News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

Sir_Cliff

Its purpose is that it stands as World Showcase's sole representation of the Muslim world and the African continent. Italy too "lacks" an attraction, and no-one is suggesting that's redundant.
Indeed. I know the pavilion has been very mistreated by Disney, but taking out Morocco would in many ways be worse for World Showcase than taking out a pavilion like Germany or Italy as it's one of the very few pavilions that suggests there is a world beyond Western Europe and North America.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
At this rate I’d rather they have left it, patched as it was, if this was the only other option.

Those tiles are an offence to my vision.
This, 100%.

Went to see it in person, earlier today:
20240530_172044.jpg

The new tiles are generic, nothing special. The kind of thing you'd find at any Home Depot. They're also super glossy, so they clash with the rest of the pavillion.
20240530_194901.jpg

20240530_194841.jpg

What a shame. :(

LittleBuford

Morocco has in the past been my favorite pavilion for the level of detailing that went into it. I always enjoyed just taking in the vibe and the care that went into creating it.

But if this is the level of effort, or lack thereof, they’re planning on putting in going forward, I’d rather they just bulldoze it then slowly chip away at that detailing
That would be a shame and unnecessary. Yes, the planters are bad, but it would take a lot of chipping away indeed to deprive the pavilion of all the beautiful artistry it still possesses.

Sectorkeeper71

That would be a shame and unnecessary. Yes, the planters are bad, but it would take a lot of chipping away indeed to deprive the pavilion of all the beautiful artistry it still possesses.
Definitely some hyperbole from me, but just very frustrating to see Disney not caring about the detail and care that went into the pavilion.

I’m hoping the flack they’re getting pressures them to go back and fix it. If they need someone to take the subway tile, I’d love to redo my bathroom

Marc Davis Fan

Aren't all substantive changes during refurbishments supposed to go through SQS (show quality standards)? What happened, did they skip that step or did SQS actually review and approve this?

Honestly, this is just weird. That is not Moroccan tiling. This move is antithetical to the realism and immersion that Disney parks are all about.

It's easy to say this is small, but that's how "chipping away" works... the next generation will not be able to experience the beauty and authenticity of World Showcase if this sort of thing is a trend.

(Not to mention, for what it's worth... if they're so worried about people being upset by cultural insensitivity, you'd think replacing authentic Moroccan tiling with what looks like store-bought generic tiling in the Morocco pavilion would be considered pretty "insensitive." Especially while they're crowing about New Orleans artistry and such over at The Magic Kingdom.)

LittleBuford

Aren't all substantive changes during refurbishments supposed to go through SQS (show quality standards)? What happened, did they skip that step or did SQS actually review and approve this?

Honestly, this is just weird. That is not Moroccan tiling. This move is antithetical to the realism and immersion that Disney parks are all about.

It's easy to say this is small, but that's how "chipping away" works... the next generation will not be able to experience the beauty and authenticity of World Showcase if this sort of thing is a trend.

(Not to mention, for what it's worth... if they're so worried about people being upset by cultural insensitivity, you'd think replacing authentic Moroccan tiling with what looks like store-bought generic tiling in the Morocco pavilion would be considered pretty "insensitive." Especially while they're crowing about New Orleans artistry and such over at The Magic Kingdom.)
Your last paragraph sums up it up perfectly. They already botched it once before with the backwards Arabic; you’d think they’d have been anxious to avoid such cultural insensitivity a second time.

Disstevefan1

ShowQualityStd.jpg

Bocabear

I saw it this past weekend...the entire pavilion seems like a shadow of itself... My partner who doesn't tend to notice details as much pointed out the new planters and their bathroom tile...which I thought was funny...the Bazaar doesn't nreally exist anymore...the cultural displays are all gone... What the heck is going on that they would let this whole pavilion go like this?? We have not had any new country pavilions join the World Showcase in 36 years...So with no additions (that were supposed to happen) you would think they would continue to plus their existing pavilions...but sadly no. Even the Mitsukoshi department store in the Japan pavilion is looking like a Wal-Mart. They need to concentrate some serious effort on the World Showcase Pavilions...time to add attractions and tighten up the theming on all of them.

aladdin2007

I saw it this past weekend...the entire pavilion seems like a shadow of itself... My partner who doesn't tend to notice details as much pointed out the new planters and their bathroom tile...which I thought was funny...the Bazaar doesn't nreally exist anymore...the cultural displays are all gone... What the heck is going on that they would let this whole pavilion go like this?? We have not had any new country pavilions join the World Showcase in 36 years...So with no additions (that were supposed to happen) you would think they would continue to plus their existing pavilions...but sadly no. Even the Mitsukoshi department store in the Japan pavilion is looking like a Wal-Mart. They need to concentrate some serious effort on the World Showcase Pavilions...time to add attractions and tighten up the theming on all of them.
That has been scaled back and messed up too, no longer what it use to be.

Bocabear

I mean, seriously...these are not difficult fixes...It is clear to everyone that there is some major decline going on at EPCOT ..and the central dry garden area didn't fix it... It looks nice...except the center planter,... The lighting in the pavement is still broken, and honestly even the plastic coverings look terrible... Beat up, misaligned...
It is very sad to see them letting the World Showcase pavilions decline... with the exception of France that got a new ride. Now I feel like they don't need to start thinking about adding a new country until they go back and refresh all the originals...new attractions, Fresher and open shopping experiences etc. It is becoming sad...Like the new AP Lounge in Morocco...It just looks tragic...temporary table set up in the old restaurant... Glad they have an AP lounge...truly...and glad they are serving mint tea... (iced might have been nicer)...but it feels so poorly thought out and put together... Like everything else seems to be these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom