News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

MagicHappens1971

this is extremely upsetting when you look at Tianas and how they make such a big deal about hiring local artists for murals, weathervanes, music, etc.

That’s for an attraction based on a fairytale that is somehow in Frontierland….

Meanwhile…. An actual cultural showcase is getting this type of treatment?
Morocco is not a Disney IP, therefore they do not care.

James Alucobond

I kid not, but boxes of these were seen yesterday carried by the contractors at the pavilion.

The absolute least they could do is order some Escher diamonds to make some vaguely on-theme patterns. What they did looks like bathroom accent tile.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

OK, like I did in the other Morocco pavilion thread, I’m just gonna’ put all the pics I have of the artisan details at the Morocco pavilion from our 2013 trip here, for future reference to see how much more of it they may screw up in the coming years…

FF63A8D5-697F-4C91-A3D4-0D627C72E8FB.jpeg
A0D7BD80-2307-498F-A1CA-50475CF8B676.jpeg
5FA7AD14-5A43-497D-97ED-E821A935F2F6.jpeg
C7295A04-A155-4C7F-B1E0-D72489BBC10C.jpeg
0D10BFBF-7669-4CAD-A223-053DF403B5E7.jpeg
801B64D6-E459-4C84-8738-D2FE9EAA736D.jpeg
95787B92-267D-4159-86B8-A4FD18D81EF9.jpeg
F85E1A95-CD90-4FB0-A541-973EAEA90072.jpeg
97964811-CB2E-4B2F-B22F-EBC82FEFD0FF.jpeg

LittleBuford

One more pic from 2013 that I forgot…

View attachment 789902
I can’t imagine—as in really can’t fathom the possibility—that Disney would be so stupid as to replace actual wall tiles with the generic bathroom stuff. It sort of makes sense that they would be shortsighted enough to deem the planters less important, but surely there’s a line they wouldn’t cross in their mishandling of this pavilion.

Disney Analyst

I can’t imagine—as in really can’t fathom the possibility—that Disney would be so stupid as to replace actual wall tiles with the generic bathroom stuff. It sort of makes sense that they would be shortsighted enough to deem the planters less important, but surely there’s a line they wouldn’t cross in their mishandling of this pavilion.

From your lips to Disney's ears, please don't do it Disney.

donaldtoo

Yea, I really wonder how much negative feedback Disney has, or has not, gotten on this abhorrence…?
If I didn’t know any better, it’s like we’re bein’ punk’d……. :cyclops:

donaldtoo

I feel like Morocco has been running on auto pilot since 2020.

The lack of sponsor, combined with a lack of IP tie in and willing to invest, has let the pavilion fade into the background.

The tile work seems to be a symptom of this. Get some refresh work done while other pavilions are doing it, but don't stretch resources too far, because we don't know what to do with the space and it's not a priority to figure out.

Serious question…
Exactly why do you feel the Morocco pavilion needs an IP tie in…?!
I have, honestly, never understood the whole IP thing at World Showcase pavilions, in the first place.

donaldtoo

Good gravy. Even Busch Gardens Tampa has tile in their Morocco section that looks better:

View attachment 788129

I'm sorry, everyone involved should be fired. Especially those who inspected the finished work and allowed it to be visible onstage. It's another symptom of the ongoing collapse of institutional knowledge, care and concern WDW management (and those in the Disney corporate suite) have for their own brand. It's bad if Imagineering wasn't involved-- but much worse if they were.

John Hench wrote an entire book about the importance of placemaking called "Designing Disney: Imagineering and the Art of the Show." On page 20, he talks about what is supposed to be a key element of Imagineering-- standing up and fighting for quality as a sign of respect for the guest:

"Liking the guests is the key to everything we do.... To build effective story environments [we had to] take the guest's interests to heart and defend them when others didn't think that it mattered."

Hench then relates a story about when he worked for another film studio, doing special effects for a title that required an eagle to land on a rock and fold its wings. Hench continues:

"I was provided with an eagle that was too old to do the stunt, and stumbled on the rocks. We watched the dailies in a dark sweatbox. When the lights came on, I saw that one of the studio executives was in the booth watching with us. I said, 'I'll do this over again. We'll get the eagle to land right, so that it looks like a conquerer.' The executive said, 'No! we will use it. That's okay, the bastards won't know any different.' That was his attitude toward the people for whom he was supposed to furnish entertainment and amusement. He didn't like them. He didn't care. I have often since wondered how many people in business really like their customers."

I have the same book.
Don’t forget this story from John Hench on page 22…!!! ;):)

5B0F5CA8-581E-4A39-B1AB-E3259D808A47.jpeg

donaldtoo

All they had to do was follow the plan that is already painstakingly laid out for them... They didnt need to bring in a Moroccan artisan to do the work....just Replace like with like... That is all they had to do.... The designs , tile work, carvings etc were masterfully done and gorgeous. This was not an add-on...there was a road map already there on how to fix it...
Maybe this is the temporary and they have ordered new tiles to be made for them?...giving the benefit of the doubt there....

If this ends up being “temporary”, especially after it’s already been revealed, it’s only because they got enough pushback.

donaldtoo

We loved that restaurant and that counter service was the best quality counter service in all of EPCOT in my opinion.

We ate at Restaurant Marrakesh once, and other than DWifey, the rest of us enjoyed it.
She said the fish dish she ordered was too oily, so I finished her dish (I liked it), along with mine, and she ordered a salad.

Smugpugmug

Yea, I really wonder how much negative feedback Disney has, or has not, gotten on this abhorrence…?
If I didn’t know any better, it’s like we’re bein’ punk’d……. :cyclops:
I said this previously but I genuinely have not seen a single person defend the tile work in the Morocco pavilion. Usually there's at least a small group of people defending whatever Disney does but not this time.

donaldtoo

This, 100%.

Went to see it in person, earlier today:
View attachment 788529
The new tiles are generic, nothing special. The kind of thing you'd find at any Home Depot. They're also super glossy, so they clash with the rest of the pavillion.
View attachment 788533
View attachment 788534
What a shame. :(

How is the below even allowed to happen…?!?!?!
Aside from the fact that the tile is just so wrong on so many levels, true tile artisans would have made sure the tiles were made to line up, or they would have, at the very least, cut them to line up…!!!!! :facepalm:

8E87AB60-6CC7-4E3E-8CD3-335430F78D06.jpeg

donaldtoo

I kid not, but boxes of these were seen yesterday carried by the contractors at the pavilion.

I have no words, beyond the ones I just typed……. :cyclops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom