A "Real" Toontown for MK?

Slowjack

I do, however, wish the Toontown area wasn't being tossed out for this. It was always a fun place for kids.
What? The elimination of Mickey's Shantytown(tm) is the key feature of this Fantasyland makeover! Seriously, though, and I say this as the father of a three-year-old girl, the point of WDW was to create a place that could be enjoyed by parents and children together, and Toontown Fair cut against that--it was always just for little children to enjoy. If it was something like the Toontown of DL I would miss it, but it's not.

DocMcHulk

They could build a more realistic toon town in DHS like they planned years ago. They just have to get around to talking to someone about doing it, then putting it in..
They planning on putting a ToonTown in Hollywood Studios? Can anyone elaborate? I've never heard this before.

bugsbunny

That seems a little dramatic.

While the current plans we have access to have that area closed off there is no reason something can't be moved or modified in the future to allow access to that northern patch of land. Just a quick glance at Google Maps shows 2-3 places where they can access that land.

I'm not sure if you have ever been back there, but if memory serves me right, that is the major entrance to the tunnels. It will be quite a feat expanding north and both conceiling and mantaining the usefulness of that entrance.

Disney actually filled in and redug entire canals along side DHS in order to build the stunt car show venue. Disney is in the business of doing the impossible...when they are properly motivated. Motivation = all about the Benjamins!

nuttypretzel

My guess is that the houses will go behind the east side of MSUSA. They demolished the Galaxy Theater to make a parking lot. Once the Tomorrow Land work is done, that should leave some available space behind the east side of MSUSA. They have the overflow exit access points next to Tony’s and near the hub. They could also make a back door access point from the Exposition Hall. A few toon houses should fit back there.

MickeyManiac02

Moving Toontown to Studios could be really cool. I read rumors online (though sadly far-fetched) of having a Maroon Studios area which could be a gateway into a cool Toontown area at Hollywood Studios.

I was even thinking with Beauty and the Beast having such a prominent area in the new Fantasyland, they could essentially remove BatB show at Studios and have an entry way to Toontown on Sunset Blvd. A Toontown like DLs (with the Toontown sign in the style of the Hollywood Sign on the mountain) could help it fit with the theme of Studios. :shrug:

Of course, all this is just bluesky ideas and wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

It looks like the easiest way to create guest access to the north would be to tear down the new restrooms being built in the provincial village. That's not really a very large obstacle.

Um, you could also re-route the tracks....expand outward towards the west a bit...maybe bubble out to the east, towards bay lake, right after the fantasyland stop...

I'd have to imagine that laying new track is no worse in than digging tunnels and such.
Why move the track? Just follow the lead of Disneyland, Disneyland Paris and now Hong Kong Disneyland by building outside the tracks.

They planning on putting a ToonTown in Hollywood Studios? Can anyone elaborate? I've never heard this before.
ToonTown and Maroon Studios (from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?) was planned for, if memory serves me right, where G-Force Records sits now.

bugsbunny

What's ironic about the whole ToonTown, Maroon Studios, Roger Rabbit thing is that its something that Eisner singlehandedly destroyed and everything out of it was watered down or a cheaply done afterthought. He hated pretty much everything about the movie, the script, and most important to him: how much it cost to make the thing. If I remember correctly, he actually fired everyone just before the movie came out which made it absolutely impossible to have a sequel. Turns out that the movie was a smash success and as usual, Disney had nothing to follow it up other then the rights to cheesy merchandising. Hmmm...seems he did the same with how he handled early involvement with Sixth Sense, Lost, American Idol, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Lord of the Rings, Miramax, etc. I'm sure I can dig up some more!

I think Eisner killed more things that went on to be successful then things he greenlighted that went on to be successful! :hammer:

The Empress Lilly

Disney can not prolong intellectual property rights to the Fab Five indefinately. The rights to Mickey, Donald and friends will in the foreseeable future expire.

Princesses and new franchises, like Stitch (the new Donald) and the fairies, seem to be the direction Disney needs to move in to.

A Toontown / Duckburg may never come to pass anymore.

jimmyritt33

What? The elimination of Mickey's Shantytown(tm) is the key feature of this Fantasyland makeover! Seriously, though, and I say this as the father of a three-year-old girl, the point of WDW was to create a place that could be enjoyed by parents and children together, and Toontown Fair cut against that--it was always just for little children to enjoy. If it was something like the Toontown of DL I would miss it, but it's not.

The expansion is all and well for parents of little girls, but what about me and my 2 sons? At least Toontown was neutral and not geared exclusively to one or the other. I guess it'll be an entire section of the park to skip.

GrumpyFan

As stated by others, I don't see it happening anytime in the near future. Truthfully, this version of Toontown was poorly executed and done somewhat cheaply. I really like the concept of Toontown and being able to go and see where the characters live and having a place to visit them. It would be nice to see them preserve or even rebuild Toontown elsewhere at WDW, perhaps at DHS, or even at Downtown Disney as a free walk-through type of attraction. If nothing else, maybe they could auction off some of the stuff as opposed to just destroying it.

steener618

The fireworks pits are right behind fantasyland too. An expansion to the north will also require the pits to be pushed back several hundred feet since there is a required amount of space needed between pyro and guests. Just throwing that out there as well.

steener618

I do hope WDW gets somthing similar to DL's ToonTown in some shape or form, because its so awesome. So well detailed and so creative.

I was impressed by DL's Toontown when I went to visit for the first time 2 years ago. I think MK should include that as well. Simply amazing creativity.

TP2000

I'm sure people thought the DLRR tracks were the perimeter of the park for DL, but they managed to shoehorn a tunnel between small world and the storybook canal boat/Casey Jr. and open up a whole new land. So there are ways around it. Just have to be creative.

Walt actually had the original 1955 track layout moved quite a bit to the north in 1965-66, opening up more land for It's A Small World in '66 and future developments like Videopolis in '85 and Toontown in '92.

WDW could move the railroad tracks if they wanted to. It's been done before at Disneyland.

Slowjack

The expansion is all and well for parents of little girls, but what about me and my 2 sons? At least Toontown was neutral and not geared exclusively to one or the other. I guess it'll be an entire section of the park to skip.
I guess I don't see the Little Mermaid ride as off-limits to boys. Or the re-imagined Dumbo ride. Or the B&B restaurant. Sure, I can see boys wanting to skip the princess & fairy meet-and-greets (until they hit puberty :animwink:), but that's not the totality of the additions.

EDIT: and also, when I said I was the parent of a three-year-old girl and I didn't mind Toontown Fair going away, I meant that even though my daughter would undoubtedly get a kick out of Toontown (an as-yet untested theory), it does absolutely nothing for me, whereas I think the new Fantasyland will be something we all enjoy. I don't think this is a net win just for parents of girls, but for all parents of small children who want to enjoy the parks themselves, and not just reflect in the glow of their childrens' faces.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom