybe they don’t see what I see in its potential.
⚡⚡️That is all!⚡⚡
I will personally punch Iger if the streaming service ends requiring a magicband and a personal scanning device (charged to you) to get the full service ;)

Jones14

I do need to briefly point out that the timeline of The Last Jedi is not as cramped as many make it out to be.

Rey leaves at the end of The Force Awakens, and arrives on Ach-To at LEAST several days before the Resistance is caught mid-evacuation. We can infer this because D’Qar is nowhere near Starkiller Base, and the First Order has to have been given enough time for their forces to regroup, assemble a strike force, AND get Kylo Ren some plastic surgery. That last bit alone betrays a sense of time, since it’s shown that he gets multiple treatments.

The countdown only starts once the Resistance starts running out of fuel, and even then, it still doesn’t apply to Rey, Luke, and Chewie, because seeing things concurrently doesn’t equal things happening concurrently.

FigmentJedi

Rey leaves at the end of The Force Awakens, and arrives on Ach-To at LEAST several days before the Resistance is caught mid-evacuation. We can infer this because D’Qar is nowhere near Starkiller Base, and the First Order has to have been given enough time for their forces to regroup, assemble a strike force, AND get Kylo Ren some plastic surgery. That last bit alone betrays a sense of time, since it’s shown that he gets multiple treatments.
I'd hardly call some bacta bandaids "plastic surgery".

truecoat

It is really hard to buy into it as an epic when you realize that. To people in the theater viewing TLJ, it has been a couple of years in between films so it doesn't hit at first blush - but it's just a matter of days in the timeline of the story. So these characters who basically just met have these dramatic relationships - personally, it makes it feel so silly to me.

And that's not even getting into things like Finn, who when you realize this just comes across as a horn-dog with an obsessive/stalker personality, LOL. That's another example of where the OT was in the middle - look at Leia and Han's romance in TSB- it was made clear that time had passed and events had happened between films, which made it feel a lot more realistic. In this timeline, Finn met Rey on a Monday, spent Tuesday with her, spent Wednesday looking for her, was in a coma on Thursday, woke up on Friday, and made goo-goo eyes at Rose, the first girl he meets. (That's why Poe's line to him "you must have a million questions!" literally makes me laugh out loud - how could he have a million questions about the mere day or so that has passed since he was knocked out?)

That's why TLJ feels like a bunch of checkboxes - because the overall story really doesn't make logical or emotional sense - the scenes/dialogue in it are to serve an external purpose to "fit everything in" instead of feeling like the natural progression of a story.

One thing that I always thought about Empire (my fav btw) is that it seems Leia and Han are running around for a couple days at most including time spent at the Cloud City. Luke seems to be on Dagobah for what seems like weeks but they end up in the Cloud City right after each other. It doesn't bother me but I've wondered about it.

Bairstow

I would see that as a positive. I could visit the subforums and threads I cared about without having to wade through posts on topics I didn't care about in order to see the stuff I am interested in. Sure, I could stop following this thread, and I may if it continues to drift aimlessly, but there is occasional stuff that is only here.
Wait, so why ARE you following this thread?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom