A big difference I noticed between Disney and Universal

Matt_Black

Certainly doing well isn't it? But of course like you said it'll never reach the corporate synergy of Frozen. Or milking to death depending on your point of view.

Was Lion King milked to death? Aladdin? Beauty & The Beast? No, even though all of those films got put in the parks quite a bit back in the 90s.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Was Lion King milked to death? Aladdin? Beauty & The Beast? No, even though all of those films got put in the parks quite a bit back in the 90s.
No, I don't think they were milked to death.

I don't recall two consecutive summers where a parks main movie synergy promotion was the same thing in an attempt to boost attendance as opposed to actually building quality attractions.

Aladdins Royal Carnival was quite a fun parade too. And a proper one.

I'll bow out of this back n forth now since we're clogging up the thread. Feel free to PM me.

Chef Mickey

Errrr.... that's called personal opinion.

Current gross takings says otherwise. Didn't it just beat your movie with "good content"?
Popular doesn't mean good always. Nicki Minaj and Iggy Azalea are popular too. People are dumb, but yes, all of this is just my opinion.

Besides, Furious 7 had the Paul Walker effect.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disney still crushes Universal and everyone else. Park attendance isn't close.
And? No one says otherwise.

What is good for Comcast is that percentage share and profits are increasing wildly. Which is where "seems to be working for them" comes into it.

Only an idiot would say Universal wants to be Disney.

What Comcast wants is a bigger slice of the pie.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I do agree but I feel one difference is the sales of movie related goods. I don't imagine parents would be buying stuffed vin diesels and other FF toys as much as they do frozen stuff. Of course I do imagine women might line up for 4 - 7 hours to get their hands on Vin...

This is actually quite true for Universal too probably.. Not many "Back to the Future" merchandise out there people would want to buy.. But imagine all the sales on Simpsons merchandise.

Want to sell Minion dolls without getting rid of the high-demand Nickelodeon merchandise?? Move Nickelodeon's store to the toon area and create a Despicable Me ride with a gift shop!

Shrek?? Pshhh.. Funny T-Shirts and Ogre ears all the way baby!!

The only place where this probably falls flat is really The Mummy... But it's a high demand thrill ride that people love, so..

Couldn't even find that many JAWS merchandise to sell... But Harry Potter?? PSHH!!!!! Put a gazillion stores in there, add a ride and make it an entire land, man!

As for Disney... Maelstrom merchandise vs. Frozen merchandise? Easy decision.

Just saying.. It plays a large role in both parks. Depending on HOW the movie can sell merchandise.

Chef Mickey

Certainly doing well isn't it? But of course like you said it'll never reach the corporate synergy of Frozen. Or milking to death depending on your point of view.
I think 7 movies is milking it pretty good.

Walker's death is a huge factor in its most recent success...which is fine. The content is still absolute garbage.

ParentsOf4

That's why I included that little word "always." Popular doesn't always mean good, but it surely does sometimes. In the case of Disney, popular is good but not in the case of Izalea or Minaj.
Let's see if I understand this.

Iggy Azalea and Nicki Minaj are popular but you personally don't like either so they are not "good".

Fast and Furious
is on film 7 but you personally don't like the franchise so it's also not "good".

WDW is the busiest theme park resort in the would but you personally like it so it is "good".

So popular means "good" only when you arbitrarily decide that it means "good".

Does that just about sum it up? :rolleyes:

Daniel Johnson

Yeah, Frozen is HUGE among boys in high schools all across the country. You say them roaming the halls all over the place with Frozen t-shirts.
0503151638_zpsybfmky2y.jpg

0503151638_zpsybfmky2y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Was at the mall today. Wondered into spencers this afternoon. They are sold out frozen t shirts, they are back ordered per the manager.
Also, I was with my god sisters last weekend and they wanted to go to hit topic while we were in Atlanta. The sheer amount of men's and women's frozen clothing was atonishing... I don't think it's just a young girl movie...heck, i might wear a frozen shirt!

Attachments

• 0503151638.jpg
    0503151638.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Let's see if I understand this.

Iggy Azalea and Nicki Minaj are popular but you personally don't like either so they are not "good".

Fast and Furious
is on film 7 but you personally don't like the franchise so it's also not "good".

WDW is the busiest theme park resort in the would but you personally like it so it is "good".

So popular means "good" only when you arbitrarily decide that it means "good".

Does that just about sum it up? :rolleyes:
Nobody said I was fair and balanced. I just call it like I see it and I of course think I'm right.

ParentsOf4

Nobody said I was fair and balanced. I just call it like I see it and I of course think I'm right.
Yes, I'm sure you think you're right.

Of course, I could tell you that some professionals I work with consider anything less than the Louvre to be infantile American pop culture and think Disneyland Paris is an insult to France, never mind what a farce they consider WDW to be but, hey, you’re the arbiter of what’s "good" so what the heck do they know? :D

squidward

Original Poster
Disney still crushes Universal and everyone else. Park attendance isn't close.

Not sure where you're getting your information from, but this is not true. Yes, the Magic Kingdom crushes everyone else. However, the remaining 3 Disney parks were just barely ahead of IoA as of 2013. With the opening of Diagon Alley, 2014 attendance figures are bound to make the race that much closer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom