A little review of Art of Animation!

Disney_Belle

Hey all! Kingdom Konsultant Agent Jessica here to show you some of the pictures I got from the Art of Animation opening today! I know many people are excited and curious about this resort and are possibly thinking about staying here. I've got two words for you - DO IT! The pictures I have in this thread are just from my phone. I won't be able to put up the pictures from my camera until I get home on Saturday. But enough about me, let's get to the good stuff!

I hopped a bus from DTD to AoA around 10:00 this morning. When I got to the resort there was a crew out front cleaning up from the opening celebrations. The large sketches along the front of the building were quite welcoming, very Disney. And they really got me excited for what was behind them. I walked into the lobby and literally got goosebumps. The color, the light, the pictures - oh, it was just all so lovely!

Upon entering Animation Hall from where DME would drop guests off, there is a large wall of sketches. These were real sketches used in making the four animated features - Cars, Lion King, Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid. The sketches start off simple. No color, no intricate details. As you progress into the lobby, they become more detailed, and by the end of the lobby, they are in full color. The checkin area is In front if a wall that Is illuminated with the colors of the rainbow. It's really just the right amount if color, opposite of the sketch wall. Just as you are ready to enter into what is the Ink and Paint Shop (merchandise store), both walls on either side of the store have oversized cells from the movies. In between the checkin area and the store is the Storyboard Chandelier. This beautiful piece hangs down from a skylight and shows off some of the storyboard sketches. John Lasseter from Pixar actually signed one of them, so make sure to look for it :)

Walking through the store, you then find yourself in the Landscape of Flavors food court. Now, let me say, I've stayed at every Value resort, multiple times, and this food court is a step way above all of them. There are a couple of grab and go areas to get bottles beverages, sandwiches, fruit cups, desserts, etc. And every meal station has not only fixed menu items, but "create your own" items too (burgers, salads pastas). And there are many healthier choices on their menus. There is one large beverage station in the center of the food court which has multiple filling stations. One thing I picked up on quickly with AoA, was the eagerness to keep it green. There are no plastic utensils, only metal. On too of the trash and recycling receptacles are bins for guests to put their used utensils. Also, there is no carpet in this food court, unlike the other values. The whole lobby, store and food court is tiled with recycled materials. The food court is large, with many registers. But what I found most interesting was how beautiful it was. Yes, I know, food court and beautiful are not words you would think to find in the same sentence. There is artwork all around the food court with scenes and landscapes from the films, and the lighting also is artwork in itself. And fun tip - look for the light that has the scene of Ariel's treasure trove. There is a little tribute to everyone's favorite mouse :)

I did have an opportunity to check out a Cars Suite! From the minute we entered the building, it was as if someone had plucked me out of my world and put me in Radiator Springs. The walls a lit with orange cone sconces and the room numbers are placed on what look like mini route signs. The hallway carpet boasts gold and reds, the colors of the famous Lightning McQueen. The rooms, oh, the rooms. Absolutely perfect. I don't even know where to begin. When entering the room, you come into the dining area, which can be transformed into additional sleeping space via the dining table/innova bed. And the sleeping Mater photo that works as the headboard when the bed is out is just the cutest. Who knew a tow truck could be so adorable? The living area space is great, a nice couch the pulls out for additional sleeping, a little kitchenette. The kitchenette actually reminded me of my Dad's garage with the toolbox look it had. Really cool for the car fanatics. There is a bathroom when you walk in as well, it's the smaller of the two. The second bathroom is bigger and is off of the bedroom, which also has a queen sized bed. Both the living room and the bedroom have windows. The room I toured was on the first floor and looked directly into the courtyard. The courtyard - my oh my. As silly as it sounds, I was so close to shedding a tear because I was so amazed at how stunning it was. We couldn't actually walk into it because they were still finishing up some projects. It was like being right in Radiatr Springs with all of our pals from Cars. Words can't explain how cool it was.

We also took a look at the Big Blue Pool. It is now the biggest pool on WDW property. It is a zero entry pool, and when you go under water, there are speakers so you can hear the music. And even cooler, you can sometimes hear Dory making whale noises or Mr. Ray giving us humans a science lesson. Super cool. There are some water play areas for the littler ones. Also, Squirt has a playground for the kids to have some fun in, too. And for the adults, The Drop Off is the pool bar where you can grab a nice beverage and hang out by the Big Blue.

All of the pool area and water play areas are gated. You will need your room key to access these areas. Also, room keys are required to entire the family suite buildings as well. These rooms keys are not like the other WDW resorts. They are RFID technology so all you have to do is swipe your key over the censors.

Okay, I'll stop with the talking soon and get on with the pictures. But before I do let me leave you with this. I have visited or stayed at every single Walt Disney World hotel. Art of Animation blew my expectations out of the water. It is so much more than a value resort. So, so much more. It's a completely immersive experience. Whether you're staying there or just visiting, when you walk through each of the courtyards for these movie themed buildings, you will feel as if you are a part of the characters' worlds. It is really just so very fun.

Okay, pictures to follow... providing the iPad cooperates :)

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Thanks for the pics and the review!
Great Job.

This resort looks amazing. I'm seconding guessing doing the CBR now..
I've never done a value....but AoA doesn't seems like a cut above the rest!

Wow!

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

Original Poster
Jill that is the Cast Member who was giving the tour :)

Tammy its a tough job, but someone's got to do it. But thank you very much for putting up the pictures :)

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

Great Review

Thanks Jessica for a wonderful review! The photos are just beautiful and I'm guessing the resort IS so much more then anticipated! I'm going with my Disney BFF November 24th and we are staying in the Little Mermaid Room - you have officially got me WISHING that 175 days was at zero lol Thanks so much again for your hard work :sohappy:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Maybe a Value Plus?? The Family Suite concept was really popular at the All Star Music so in order to have more of this type of accomodation to have 6 people in the one space, voila!!! Marie

Upvote 0

mickeymatt

Maybe someone will know the answer to this question. Will POP guests have access to the AoA pool and dining (mugs) kind of like PORS and POFQ? Just curious.

Upvote 0

NMBC1993

I just got back from my trip to the Opening of the AoA resort and have a few things to add.

When I walked into the resort I was really taken aback by the beauty of the resort, the pictures don't do it justice. Interesting enough, the most jaw dropping part of the lobby was the restrooms. As I walked up to the doors I thought "They could have don't a lot more with the entrance", then I opened the door and realized why they did it that way.

The Landscape of Flavors is very amazing as well. The food is very good and I can't wait to come back and try some more items. The music they play in the food court really turns me off as far as the atmosphere goes. All they play are pop remixes of the four Disney films. Another one of my complaints was the staff. I know the resort just opened but when I placed my order, the cashier couldn't figure out how to put my order in the computer, then I had to wait an additional 10 minutes for the item to be cooked. The trays that the burgers came on are not the best, they are metal trays with holes in the bottom and food sometimes leaked through onto the table. Also, as a huge fan of the Golden Peak's white tea with citrus the resorts carry and was disappointed to to see the food court didn't carry it. Afterwards, I went to the pool bar to check it out and had a chat with the bartender. I mentioned to him about the tea and it turns out they carry it at the side drink station right next to the bar...go figure:shrug:

The rooms themselves I thought were alright. There's just something about the Nemo section in general that just doesn't appeal to me. I think they went a bit crazy with the theme but I understand it's for families. The inside of the buildings themselves are very pretty and I spent hours walking through the halls looking at all the art. I got to check out the Cars section for a bit and I have to say I really want to stay over there...which is something I never thought I'd say. They really did a great job adding a theme but making it subtle unlike the Nemo section, plus the whole thing lights up at night:D

All in all I did enjoy my stay at AoA and plan on returning for a night in the Cars section for my birthday. Which just happens to be the same night the Dark Knight Rises opens:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe someone will know the answer to this question. Will POP guests have access to the AoA pool and dining (mugs) kind of like PORS and POFQ? Just curious.
In short no. The pool at AoA requires a room key from AoA to enter. Mugs are for the resort you purchased them at but we all the level of security that is placed on that rule. Restaurants are open to everyone regardless of if they are staying on property or not.

Upvote 0

tink65

Wow! Everything looks amazing! We are book in The Little Mermaid for December and can't wait to check it out. Your pictures making it even more exciting. Thanks so much for sharing!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom