A big difference I noticed between Disney and Universal

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yeah. Are there really people who think that Frozen won't remain "popular" for the long term? Not the 2014 level of hype, but why wouldn't it plateau at the same level of popularity as other Disney animated films of the type?
Frozen will remain popular, but I think there may be a difference in long term popularity of Frozen vs classic Disney animated films such as Snow White, Cinderella or even BatB or Little Mermaid.

The difference being that those films were released in a day and age when the market was not constantly being flooded with new movies every two weeks and people had to wait over a year or two before a movie was available on VHS. It allowed kids (and adults) to yearn for more over a longer period thus allowing for a more long term passion to be born. If you wanted merchandise for those films you had to actually go to the store. You couldnt just log on to Amazon in 1989 and buy stuff. Going to the store to buy a toy was big deal for kids. Not that people dont do it anymore, but back then it was the ONLY way aside from the Sears catalog. I still remember when my parent would take us to the store for a specific toy. We could hardly sleep the night before knowing we were gonna get the Han Solo blaster gun at Toys R Us the next day. I doubt kids now will remember the day their parent went online and ordered they Elsa doll with overnight shipping.

The market is saturated now. Ive seen Frozen merch everywhere from Home Depot to the gas station. Kids have the DVD within 3-6 months and are watching it in the mini van on the way to soccer practice and then on Moms smart phone in the grocery store. Not saying thats a bad thing either, it just allows them to get bored with it more quickly and move on to the next thing. My niece was head over heels in love with Frozen and by last Christmas she just kinda shrugged at the Frozen gift I gave her. She still loves the movie, but doesnt watch it anymore.

I think Frozen will always be popular for this generation, just in a different, less beloved, less important way.

Goofyernmost

Frozen will remain popular, but I think there may be a difference in long term popularity of Frozen vs classic Disney animated films such as Snow White, Cinderella or even BatB or Little Mermaid.

The difference being that those films were released in a day and age when the market was not constantly being flooded with new movies every two weeks and people had to wait over a year or two before a movie was available on VHS.
The wait for VHS was a lot longer then that. It was 40 or 50+ years before VHS was even invented. TV didn't show movies, in fact, there was no wide spread TV at the time. The only way you saw a film was at the movie houses. It was also a fairly new concept at the time as well. When you see something originally, it leaves much more of an impact then if it is something that you can and do see everyday. It is comperable to the Omni-mover ride vehicles. When they first came out, the impression they left was awesome. Now, yawn... it doesn't go fast enough or high enough and AA's are old news. Each generation builds it's own memories. As much as I hate to even think it. Frozen can easily become the Snow White of our time.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The wait for VHS was a lot longer then that. It was 40 or 50+ years before VHS was even invented. TV didn't show movies, in fact, there was no wide spread TV at the time. The only way you saw a film was at the movie houses. It was also a fairly new concept at the time as well. When you see something originally, it leaves much more of an impact then if it is something that you can and do see everyday. It is comperable to the Omni-mover ride vehicles. When they first came out, the impression they left was awesome. Now, yawn... it doesn't go fast enough or high enough and AA's are old news. Each generation builds it's own memories. As much as I hate to even think it. Frozen can easily become the Snow White of our time.
I agree. It very well could be the Snow White of this generation but do you think it will be beloved in the same way? Going out to the theater was a major deal back in the day. Now kids are barely impressed by imax 3-D. That's not to say that Frozen won't be special for some folks, but like I said, I think it will be loved in a completely different way. I'm not too old yet but I'm perplexed by the youth of America on a daily basis. I guess I'm older than I care to believe.

Goofyernmost

I agree. It very well could be the Snow White of this generation but do you think it will be beloved in the same way? Going out to the theater was a major deal back in the day. Now kids are barely impressed by imax 3-D. That's not to say that Frozen won't be special for some folks, but like I said, I think it will be loved in a completely different way. I'm not too old yet but I'm perplexed by the youth of America on a daily basis. I guess I'm older than I care to believe.
As a matter of fact, I do think it will be as beloved as Snow White. The reason is because it is the film that affected so many young people and their parents... all at the same time.

Personally, I wouldn't walk across the street to see Frozen anything, but, I do think that I can recognize a classic when I see one, and this is one. It touched so many people in whatever why it did. These kids will grow up and remember the movie and the time that they shared with their parents and it will always be a part of their unconscious and conscious minds. In spite of the strength of the song, they will not be able to "let it go".

The only personal connection that I can make to that phenomenon is my childhood memories of watching the (original) Mickey Mouse Club on TV. It hadn't been on the air for almost 50 years, the new one wasn't even a weak copy, and I went from Vermont to Anaheim for Disneyland's 50th anniversary because the original cast (with a couple of exceptions) were going to be there for their part of the Celebration. A grown man, in his mid fifties going all the way to California just to see those people that held such a nice place in my heart as I laid on the floor in front of the TV watching it and eating a Fluffernutter for a snack. It will fade, just as Snow White has faded, but, it will remain a big thing to a huge generation.

squidward

Original Poster
Obviously none of us can tell the future, but comparing Frozen to Snow White....way to early for that. Keep in mind, Snow White, in theaters, was seen by literally more than twice the amount of people that Frozen was. Mention the name Snow White to 100 people, and 100 people will know who you're talking about. Mention the names Anna and Elsa to 100 people, maybe 50 (and that might be high) will know who you're talking about. And I'm not talking about strolling through Main Street USA. I'm talking about walking down a street in any major city.

Matt_Black

Obviously none of us can tell the future, but comparing Frozen to Snow White....way to early for that. Keep in mind, Snow White, in theaters, was seen by literally more than twice the amount of people that Frozen was. Mention the name Snow White to 100 people, and 100 people will know who you're talking about. Mention the names Anna and Elsa to 100 people, maybe 50 (and that might be high) will know who you're talking about. And I'm not talking about strolling through Main Street USA. I'm talking about walking down a street in any major city.

While in theaters during it's initial run? Do you mean domestic or internationally? Because unless you can cite a source on that, I could theoretically believe the former, but not the latter.

And that's an unfair comparison anyway, even if it were true. Remember, in those days, home video didn't exist, and who knew if something would get a re-release in theaters. If you wanted to watch something, you got your butt to the theater or you might not get a second chance.

BrianV

Um, "Snow White" is in the title. Even people who have never seen the movie might well know that. How about asking a hundred people the name of the main character of these movies: Frozen, Sleeping Beauty, the Little Mermaid. I'm guessing that Frozen might actually win that head-to-head. And I'm also guessing that the classic Sleeping Beauty might lose that head-to-head.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Walt Frozen World? Your post can be dismissed on its face for such a ridiculous comment. What does WDW have that's Frozen related? A meet and greet and a temporary stage show. Ermahgerd so much Frozen stuff.

Can we please put some effort in as members and stop starting ridiculous threads that could fit perfectly fine within ten different existing threads? It's not the mods' fault because there would need to be hundreds of them to manage it, but this has to be the single most disorganized forum I've ever been a part of because people think that the random Disney thought they had during their morning visit to the bathroom warrants its own thread. Use existing threads, the search function, Google, and Disney's many websites.

You may not have heard, but they just closed down one of the classic Epcot attractions, in World Showcase no less, to put an entire Frozen pavilion in. Last summer, it was all over the parks. Frozen nighttime spectacular at the Studios, meet and greet at Magic Kingdom, change of the nighttime Christmas show at Magic Kingdom to be Frozen themed.

If you think a thread is ridiculous, move on. Are we paying per post now?

Just got back on Friday from a week at Disneyland. For those of you who haven't visited at all or since the behemoth called Frozen, there's an Anna and Elsa Boutique in Downtown Disney, along with the show at DCA. Not just a portion of another shop, but a shop all on its own. So to say that Frozen doesn't have much of a presence at either U.S. park is just plain ridiculous. And this year's 24-hour event? Yup, you guessed it. Frozen related.

I did notice, though, that not many little girls dressed up as their favorite Disney princess at DLR. Actually, very few kids dressed up as a Disney character, period.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Completely disagree. I think any girl (and her mother) under the age of 12 know who Anna and Elsa are - and not just those strolling down Main Street. Based upon my unscientific survey (i.e., the kids showing up at my house last Halloween), Anna and Elsa are very popular with that age group (girls under 12). I've never had a Snow White, Aurora, Jasmine, Ariel, Cinderella or any other Disney princess show up for trick or treats. But I've had plenty of Elsa's....... Oh, and one Jessie.

Fordlover

Just got back on Friday from a week at Disneyland. For those of you who haven't visited at all or since the behemoth called Frozen, there's an Anna and Elsa Boutique in Downtown Disney, along with the show at DCA. Not just a portion of another shop, but a shop all on its own. So to say that Frozen doesn't have much of a presence at either U.S. park is just plain ridiculous. And this year's 24-hour event? Yup, you guessed it. Frozen related.

I did notice, though, that not many little girls dressed up as their favorite Disney princess at DLR. Actually, very few kids dressed up as a Disney character, period.
We went to Frozen on ice recently when it was in Houston. Seats all completely filled from what I saw, and practically every pre-teen girl dressed up as E or A. Both my wife and I enjoyed Frozen, at least the first 25 times we saw it, and we are in our 30's.

jloucks

Disney on the other hand just grabs whatever is hot, gives no thought to the future, and milks the cow for all it's worth. In a kind of backwards way, that's what they're doing with Avatar.

Is Avatar hot anymore? Not really. Old news already.

...which is the problem with just grabbing.

worldfanatic

Despite what the haters think, 50-75 years from now, people will be watching and loving "Frozen" like they do "Pinnochio" & "Snow White" now.
The "Fast and Furious" franchise will be used an an example of how foolish and stupid our society was in the early part of the century.

Goofyernmost

Is Avatar hot anymore? Not really. Old news already.

...which is the problem with just grabbing.
It really doesn't have to be HOT, it only has to be creative and interesting. PoTC wasn't HOT when it was built, Spaceship Earth wasn't HOT when it was built and neither was the original Imagination and Horizons. If it is well done and interesting, it will draw people in. The idea is from the movie, it doesn't define the movie. 20K was created long after the Movie came out. Many of us, like myself never saw the movie, but, that didn't stop me from standing in line every time I went to WDW. It's like chef's would like you to believe... it's all in presentation.

squidward

Original Poster
Despite what the haters think, 50-75 years from now, people will be watching and loving "Frozen" like they do "Pinnochio" & "Snow White" now.
The "Fast and Furious" franchise will be used an an example of how foolish and stupid our society was in the early part of the century.

Can I have tomorrow's winning Powerball numbers please?

jloucks

20K was created long after the Movie came out. Many of us, like myself never saw the movie, but, that didn't stop me from standing in line every time I went to WDW. It's like chef's would like you to believe... it's all in presentation.

Ok, I can't really debate that point. I didn't even like the movie, but the attraction was awesome.

squidward

Original Poster
Ok, I can't really debate that point. I didn't even like the movie, but the attraction was awesome.

The problem with the ride was how slow loading it was. Haven't been to Disneyland, but I'm curious if Nemo's runs better than 20K Leagues did.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The problem with the ride was how slow loading it was. Haven't been to Disneyland, but I'm curious if Nemo's runs better than 20K Leagues did.

Having been on Nemo a couple of years ago and having been on 20K leagues many times, but not in quite a while (obviously), I think they both loaded at roughly the same rate. It can be a long wait.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It really doesn't have to be HOT, it only has to be creative and interesting. PoTC wasn't HOT when it was built, Spaceship Earth wasn't HOT when it was built and neither was the original Imagination and Horizons. If it is well done and interesting, it will draw people in. The idea is from the movie, it doesn't define the movie. 20K was created long after the Movie came out. Many of us, like myself never saw the movie, but, that didn't stop me from standing in line every time I went to WDW. It's like chef's would like you to believe... it's all in presentation.

Correct. The long term popularity of a theme park attraction is based almost solely on the quality of the attraction and not the popularity of the movie or whatever ip it was based on. The Harry Potter areas of Uni will be a success long term because they kick . If they were half baked they would be popular for a year or two because it is an extremely popular franchise, but then the popularity would drop off. Frozen is the most popular ip Disney has had in years. Whether or not they create something using Frozen that will have long term popularity in the theme park(s) remains to be seen.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Was there last week and stood in line longer than any other ride I did without fast pass, including Space Mountain. And the ride doesn't have fast pass....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom