A big difference I noticed between Disney and Universal

squidward

Original Poster
Not meant to be a which is better type thread, but just an observation. Universal owns the Fast and Furious series, which has grossed over $3.6 billion. Part 7 alone, in just it's 4th week, is going to pass Frozen on the list of all time biggest movies. Yet while Disney has basically turned WDW into Walt Frozen World, Universal hasn't shoved any F&F attractions down our throat. I'm sure at some point, they will. They'd be kind of crazy not to. But jeez, can you imagine if it was Disney? "It's made a billion dollars worldwide guys....Let's close down a couple classic rides, throw some F&F in there, have a Vin Diesel lookalike meet-n-greet, change Lights Motors Action to a F&F stunt show, change Test Track to a F&F theme, change Indy Speedway to an F&F theme."

The point I'm making is I used to think Universal had gone a bit overboard with the Harry Potter stuff, but there's obviously a time tested product there. Same goes for F&F. The 1st one came out 14 years ago. Disney on the other hand just grabs whatever is hot, gives no thought to the future, and milks the cow for all it's worth. In a kind of backwards way, that's what they're doing with Avatar. It's as if they checked out the top 10 money makers of all time and realized they had their pick of Avatar or Titanic and went with Avatar.

Arthur Wellesley

have a Vin Diesel lookalike meet-n-greet,
I do agree but I feel one difference is the sales of movie related goods. I don't imagine parents would be buying stuffed vin diesels and other FF toys as much as they do frozen stuff. Of course I do imagine women might line up for 4 - 7 hours to get their hands on Vin...
It drives me crazy when I'm at WDW, just walking around & minding my own business...people take one look at my biceps and automatically assume I'm a Vin Diesel meet & greet.

Gets really old really fast.

mergatroid

I think there's a few differences that have been ignored here. For instance if you're not a Harry Potter fan you could argue that two big sections at Universal have been given to Harry Potter stuff at the expense of an older classic. This was done for financial gain and whilst it's been done well, it was done purely because of the popularity of the 'franchise' similarly to Frozen.

The other thing to remember is the marketing demographic of Frozen and F&F. Your average 4-12 year old (?) girl who likes Frozen will want a dress, a book, a meet and greet and all the other jazz that Disney markets. Your average 12 - 45 year old male (we mature much slower than females) probably doesn't want anything like that related to F&F as it's not cool. I could be wrong of course but Disney has long catered for 'youngsters' far more than Universal has so I'd imagine it will long continue at Disney, it's supply and demand really and there's certainly a big demand for Frozen.

As for Avatarland, we'll have to wait and see how that goes. However if it's done as well as some are suggesting then it will be a magnificent addition even for those not that into the movie (similarly to Potter).

Last edited:

Matt7187

I thought I saw somewhere that in the Twister building there was gonna be some sort of F&F simulator, but I'm not sure. I personally feel like the TT system lends itself perfectly for the franchise, and a simulator would just be so Universal, even more screens! :p

CaptainAmerica

Walt Frozen World? Your post can be dismissed on its face for such a ridiculous comment. What does WDW have that's Frozen related? A meet and greet and a temporary stage show. Ermahgerd so much Frozen stuff.

Can we please put some effort in as members and stop starting ridiculous threads that could fit perfectly fine within ten different existing threads? It's not the mods' fault because there would need to be hundreds of them to manage it, but this has to be the single most disorganized forum I've ever been a part of because people think that the random Disney thought they had during their morning visit to the bathroom warrants its own thread. Use existing threads, the search function, Google, and Disney's many websites.

Brer Panther

I blame Bob Iger for the Frozen overload.

Also, how is the stage show "temporary"? It was meant to be at first, but I doubt they're gonna get rid of it for a while...

CaptainAmerica

I blame Bob Iger for the Frozen overload.

Also, how is the stage show "temporary"? It was meant to be at first, but I doubt they're gonna get rid of it for a while...
Frozen Summer Fun
Don’t miss the royal return of Frozen during this frosty summer celebration—LIVE! at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Disney's Hollywood Studios®

Walt Disney World® Resort

Valid Park Admission Required

Special Event
June 17 - September 07, 2015

You and I have very different ideas of what constitutes "overload." I get that everyone is y because Frozen is so prominent in pop culture in general, but it's presence at WDW is really quite mild.

Also, blame Bob Iger all you want. I doubt he even knows that Frozen is in WDW.

squidward

Original Poster
Walt Frozen World? Your post can be dismissed on its face for such a ridiculous comment. What does WDW have that's Frozen related? A meet and greet and a temporary stage show. Ermahgerd so much Frozen stuff.

Can we please put some effort in as members and stop starting ridiculous threads that could fit perfectly fine within ten different existing threads? It's not the mods' fault because there would need to be hundreds of them to manage it, but this has to be the single most disorganized forum I've ever been a part of because people think that the random Disney thought they had during their morning visit to the bathroom warrants its own thread. Use existing threads, the search function, Google, and Disney's many websites.

You may not have heard, but they just closed down one of the classic Epcot attractions, in World Showcase no less, to put an entire Frozen pavilion in. Last summer, it was all over the parks. Frozen nighttime spectacular at the Studios, meet and greet at Magic Kingdom, change of the nighttime Christmas show at Magic Kingdom to be Frozen themed.

If you think a thread is ridiculous, move on. Are we paying per post now?

squidward

Original Poster
As for Avatarland, we'll have to wait and see how that goes. However if it's done as well as some are suggesting then it will be a magnificent addition even for those not that into the movie (similarly to Potter).

That's a good point. I'm not a big Potter fan, but find Diagon Alley to be amazing, as well as Hogwarts. So for someone like myself, it could be interesting. However, in general, we already know of the Potter craze and it's longevity. We don't have any reason to believe that Avatar will be the same.

squidward

Original Poster
So Beauty and the Beast has a stage show, a walkthrough and a restaurant in the form of a castle. Not to mention gastons tavern. I guess that's overload too then.

Beauty and the Beast is a time-tested classic that people of all ages love. Frozen's popularity is pretty much limited to young girls. Plus, it's in the Magic Kingdom, right where it belongs. They didn't toss the restaurant in place of Chefs De France just because the movie takes place there.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Beauty and the Beast is a time-tested classic that people of all ages love. Frozen's popularity is pretty much limited to young girls.

oh. Ok. So you decide the rules of when disney should use its IP...if it doesn't fit your argument and preconceived notion.

If this is about Frozen taking over the Norway pavilion, there is a thread for that. But there is not a need to pretend frozen is taking over the parks with a bunch of permanent attractions. Just stop the exaggerations.

Matt7187

tumblr_inline_ndqc17q6TM1sqqavy.jpg

CaptainAmerica

You may not have heard, but they just closed down one of the classic Epcot attractions, in World Showcase no less, to put an entire Frozen pavilion in. Last summer, it was all over the parks. Frozen nighttime spectacular at the Studios, meet and greet at Magic Kingdom, change of the nighttime Christmas show at Magic Kingdom to be Frozen themed.

If you think a thread is ridiculous, move on. Are we paying per post now?
Beauty and the Beast: Stage show, interactive meet and greet show, restaurant with meet and greet, Gaston meet and greet, second restaurant.

The Little Mermaid: Ride, stage show, meet and greet, entire building at DAAR.

Finding Nemo: Ride, stage show, turtle talk, entire building at DAAR.

Toy Story: Ride, ride, MK meet and greet, DHS meet and greet, toy soldier atmosphere entertainment

Cinderella: Park icon, carousel, character meal, meet and greet, movie prop photo opportunity

Pooh: Ride, meet and greet, character meal

Peter Pan: Ride, PP meet and greet, Tink meet and greet, Wendy meet and greet, fireworks

Mickey and friends: :rolleyes:

Ooh and I didn't even count parade floats.

Please, for the sake of intellectual consistency and just plain not being a hypocrite, start a thread complaining about each of those franchises and how awful Disney is for shoving them down our throats. Please be sure to blame Bob Iger by name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom