A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

shernernum

If you are in a market where you are 30 miles from a Whole Foods, I call shenanagins on everything else you said.

Choosing to shop at Walmart, for concenience or price, does not make it “the only option”.

It is the option you choose.

So I'm going to drive 30 miles to go spend my life savings on groceries at Whole Foods (brought to you by Amazon). You're right it is a choice, but if you are even on a somewhat limited income it's not much of one.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So I'm going to drive 30 miles to go spend my life savings on groceries at Whole Foods (brought to you by Amazon). You're right it is a choice, but if you are even on a somewhat limited income it's not much of one.
No grocery stores at all? No Carnicerias? No Dollar General or Dollar Stores?

Sure, it exists...in some very isolated cases, but generally, no.

And, for markets where Walmart does dominate, who made that choice? Local shoppers did. Why? To "save money".

Pixieish

Sure, it exists...in some very isolated cases, but generally, no.

And, for markets where Walmart does dominate, who made that choice? Local shoppers did. Why? To "save money".

We have a super-Walmart. It was AWESOME when it first opened...low prices, great selection, always had everything...10 years later it's the most God-awful place ever. They're always out of major weekly staples, the produce looks like it fell off a truck somewhere along the lines, and they have 600 different brands/flavors of salsa, but nothing in the way of cheeses for crackers. This doesn't even account for the fact that they almost NEVER have enough registers staffed now. Our other choices are Star Market (sorry, not going there) or Stop & Shop - which has semi-better produce, but is expensive as all get out.

My theory is that Walmart pulls a bait-and-switch every time they open a new store.

The_Jobu

they have 600 different brands/flavors of salsa, but nothing in the way of cheeses for crackers.
tenor.gif

AEfx

If you are in a market where you are 30 miles from a Whole Foods, I call shenanagins on everything else you said.

Choosing to shop at Walmart, for concenience or price, does not make it “the only option”.

It is the option you choose.

There is ONE in my entire STATE.

You are an idiot.

It is the option you chose.

Last edited:

AEfx

You ever fed a family on food from "Dollar Stores" which sell mostly unhealthy prepackaged and/or junk food?

It dominates in many areas now. And It cannot be undone.

So why do you want people to go hungry now because of things people did 10, 15 or more years ago?

Ugh, I am now remembering why I had you on ignore.

AEfx

Just get a better job. Stop spending on luxuries like heat, electricity - but keep spending more on gas, so you can drive sixty miles round trip to get there. If you really cannot afford Whole Foods, then grocery shop at the Dollar Store. But be careful, since you'll only be eating carbs and unhealthy processed, prepackaged food, next we will be coming after you about being overweight.

See, it's so easy to live the "clean" life away from Wal-mart.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's just...not reality for many people.

I don't even live in "flyover" country, and for many, Wal-mart is the only option within a reasonable distance, particularly the only one they can afford.

When I was a kid, the area was full of regional retail store chains. Systematically, every one of them went out of business fifteen or more years ago. As have any "independent" stores because of Amazon. Target started to come to the area about ten years ago in a few smattering places, but their prices are simply higher and they don't carry a lot of the same merchandise and for most people they are another ten or twenty mile hike.

On the grocery side, every independent grocery store has also gone out of business. We have two regional chains remaining, one of which (Shaw's) has been rated the worst grocery store in America. I went to one for the first time in years the other day. A bag of frozen veggies, the same brand and size, cost $2.79 there. At Wal-mart, it's $1. The other chain, they don't carry nearly the breadth of product, so I can't get the same brand - but the equivalent they do have (when they aren't out of stock) is $2.

I suppose I could drive 30 miles to Whole Foods, where I can spend a week's worth of grocery money and get enough for two or three days.

I do buy most merchandise I can through Amazon, because the damage is already done with them. The business they drove out are never coming back. And I literally cannot buy many of the things I purchase "locally" unless I travel to the next state anymore. But when it comes to the basic necessities of life, I'd either go to Wal-mart, or go without.

Your experience is typical in small town america.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We have a super-Walmart. It was AWESOME when it first opened...low prices, great selection, always had everything...10 years later it's the most God-awful place ever. They're always out of major weekly staples, the produce looks like it fell off a truck somewhere along the lines, and they have 600 different brands/flavors of salsa, but nothing in the way of cheeses for crackers. This doesn't even account for the fact that they almost NEVER have enough registers staffed now. Our other choices are Star Market (sorry, not going there) or Stop & Shop - which has semi-better produce, but is expensive as all get out.

My theory is that Walmart pulls a bait-and-switch every time they open a new store.

It's called 'Predatory Pricing' where the large chain 'discount' store sells below cost to drive the local competition out of business, Once this is done prices are raised and selection is cut back and another town's local economy is destroyed.

An excellent but dated book on the process is here

https://www.amazon.com/great-discount-delusion-Walter-Nelson/product-reviews/B0007DF5L4

Also available on Google Books

FigmentForver96

Just get a better job. Stop spending on luxuries like heat, electricity - but keep spending more on gas, so you can drive sixty miles round trip to get there. If you really cannot afford Whole Foods, then grocery shop at the Dollar Store. But be careful, since you'll only be eating carbs and unhealthy processed, prepackaged food, next we will be coming after you about being overweight.

See, it's so easy to live the "clean" life away from Wal-mart.
Ehh I still prefer Target over Walmart. Luckily mine isn't so far and I'm willing to pay the extra bucks. (Not to mention Target can run some good sales). For fresh foods I just hit up Lucky's Market across from Target which is organic produce for cheap prices. But I get it doesn't work for everyone.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

AEfx

Ehh I still prefer Target over Walmart. Luckily mine isn't so far and I'm willing to pay the extra bucks. (Not to mention Target can run some good sales). For fresh foods I just hit up Lucky's Market across from Target which is organic produce for cheap prices. But I get it doesn't work for everyone.

Unfortunately, when it comes to groceries, the Targets in my area (3 in a 60 mile raidus) have tiny food sections. Basically frozen stuff and junk food/cookies/chips/etc. And truthfully, Target isn't really much better a "corporate citizen" than Wal-mart, when you really come down to it, if that is the reason to avoid Wal-mart.

We have had a few small independent grocery stores pop up, but they only last a year or two. When they do show up, I use them - the last one was great because they had a lot of good meat sales, so you could stock the freezer - but then they disappear because either they have to charge too much for people to be able to do "real" grocery shopping there, or they have prices so low they can't stay in business.

truecoat

After Amazon purchased Whole Foods, I believe they had price reductions as much as 43%. Not sure if it's still out of your price range but maybe second look might be in order.

AEfx

All "organic" and "natural" and "local" foods. Aimed at upscale suburban and city demographics.

And keep in mind I assume he is putting those words in quotes because much of it is proven BS (they have been caught repeatedly). They also end up doing exactly what Wal-mart has done, just in a different way - they put other smaller, independents out of business who truly do source locally, with their combination of marketing and brand name cache (much like Apple/iOS fanboys) which makes people feel elite and truly think they are shopping at some "farmers market" when they are just supporting another big corporation (long before Amazon bought them).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom