News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

donaldtoo

I said this previously but I genuinely have not seen a single person defend the tile work in the Morocco pavilion. Usually there's at least a small group of people defending whatever Disney does but not this time.

Yep, I noticed that, as well.
I think it’s because, simply and truly, this is so ridiculously sub-par it’s indefensible.

Virtual Toad

I have the same book.
Don’t forget this story from John Hench on page 22…!!! ;):)

View attachment 789928
Absolutely pertinent! This should be plastered throughout the halls of WDI and in every Disney office building and hand-delivered to each and every Disney executive daily. It shows not only how appalling these cynical and incompetent hack job refurbs are, but also how additionally egregious they are because the Disney geniuses of old literally wrote the playbook for future Imagineers and decision-makers to follow.

If only they would listen....

Virtual Toad

I kid not, but boxes of these were seen yesterday carried by the contractors at the pavilion.

Please tell me they're not going to do even *more* of this nonsense!

This is MK train station DJ-level managerial incompetence. Why is it that Epcot, untold millions of dollars and a half-decade into its "Reimagineering," seems to be faltering and falling the most from its heyday? What is it about current Epcot park management that's allowing this kind of thing to happen? How can millions be wasted on disasters such as Harmonious but seemingly simpler projects such as working IP68 LED installations and tile refurbishments can also be botched so badly?

Time to bring in management that respects and understands why Epcot of all places should be held to a higher standard.

eddie104

Please tell me they're not going to do even *more* of this nonsense!

This is MK train station DJ-level managerial incompetence. Why is it that Epcot, untold millions of dollars and a half-decade into its "Reimagineering," seems to be faltering and falling the most from its heyday? What is it about current Epcot park management that's allowing this kind of thing to happen? How can millions be wasted on disasters such as Harmonious but seemingly simpler projects such as working IP68 LED installations and tile refurbishments can also be botched so badly?

Time to bring in management that respects and understands why Epcot of all places should be held to a higher standard.
Maybe somebody should be contacting Epcot’s park president for even approving this project that degrades any of the existing theming.

Stripes

Premium Member
I kid not, but boxes of these were seen yesterday carried by the contractors at the pavilion.

The company does make a “Moroccan” collection which is palatable, IMO.

Is it just the brand that was seen?

Disstevefan1

They're saying it would be better than what they did, not that it would be better than the genuine zellij it replaced. There are degrees.
ShowQualityStd.jpg

Failure2.jpg

V_L_Raptor

They're saying it would be better than what they did, not that it would be better than the genuine zellij it replaced. There are degrees.

Accepting awful thing vs. slightly less awful thing that's still awful when you get right down to it kind of sidesteps the issue of accepting the necessity of the degrees of awful things that shouldn't be in the picture in the first place.

eddie104

Accepting awful thing vs. slightly less awful thing that's still awful when you get right down to it kind of sidesteps the issue of accepting the necessity of the degrees of awful things that shouldn't be in the picture in the first place.
While I totally get your point wouldn’t you rather having something closer to the original versus bathroom tile?

James Alucobond

They weren’t saying that the awful thing should have been done at all, just demonstrating that it’s an even more spectacular brand of lazy that they couldn’t be bothered to purchase tiles labeled as Moroccan by the same vendor they already used.

V_L_Raptor

I understand that the original was in a state of degradation, but I haven't seen yet just why it was a lights-and-sirens emergency to make it look like the bathroom at some restaurant down the street now, of all times. It's not as though they were going to do much with the place outside of hosting the AP Lounge for a while, and they had plenty of time to research alternatives to potty tile.

They didn't even order the backsplash design.

James Alucobond

I understand that the original was in a state of degradation, but I haven't seen yet just why it was a lights-and-sirens emergency to make it look like the bathroom at some restaurant down the street now, of all times. It's not as though they were going to do much with the place outside of hosting the AP Lounge for a while, and they had plenty of time to research alternatives to potty tile.

They didn't even order the backsplash design.
They’ve been refreshing the pavement, paint, roofing, and more across basically every pavilion over the course of the past few years. This is probably part of that, but why it seems so uniquely poorly handled is anyone’s guess. Everything else they’ve done has seemed like either a lateral move or an improvement.

eddie104

They’ve been refreshing the pavement, paint, roofing, and more across basically every pavilion over the course of the past few years. This is probably part of that, but why it seems so uniquely poorly handled is anyone’s guess. Everything else they’ve done has seemed like either a lateral move or an improvement.
Which makes this choice so baffling?

How come the other pavilions refreshes have gone on without a hitch but this one area they decide to cheap out on?

Still hoping it’s only temporary and they are getting some tiles specially made in Morocco to be shipped once complete.

James Alucobond

Which makes this choice so baffling?

How come the other pavilions refreshes have gone on without a hitch but this one area they decide to cheap out on?

Still hoping it’s only temporary and they are getting some tiles specially made in Morocco to be shipped once complete.
I don’t think so. They’ve had no issue drawing out other renovations. I personally think it must have somehow been slipped through because someone decided it was particularly high-traffic and prone to damage, therefore warranting a cheaper-to-replace/repair treatment. Hopefully someone who actually cares will push back now that it’s been rightly amplified on social media for the downgrade that it is.

eddie104

therefore warranting a cheaper-to-replace/repair treatment.
I hate to say it but that’s probably part of the reason they make a lot of choices.

Like for example getting rid of the fountain in the Polynesian lobby. It’s just easier and more convenient/cheaper to maintain something less intricate.

Reading back in this thread everything was going well until those stupid tiles. 😡

lazyboy97o

This isn’t uniquely poor. It’s right in line with stuff like the expansion of the France Pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom