A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

the.dreamfinder

WDW is starting to feel the "we announced something huge, and people are postponing until SW:GE opens". 2018/early 2019 is going to be a weird period.

It's the proverbial "calm before the storm".
I wonder how Disney would deal with the backlash when hotel/ticket prices are that much higher in two years. Not including the prospect of paid guaranteed access to Galaxy’s Edge on top of general admission.

Because people plopping down thousands of dollars for Disney vacations can demand a lot more than gamers ed off at loot boxes.

Or vacation goers compensate and stay off property and cut their days at the world down.

bhg469

WDW is starting to feel the "we announced something huge, and people are postponing until SW:GE opens". 2018/early 2019 is going to be a weird period.

It's the proverbial "calm before the storm".
Calm before the tsunami! They will not be able to handle the crowds. Once it enters the real opening dates, people will be very angry to find out their precious children will have to wait an entire day to just walk into the land. The opening of pandora wasn't 1/10 the level that will happen.

disneyflush

My family settled on September of 2019 as the next trip date based on how they consume Disney at this point. It is too expensive to go every year while saving for college and everything else parents should do for their kids. Attendance should definitely decrease moving forward for whatever percentage of the population that views a WDW trip as an event and not an annual must-do. I would assume late 2018, early 2019 will see very strong discounts being offered as people sit and wait for the opening dates of Star Wars to get finalized. I could see quite a few 'For a very limited Magical time..' type of discounts starting late summer 2018 and running through March of 2019. Buy 4 Get 3 Free, Free Dining plus..free Park Hoppers, etc. Should be really interesting.

trainplane3

Never would have imagined another star trek let alone a star trek parody that holds up to the genre very well and gets some fairly deep story lines.
...and without needing to have some massive overarching plot where if you miss an episode, you miss a lot. I enjoy each episode being its own "thing" but the big thing nowadays is to have a long single plot. TNG did it well with referencing previous "happenings" but if you missed it, you weren't in the dark. But with STD being more Star Trek, it's becoming easier to actually enjoy. I'm curious how the spore drive fails (aside from using people as it's "computer") or if it turns into the newer failed transwarp drive. Obviously something happens for them not to use it anymore.

bhg469

...and without needing to have some massive overarching plot where if you miss an episode, you miss a lot. I enjoy each episode being its own "thing" but the big thing nowadays is to have a long single plot. TNG did it well with referencing previous "happenings" but if you missed it, you weren't in the dark. But with STD being more Star Trek, it's becoming easier to actually enjoy. I'm curious how the spore drive fails (aside from using people as it's "computer") or if it turns into the newer failed transwarp drive. Obviously something happens for them not to use it anymore.
That is an interesting plot and my guess is that when the series wraps up, Michael may be the one that stops it, in another, more successful mutiny but star fleet wouldn't just give up if Discovery was destroyed. Something more sinister has to be happening as a result of using the spores.

bclane

Yah, something is gonna have to change and i think the last episode taught us that the spore drive’s days are numbered. What and when will be it’s ultimate end is still a question though. I can’t wait to find out where they are now!

Mike S

Looks like Universal not only got Nintendo theme park rights but also movie rights...

https://www.avclub.com/mamma-mia-the-studio-behind-minions-might-make-a-super-1820436089
This has me hesitant. On one hand, their only really good movie was the first Despicable Me with others being only ok or completely meh. On the other hand, one of Nintendo’s biggest regrets about the bad Mario movie from 1993 was that they didn’t have any real control on the project which likely changed this time around.

I would’ve preferred Disney tbh.

MrPromey

This has me hesitant. On one hand, their only really good movie was the first Despicable Me with others being only ok or completely meh. On the other hand, one of Nintendo’s biggest regrets about the bad Mario movie from 1993 was that they didn’t have any real control on the project which likely changed this time around.

I don't think Disney and Nintendo would have been a good fit on this front. Both brands are just too strong and too iconic. I think they would have had a difficult time collaborating because for it to be Nintendo, it has to feel like Nintendo - not Disney but to be Disney, it has to feel like Disney and if Disney can't put their recognizable mark on it, there isn't any real value in them pursuing it.

A Nintendo cameo in Wreck-it-Ralph work because that's just what it is - a cameo. Anything beyond that and I think it gets difficult for both sides... Still, it would have been nice to have a reliable expectation of quality from the studio producing it, at the onset.

brb1006

Mario at the Disney parks almost happened back when the live-action Mario film was new. It died when it flopped.

michmousefan

Yah, something is gonna have to change and i think the last episode taught us that the spore drive’s days are numbered. What and when will be it’s ultimate end is still a question though. I can’t wait to find out where they are now!
Very pleased with Discovery... I have to watch it again, but at the end of that final jump...
it appeared that there was a mirror-split thing going on, so I think that they are in the "mirror universe" or another one like it. Maybe Lorca is looking for a parallel universe where his previous crew and ship are still alive and he wants to bring them back?

As for The Orville, I also am enjoying it more and more. I think the first few eps they were finding their footing on that admittedly untrodden path between comedy and drama. Friends keep assuming it's a parody, and I have to correct them that it most certainly is not. It's just as earnest as ST is... maybe even more so sometimes (part of the issue with the comedy not fitting perfectly at every point).

bclane

That is an interesting plot and my guess is that when the series wraps up, Michael may be the one that stops it, in another, more successful mutiny but star fleet wouldn't just give up if Discovery was destroyed. Something more sinister has to be happening as a result of using the spores.
I fully expect some mirror universe stuff to be featured and the direction they take this.
Very pleased with Discovery... I have to watch it again, but at the end of that final jump...
it appeared that there was a mirror-split thing going on, so I think that they are in the "mirror universe" or another one like it. Maybe Lorca is looking for a parallel universe where his previous crew and ship are still alive and he wants to bring them back?

As for The Orville, I also am enjoying it more and more. I think the first few eps they were finding their footing on that admittedly untrodden path between comedy and drama. Friends keep assuming it's a parody, and I have to correct them that it most certainly is not. It's just as earnest as ST is... maybe even more so sometimes (part of the issue with the comedy not fitting perfectly at every point).
agreed!

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

But universal will make toads minion level icons.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I like Despicable Me 2 over the first one actually.

Regarding Mario....the worst possible Mario movie has already been made, so it can only go up from there!!

the.dreamfinder

Looks like Universal not only got Nintendo theme park rights but also movie rights...

https://www.avclub.com/mamma-mia-the-studio-behind-minions-might-make-a-super-1820436089

I don't think Disney and Nintendo would have been a good fit on this front. Both brands are just too strong and too iconic. I think they would have had a difficult time collaborating because for it to be Nintendo, it has to feel like Nintendo - not Disney but to be Disney, it has to feel like Disney and if Disney can't put their recognizable mark on it, there isn't any real value in them pursuing it.

A Nintendo cameo in Wreck-it-Ralph work because that's just what it is - a cameo. Anything beyond that and I think it gets difficult for both sides... Still, it would have been nice to have a reliable expectation of quality from the studio producing it, at the onset.
I just have trouble seeing Nintendo agreeing to this. Right now, it’s only a rumor like the Zelda Netflix show that never happened.

To their credit, France has some of the best animation artists in the world and Illumination MacGuff has great CG animators. If anyone can animate these characters outside of Nintendo, its them. However, Illumination films reek of DreamWorks level executive meddling and paint by numbers storytelling. As a whole, the films are the poorer for it. Which makes the following tidbit all the more insightful.
Nintendo wants to be able to exert control over creative decisions.

So... Nintendo clearly wants to make films/tv shows with its characters, but only with partners if they accept their terms. That makes sense for theme parks, Nintendo has zero experience designing, building or operating theme parks. Filmmaking isn’t easy, but, like Marvel, it’s a skill Nintendo can and should develop. A distribution agreement with a large studio like Universal would give them the reach they need and allow them to have complete control over the creative output. Also, if you finance your films by yourself, you get the lion’s share of the gross and derivative revenues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom