A big difference I noticed between Disney and Universal

Goofyernmost

Correct. The long term popularity of a theme park attraction is based almost solely on the quality of the attraction and not the popularity of the movie or whatever ip it was based on. The Harry Potter areas of Uni will be a success long term because they kick ***. If they were half baked they would be popular for a year or two because it is an extremely popular franchise, but then the popularity would drop off. Frozen is the most popular ip Disney has had in years. Whether or not they create something using Frozen that will have long term popularity in the theme park(s) remains to be seen.
The only thing that I might add to that is that the IP does help to get people to look at it, and if they like it, quality may not be a factor. Toy Story is a good example. High quality... not so much. Fun to do... that it excels in.

Avatar is not as popular, right now, but, it is recognizable. Couple that with the fact that there is hardly anything else to do in DAK and it will certainly draw people to the park, currently popular or not. Keeping them coming will depend on quality.

squidward

Original Poster
The only thing that I might add to that is that the IP does help to get people to look at it, and if they like it, quality may not be a factor. Toy Story is a good example. High quality... not so much. Fun to do... that it excels in.

Avatar is not as popular, right now, but, it is recognizable. Couple that with the fact that there is hardly anything else to do in DAK and it will certainly draw people to the park, currently popular or not. Keeping them coming will depend on quality.

This is the part I'm not so sure about. People made (and are still making) trips specifically to Universal to see HP. I think people who are already going to AK will obviously check out Avatar and may even be blown away by it if it's done well. But I really don't see anybody making a special trip to Disney just to check it out. In other words, I don't expect to see a significant bump in AK attendance because of it the way Universal has seen it's attendance go up.

BrianV

This is the part I'm not so sure about. People made (and are still making) trips specifically to Universal to see HP. I think people who are already going to AK will obviously check out Avatar and may even be blown away by it if it's done well. But I really don't see anybody making a special trip to Disney just to check it out. In other words, I don't expect to see a significant bump in AK attendance because of it the way Universal has seen it's attendance go up.

Harry Potter is better IP than Avatar. I agree. (I doubt many here disagree!!). It brings guests to Universal. That could change with the new Avatar movies, but who knows. I doubt it. It will likely bring many many guests to AK at the expense of other disney parks, but I think I agree also that as if now, not many people will make a pilgrimage to wdw to see avatar world.

Star Wars is better IP than Harry Potter. If done right, Star Wars themed lands and attractions could be huge. I don't see Star Wars getting stale right away nor do I see them having a small window in which Star Wars needs to be added for it to be a success. Star Wars themed lands will bring people to orlando who otherwise might have stayed home, perhaps to a greater extent than Harry potter world.

These are just my opinions.

Goofyernmost

That's kind of hard to really know. HP is a big draw for Universal mostly because of the good press it got and the IP itself. Even I have gone to see it and have never read a HP book or seen any of the movies. But, I heard it was good, and I went to see just how good it was. But, I like Universal anyway. I cannot say that I went just because HP was there, it was just a plus.

Those the went to Universal "just to see" HP, is pretty misleading. They went to Universal, because that was where they could see HP. I'd have to bet that HP wasn't the only thing they saw. Since I wasn't a HP fan (still not btw) I did enjoy the attraction, and would go to see it again while I was there, but, it wouldn't be my main reason for going anymore then Avatar will be the main reason that people to go to WDW. While they are there, however, they may go to DAK where the otherwise wouldn't have, just to see what it was like. That's assuming it gets good reviews.

squidward

Original Poster
That's kind of hard to really know. HP is a big draw for Universal mostly because of the good press it got and the IP itself. Even I have gone to see it and have never read a HP book or seen any of the movies. But, I heard it was good, and I went to see just how good it was. But, I like Universal anyway. I cannot say that I went just because HP was there, it was just a plus.

Those the went to Universal "just to see" HP, is pretty misleading. They went to Universal, because that was where they could see HP. I'd have to bet that HP wasn't the only thing they saw. Since I wasn't a HP fan (still not btw) I did enjoy the attraction, and would go to see it again while I was there, but, it wouldn't be my main reason for going anymore then Avatar will be the main reason that people to go to WDW. While they are there, however, they may go to DAK where the otherwise wouldn't have, just to see what it was like. That's assuming it gets good reviews.

All good points, and I'm actually the same as you (though I have seen the Potter movies). I went to Universal because I love Universal. However, we're in the minority. Universal has seen HUGE spikes in attendance, no doubt due to HP. We know every year, no matter what Disney does, 18-20 million people are going to the Magic Kingdom. That's just the way it is. It's the 9-11 million visiting the other 3 parks that Disney needs to concern itself with. My opinion, and I could be totally wrong about this, is the 9-11 million people are the tourist segment, going to WDW and visiting all the parks. That other 9 million going to the MK are locals who know full well the MK is the best park. So I'd say I agree with you. If Avatar is done really well, we will see an increase in attendance at AK. Not from the tourists per say, but from the locals. Either way, that's Disney main concern, is getting the overall attendance numbers for the park up. I think the same can be said for Star Wars at DHS and Frozen (sadly) at Epcot. Disney execs no doubt see the race tightening, and if they didn't do something major at the 3 parks, at some point in the next 5 years, it is VERY possible the Universal parks will overtake them in attendance. From an image and publicity standpoint, that would be a nightmare for Disney.

NadiaBelle

Personal observation; all of the Disney parks are much more fat-friendly. I haven't had a problem fitting on any of the rides at any Disney park and I'm just shy of 500 lbs.

Universal, on the other hand, I have had lots of problems with. The shoulder restraints on rollercoasters at Universal are a real issue for big people and especially big women (big butt boosts you up!) One of the most embarrasing experiences of my life was on Ripsaw Falls (getting out at the end; very big person + wet feet and legs = bad combo!)

Chef Mickey

I as just at WDW for a week and the "Frozen Mania" talk is way overblown. Yes, there are meet and greets, merchandise, and I hate that they are killing Maelstrom for a ride, but I managed to avoid everything Frozen pretty easily.

It's not as "in your face" or widespread as people would make you believe.

Chef Mickey

I think the biggest difference here is that no matter how "tired" you are of Frozen, it's good content.

Fast and the Fruious is just absolute garbage. Terrible acting, ridiculous stunts, and the same story again and again.

Another reason I consistently say Universal can build whatever they want, but they'll always be behind Disney because of their subpar, lacking, and non classic content.

Daniel Johnson

Correct. The long term popularity of a theme park attraction is based almost solely on the quality of the attraction and not the popularity of the movie or whatever ip it was based on. The Harry Potter areas of Uni will be a success long term because they kick ***. If they were half baked they would be popular for a year or two because it is an extremely popular franchise, but then the popularity would drop off. Frozen is the most popular ip Disney has had in years. Whether or not they create something using Frozen that will have long term popularity in the theme park(s) remains to be seen.
Agree 100%. My wife made me watch the Harry Potter series way before we planned to go to UI/IOA. I got drunk through most of the movies. she read the books, she read all the other stuff about them...I didn't much care, I was excited to get back to ui because i was excited to get some new orleans style food..(New Orleans is my second home).
I was blown away by the theming of HP. The rides were amazing, the queues were spectacular. I didn't know anything of the train station, or that it was a ride. I was amazed, even the smaller details like the area around king cross is was jaw dropping when you first see it. My wife was unimpressed. To her it seemed to over done. She must have been drunk that day.

Case in point, I had no real interest in the hp areas, but I tell everyone now about it. The theming was 10 times what I got out of the actual movies. Imo of course.

I tried the gumbo since I went for the food...wished I would have eaten three broom sticks afterwards

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Another reason I consistently say Universal can build whatever they want, but they'll always be behind Disney because of their subpar, lacking, and non classic content.

Exactly. Disney has taken efforts to build cohesive brands and invested into keeping them in the public consciousness. When you say "Disney" you are automatically going to picture characters or films. When you say "Universal", well, MAYBE you'll think of one of the classic monster films, but other than that... Uni has to go to a lot of other companies to get well-known franchises, and the whole thing is a hodge-podge.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I as just at WDW for a week and the "Frozen Mania" talk is way overblown. Yes, there are meet and greets, merchandise, and I hate that they are killing Maelstrom for a ride, but I managed to avoid everything Frozen pretty easily.

It's not as "in your face" or widespread as people would make you believe.
Try again in a few months. Just like last summer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Fast and the Fruious is just absolute garbage. Terrible acting, ridiculous stunts, and the same story again and again..
Errrr.... that's called personal opinion.

Current gross takings says otherwise. Didn't it just beat your movie with "good content"?

Matt_Black

Errrr.... that's called personal opinion.

Current gross takings says otherwise. Didn't it just beat your movie with "good content"?

From a pure box office standpoint, yes. However, when you factor in home video, soundtrack, and merchandise, there is simply no comparison. Frozen beats Fast & the Furious, period.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From a pure box office standpoint, yes. However, when you factor in home video, soundtrack, and merchandise, there is simply no comparison. Frozen beats Fast & the Furious, period.
You're possibly right. I was indicating that "pure garbage" isn't a term that can be applied to a franchise that's obviously pulling in the crowds and the takings to get to its position in the ratings.

Frozen is indeed Disneys most valuable IP at present. Which is why it deserves more than a knee jerk reaction of being shoe horned into an area it doesn't belong in.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You're possibly right. I was indicating that "pure garbage" isn't a term that can be applied to a franchise that's obviously pulling in the crowds and the takings to get to its position in the ratings.

Frozen is indeed Disneys most valuable IP at present. Which is why it deserves more than a knee jerk reaction of being shoe horned into an area it doesn't belong in.
It's a valid observation. Fast and the Furious, to me, is adults playing with Matchbox Cars. It's not a classic, but it's still fun. Now, if the ride lasts for 20 years, we have an issue...but Uni is better about cycling rides and IPs than Disney is. As they should be, that's their gimmick.

Matt_Black

Well, it's not "high art" either. There are several factors as to why this installment is doing so well, including it being Paul Walker's last and the fact that there is a diverse cast which is why it is killing it in foreign markets.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well, it's not "high art" either. There are several factors as to why this installment is doing so well, including it being Paul Walker's last and the fact that there is a diverse cast which is why it is killing it in foreign markets.
dark-side-baby-o.gif

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Riiiggghhhtttt.....

And that's official? Or your interpretation?

Anyway, at least USF is getting yet another E Ticket from the franchise.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom